Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Ray Smuckles pours one out for Tiger's '09 Escalade. "Shit didn't have to be that way, Tiger. You coulda' taken the damn Buick."

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Deep Fried Candy Bars 8/27/03  (Read 4171 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Deep Fried Candy Bars 8/27/03
« on: August 28, 2003, 01:58:55 am »

Awesome pictures from the State Fair.  Loved the seed art.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Deep Fried Candy Bars 8/27/03
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2003, 02:43:04 am »

Seed Art! It reminds me of something that was ALWAYS at the Ohio State Fair, and I imagine at Minnesota's too: the life size butter sculpture. Yes, thousands of pounds of bovine mammalian breastmilk-fat congealed into the likeness of the said mammal. Or the kindly farmer who harvests said breastmilk. Or even, once, a John Deere Tractor, rendered entirely from the yellow, buttery goodness.

They would display the huge, perishable congealed masses in a refrigerated glass booth. I have no idea what would become of them when the fair was over.  Boggles the mind. I suppose some big company (Bob Evans comes to mind since it WAS Ohio after all) bought them and dropped them in the pat machine. Three thousand pounds of hard artwork reduced to 150,000 or so slivers of butter cruelly sandwiched between square-inch sized pieces of cardboard and wax paper.

Sad, really.
Logged

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
Deep Fried Candy Bars 8/27/03
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2003, 03:10:06 am »

The story about the gopher-mascot-things was pretty rad too.
Logged
goose means greedy

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Deep Fried Candy Bars 8/27/03
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2003, 04:08:36 pm »

Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
Ohio State Fair


Shit, Dawg, you from Ohio? I knew there was something familiar about you. I grew up in Dayton and Columbus. Howboutchoo?
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Deep Fried Candy Bars 8/27/03
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2003, 05:00:57 pm »

I spent my first fourteen years in Toledo.  (419 represent, baby)
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Deep Fried Candy Bars 8/27/03
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2003, 05:35:55 pm »

I grew up in NE Ohio - near Akron. Bath to be precise but it's not on every map.

JL-D, you from Toledo Proper or, say, Sylvania or Bowling Green? So many little towns up there.

Choop - I went to OSU 86-90, TONS of friends from SW Ohio - "greater Dayton" area - Tipp City, Huber Heights, Greenville, Troy...
Logged

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Deep Fried Candy Bars 8/27/03
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2003, 06:09:49 pm »

Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
JL-D, you from Toledo Proper or, say, Sylvania or Bowling Green? So many little towns up there.


Maumee, actually.  Most of my father's family is in the City and my mother's people are mostly in Holland.  Dad grew up on Manhattan in the Old Polish Village.  Grandpa worked at the Jeep plant during the War.  Mom went to Springfield High and she, her mother, and all three sisters worked at MCO.  An aunt and an uncle (on opposite sides) work at UT.  I was born at Flower and had my tonsils out at St. Luke's.  When I was a kid, there was a drive-in move theater where the 22-screen cineplex is now, and Tony Packo's chili sauce didn't come in a bottle -- it came on a hot dog.  

Going back makes me feel old.  It's what I love about Lileks (to swerve violently back on topic) -- the feeling that it's not just my hometown that's changed; we've all lost our innocence along the way.  And that there's a little bit of Fargo, NoDak -- and Toledo, too -- in every town, large or small.  Some things really are uniquely American experiences.  Like the state fair, and the way the landscape changes over time, and the sighs and groans of old men and women when the last vestiges of their youths come tumbling to the ground.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Deep Fried Candy Bars 8/27/03
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2003, 06:29:51 pm »

She's right, you know.

I grew up in a town with two stoplights.  It wasn't country exactly, kind of a rural gentrified suburb. Everyone was kind of spread out back then.  Now it's a sea of mini-mansions and there is Borders and a Super K-mart.

Our drive in is gone too; it went down with the ice-cream stand we used to drive to after little league.

I declared my childhood dead when Starbucks came.  The funny thing is, when I moved to Chicago, having all these things around was great.

So convenient!
So tasty!
I can get a book AND a latte at the same time? How great is that!

But back home all this meant was traffic. And widening lanes. And places I went when I was in High School disappearing. Fields turn into asphalt, trees turn into light poles, flowers turn into signs.  Burger joint:gone. Internet cafe: here. It's progress, in a way. Back when I was in high school we went to that place to socialize with real, human people.

This is some other kid's hometown. It isn't mine anymore. If he's lucky it will still be his hometown in 20 years.... But I doubt it.  I think the rate of change in places like this makes it impossible for people to identify with the place. It doesn't stay same enough from moment to moment to impact on your mind and form those memories. It's like a place you drove through on your way somewhere else.

And that's sad.
Logged

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Deep Fried Candy Bars 8/27/03
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2003, 06:49:25 pm »

I want to reply but I'm too busy weeping uncontrollably.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Deep Fried Candy Bars 8/27/03
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2003, 07:10:50 pm »

Jeez, it's like a bunch of Chrissy Hyndes in here.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Deep Fried Candy Bars 8/27/03
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2003, 07:34:51 pm »

Being from Akron, I hear you - even though I disagree so wholeheartedly with her politics. Chrissy gave up on the whole US years ago and went to Great Britain.  At least some of us stuck around to mourn and occasionally rail.  But, by the same token, the Akron she was talking about in that song smelled and looked awful - it was 4 tire factories and a lot of people with occupational diseases and injuries. THAT Akron being gone is not sad in the least to me. The jobs being gone is a problem, the problems being gone isn't.  It's still not a GREAT American town, but Akron is on it's way to being a respectable midwestern small city. I still don't want to live there again.

It's the tiny towns I regret the loss of. And, of course my little place that is no more. It makes me love JL more that she has learned at such a young age the curmudeonly arts.  :D  Why in MY day.....
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Deep Fried Candy Bars 8/27/03
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2003, 07:52:24 pm »

Yeah, it gets worse when you have kids and you take 'em to your old hometown.  I've caught myself actually uttering the words "Why, I can remember when none of this was here.  It was all just farmland."**

Makes you feel like Abe Simpson.  Which reminds me of a long rambling story....

** Course, that's not nearly as bad as the feeling you get the first time you realize that you've just uttered the words, "Because I said so, that's why!"
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Deep Fried Candy Bars 8/27/03
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2003, 11:00:38 pm »

Holy schlamoly! Never did I intend to start such a tear-jerking manifesto!

But GOOD PETE A'MIGHTY am I glad to be out of Dayton and into Atlanta. No, I have no history with it. No, almost nobody who lives here is from here. No, I don't remember when it was just farmland, and I don't have any old haunts.

What I did get is a clean start with a great town and a life that I can truly enjoy to its fullest. I feel like some sort of early '70s romantic comedy heroine.

All wool coat and clutch purse
all circling classified ads for jobs and apartments with a lipstick
all blushing when construction workers whistle

all ending up selling myself for a hot meal
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?
Pages: [1]   Go Up