Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

RT@achewood New Roast Beef band name: THE DATA-TONES

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: Trick or Treat?  (Read 10104 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Trick or Treat?
« Reply #60 on: November 04, 2005, 09:14:28 am »

Quote from: "slink"
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
Banned?

You guys ban movies over there?


Not so much anymore. Exorcist was banned, Clockwork Orange was banned (because Kubrick asked for it to be), and a handful of others. But they stopped being banned about a decade ago.


I guess I could search for an answer, but...

Why did Kubrick want it banned?

Anyway, I'm studying Bernard Williams, the late moral philosopher, for a class this semester.  Apparently he was involved in constructing obscenity laws for England in the late 70s (?).  But it seemed that the targeted material was porn, so I guess that the Exorcist ban wasn't related to these guidelines?  I guess I'm just thinking through my keyboard at this point, as I'm writing a paper for the class now, so no need to reply if you don't know what I'm talking about, Slink.

I think The Last Temptation of Christ was banned in Chile.  It was also banned by Blockbuster.  I liked the hippies in it.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Trick or Treat?
« Reply #61 on: November 04, 2005, 03:03:27 pm »

I think it was due to copycat droogs attacking people.  Oh, those impressionable UK hooligans!

Because, you know, it is movies that cause violence.  Before the cinema the world was completely peaceful and no man ever struck another due to anger.

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Trick or Treat?
« Reply #62 on: November 05, 2005, 01:05:49 am »

That's the reason that was often quoted, but it appears recently, also, that Kubrick was receiving death threats because of it, and asked for it to be banned. It would certainly explain why he wanted it banned over here, and got his way, but didn't attempt to stop it anywhere else.

The Hooligans are loose, the hooligans are loose
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up