I had a very vivid dream last night - probably one of the most vivid I've ever had.
I had taken up with a group of strongly ethnic people in a restaurant that was basicaly the universe, there was no need to leave it - everything I could ever want was in the restaurant, but it was also in an old train station turned to a quaint tourist mall with other shops. I could come and go from the restaurant, but didn't really feel the desire to leave - it was too nice to be with all the warm, loving people inside. The people included a late 30'ish woman, very beautiful, who I had a crush on, an attractive early 30's-ish man with long black curly hair, who I also had a crush on, and their entire family including young people and an older matriach character who seems to sort of run the restaurant, which was full of life, and lots of people speaking what I assumed to be Greek. I was at a table with many of these people, eating beautiful Greek-like food and loads of wine - I had a pastry filled with cheese and spinach, like a spanikopita, only round and fully-incased by the pastry. The attractive man passionatly told me that the man sitting next to him, who didn't speak English, had imported these spinach things by plane, and that it had taken him three days to get them to us, "but it was worth it!" He then kissed the non-English-speaking man on the forehead very affectionately in the way only a European man could without looking totally gay. They hugged, everyone hugged.
I realized I was too full to eat the spinach thing, so I tried to wrap it up in a fabric napkin, but it squashed and cheese and spinach came out of all sides, making a real mess. I was pretty embarassed, but no one else cared, and I looked around and everyone was having a good time, so I just forgot about the mess.
I became a little disoriented and looked around, only to notice the restaurant was decorated with very Asian looking items: paper lanterns, maybe dragons, and what looked like Chinese characters. Then I noticed some small ceramic figures that looked like a cross between Ukranian Cossak fighters and traditional Chinese Kung-fu masters. I was puzzeled in regard to the ethnicity of the people I was hanging out with - were they Greek, or Chinese, or maybe Ukranian? I felt some anxiety about this, but then the attractive woman called me to her very warmly, put her arm over my shoulder, and I realized that it really didn't matter.
I ended up in the kitchen with the attractive woman, we were talking about cooking - I was very excited to learn about their cooking style, since it was very different from my own. The matriach character was there too, and I remember thinking that her and the attractive woman and man were related, but that she was not their mother. The women had a large pan of layered yellow cake with a buttercream icing, which they insisted that I taste even though I was pretty full. I took a bite, and it was flavourless, but it caused me to feel total uphoria, and I told them this. We all hugged, and I was weeping for joy, I think. It was a warm, non-sexual moment of human contact.
I exited the restaurant into the tourist mall, which seemed to be the very tourist mall that I work next to in waking life, but wasn't quite the same.
Then I was walking along beside an ocean-like body of water with the attractive long haired man, and he was being very flirtatious, and I wanted to return his affections, but I was conflicted because I wasn't sure if it was just his "European way" to be so passionate, or if he really had feelings for me. I was very attracted to him, so I felt a great deal of stress about this. I couldn't figure it out. We reached the path that would take us back to the restaurant, and he said we should go in. I knew that if I went in with him that something would be over - maybe between him and I, or maybe the whole utopian world of the restaurant. I don't know if I went in or not, because that's where my dream ended.
How weird is that? retelling it, there were a lot of moments of anxiety, but the overall feeling was of wonder and magic that such a utopia existed, and that I had found it. I can't make any connections between the dream and my real life. Can anyone decipher this?