I call bullshit. I'd say that every single person on this board is interested in what Chris Onstad is really like.
~Paul
No, I disagree. Working in the entertainment business means I get to meet a lot of the artists whose work I've seen many times - often before meeting them, and at this point, I've come to the conclusion that I'd rather not know. Just last night I went out with the playwright of the play I just directed, I always hate doing this because you hear about the origins of things, the fact that a character is based on someone they know, etc. - so that rather than taking your understanding from your own ideas and insights, you have no choice but to know the true root. If art is a mirror to reality, it must be a mirror to each audience member's individual interpretation of that reality, not specifically to the creator's reality. Otherwise, in an odd way, it becomes depersonalized - becomes a selgiraffe act, instead of a universally human thing. When it came to the playwright last night, some of the things she told me about the content and meaning of the play broke my heart -I'd have really rather not known, and I liked my own understanding much, much better. She talked about how one incident in the play was based on her daughter, that another character was based on a friend who died. Beyond the fact that these details were unimportant to the actual plot of the play, they also made me realize that she, as an artist, like most artists, isn't a genuis, just good at seeing interesting details and telling stories. I know, as is always the case, that if I could have just said a perfunctory hello to the playwright, rather thans spending a night drinking with her, that I'd be much happier.
Same thing when it comes to Onstad. I don't want to know the back story, I like my backstory.
Golfhaus is right about one thing though, it would be hard to turn down dinner. Mostly because I love you guys and I know you'd be tickled to know exactly what was served, and also I have to imagine the meal would be really, really good. Hand made croquettes anyone?