Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Italian food is like pornography. I can’t define it, but I know when I have paid too much.

Poll

Do you think of Onstad as a fat person?

Yes, with a paunch of at least Ray-esque proportions.
- 1 (9.1%)
No, the man who posts my comic is svelte as the dickens.
- 3 (27.3%)
This speculation is cruel and irrelevant to his genius.
- 7 (63.6%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Voting closed: October 23, 2005, 05:47:49 am


Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Can anyone construct a concrete profile of this C. Onstad?  (Read 10762 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Can anyone construct a concrete profile of this C. Onstad?
« Reply #30 on: October 24, 2005, 06:06:05 am »

To divert the thread slightly (or maybe even bring it back towards the original topic) am I the only one for whom the whole achewood-by-committee thing would be awesome?
I'm sure I'm not alone in that one of the things I like most about achewood is  the way it can subvert your expectations so to find out that reasons we accept for achewood's existance are lies would be incredibly delicious. My opnly fear is that if we found out it would have to end, as to continue with everyone knowing this would kill the awesome right out of it.

And Kai: Making a complete ass out of yourself in your first thread is not incredibly unusual but staunchly defending yourself is moronic, if you are posting here surely you wish to be accepted into the community? Then why not show some respect towards the opinions of others who have been on this board for a not insignificant amount of time and basically *are* its community?
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

mudokon

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 5
    • View Profile
Can anyone construct a concrete profile of this C. Onstad?
« Reply #31 on: October 24, 2005, 06:06:41 am »

Who's Onstad?
Logged

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Can anyone construct a concrete profile of this C. Onstad?
« Reply #32 on: October 24, 2005, 06:09:28 am »

Quote from: "Doc"
To divert the thread slightly (or maybe even bring it back towards the original topic) am I the only one for whom the whole achewood-by-committee thing would be awesome?


If you aren't alone thinking this, surely there aren't many of you.

If you have a committee that can make a good webcomic, then you should do that. If it's funny, I'll read it. If you don't, then it's probably a waste of time to ponder the concept.
Logged

stringph

  • Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 6
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 26
  • I been meanin' to learn a little geometry
    • View Profile
Onstad sculpture
« Reply #33 on: October 24, 2005, 10:28:43 am »

I would like to see a concrete profile of C. Onstad made by a renowned concrete sculptor.

The concrete profile is a sadly neglected artform and I hope one day to master it.
Logged

cellardoor

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 282
    • View Profile
Can anyone construct a concrete profile of this C. Onstad?
« Reply #34 on: October 24, 2005, 11:55:38 am »

I hope someone sets fire to this forum with all of you in it.
Logged

stringph

  • Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 6
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 26
  • I been meanin' to learn a little geometry
    • View Profile
A picture of Chris Onstad
« Reply #35 on: October 24, 2005, 11:58:39 am »

http://www.tybr.org/images/Chris%20Onstadt.jpg

Did I say that it was a picture of the man who writes Achewood? No.
Logged

misterqueue

  • Sick Fuck
  • VIP
  • R I S O T T O ?
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2011
  • I can do anything I want. And so can you.
    • View Profile
    • A Reason for Diseasin'
Can anyone construct a concrete profile of this C. Onstad?
« Reply #36 on: October 24, 2005, 12:48:02 pm »

Quote from: "AugustWest"
Quote from: "misterqueue"
The thing I wonder is... why in the hell would someone join to ask this question?

But then that made me ask why the hell *I* joined.

Then I got sort of sad and ate a whole tub of Edy's and now I'm almost as fat as this mythical Onstad everyone's gabbing about.


Fuck you, I bet I'm fatter.

And I got fat on Vodka and Oysters, you fuck*ng punks.


I am certain you are, as in reality I'm a lithe and spindly young asian girl who loves hot sexx0rs!

LOLOMFG!  I fooled you, with the INTERNET!
Logged
So it's satire, is it?  Well that changes everything!

Lockjaw is serious times.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: A picture of Chris Onstad
« Reply #37 on: October 24, 2005, 02:32:20 pm »

Quote from: "stringph"
http://www.tybr.org/images/Chris%20Onstadt.jpg

Did I say that it was a picture of the man who writes Achewood? No.


.... Can we pretend it is? I read too few comics written by cowboys.

And Dawg: It was not the written by committee thing that I thought was cool, rather it would be fun to find out everything we accepted about this comic was a carefully constructed sham. But as you say maybe I am on my lonesome on this one.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

JorgeFabregas

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 93
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1227
  • I was impressed.
    • View Profile
Can anyone construct a concrete profile of this C. Onstad?
« Reply #38 on: October 24, 2005, 02:44:00 pm »

My cousin once sent me a picture he found while poking around on the achewood server that he thought to be Onstad. The man pictured was slightly pudgy and sitting in a chair. Does Onstad sit in chairs much?
Logged
And we know who we should love. But we're never certain how.

V-Adore

  • Guest
Can anyone construct a concrete profile of this C. Onstad?
« Reply #39 on: October 24, 2005, 03:06:44 pm »

See, I think it would be interesting to learn that Achewood was written by a committee just because, well, it'd be the first decent comic strip I've heard of written in such a way. To be briefly pretentious about it, it'd subvert a lot of assumptions, especially given that Achewood's greatest strength (in my opinion) is the strongly-defined ethos and voice of virtually all the characters. If this sort of strength and consistency of characterization could be the result of a committee, that implies that communal creative work is more capable of unified voice than I had previously thought.

That said, I'd be surprised.
Logged

misterqueue

  • Sick Fuck
  • VIP
  • R I S O T T O ?
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2011
  • I can do anything I want. And so can you.
    • View Profile
    • A Reason for Diseasin'
Can anyone construct a concrete profile of this C. Onstad?
« Reply #40 on: October 24, 2005, 03:27:24 pm »

Quote from: "V-Adore"
Well reasoned speculation and analysis.


I LIKE IT WHEN THE TIGER PUNCHES THE OTTER AND SAYS SHADDUP YOU!



really this is just an excuse to hit 100 posts... I'd say I was sorry but I'm not.
Logged
So it's satire, is it?  Well that changes everything!

Lockjaw is serious times.

ndpatel

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 5
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 132
    • View Profile
    • http://www.sixtyeights.com
Can anyone construct a concrete profile of this C. Onstad?
« Reply #41 on: October 24, 2005, 03:53:28 pm »

i'll just weigh in* on the other side of all this and say that i really like knowing more about artists whose work i admire. i like putting things into context, you know? i mean, sure, "should i stay or should i go" is a real rocker of a song, but it's even better if you've read like 5 huge-ass books about the clash and you know like exactly what hairstyle mick jones had when he wrote it....

okay. pathetic. but, um, how about the wilco movie? i know lots of people who are stupid over themselves for wilco whose relationship with the band was defined by this movie. or, like, "behind the music," or pop-up video. i mean, there's a reason those were such hit shows.

or dvd special features/commentary tracks. does everyone skip those too?

in the end, though, i think onstad's done a pretty good job of giving us enough "personal" info to make him seem like a real person and yet keep us wanting more. sure, maybe he does it in character, but shit. who doesn't?

*haha onstad's fat.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Can anyone construct a concrete profile of this C. Onstad?
« Reply #42 on: October 24, 2005, 05:11:59 pm »

Quote from: "V-Adore"
See, I think it would be interesting to learn that Achewood was written by a committee just because, well, it'd be the first decent comic strip I've heard of written in such a way.


Having served on a lot of committees in my time, I would say it would be the first decent anything produced by a committee.  Seriously, can anybody name a decent work of art or literature that was produced by a group of more than say 3 creators?  It's not happening.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Onstad sculpture
« Reply #43 on: October 24, 2005, 05:14:30 pm »

Quote from: "stringph"
I would like to see a concrete profile of C. Onstad made by a renowned concrete sculptor.

The concrete profile is a sadly neglected artform and I hope one day to master it.


The hard part is getting your mix exactly right.  You need a certain sort of high-quality beach sand and a very small, rounded aggregate.  Otherwise you won't be able to create those subtle curves that portraiture demands.  And that stuff is hell on your mixer.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

robot_god

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 74
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1195
  • Oh my gosh, dude.
    • View Profile
    • ALP Myspace Site
Can anyone construct a concrete profile of this C. Onstad?
« Reply #44 on: October 24, 2005, 05:50:49 pm »

There was an alleged picture of him with one of the interviews, I think.  Anyway, the only fact that can be verified is that Onstad is grizzly.  Wild and grizzly, usually sporting a beard and severly agitated, like most of us.
Logged
ACHIEVE
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up