Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Once you been to a few weddings, you realize ain’t nobody gives a damn if you readin’ custom vows or the 1987 “Let’s Go!” guide to Bahrain. Just use that stuff about Do/Don’t and Sickness or Health and you gonna get the job done.  -=RAY=-

Poll

What should we read in November?

Albert Camus/the Plague
- 0 (0%)
Nick Cave/And the Ass Saw the Angel
- 0 (0%)
Leonard Cohen/Beautiful Losers
- 1 (11.1%)
Neil Gaiman/American Gods
- 5 (55.6%)
David Mitchell /Ghostwritten
- 2 (22.2%)
Chuck Palahniuk/Survivor
- 0 (0%)
Thomas Pynchon/Gravity's Rainbow
- 0 (0%)
Tom Robbins/Still Life with Woodpecker
- 0 (0%)
Salman Rushdie/The Satanic Verses
- 1 (11.1%)

Total Members Voted: 8

Voting closed: October 30, 2005, 03:53:51 pm


Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: November - Book O' the Month:  (Read 7007 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
November - Book O' the Month:
« on: October 23, 2005, 03:53:51 pm »

Hi all, sorry about last month, and posting this poll later than usual, but hell I was too damn busy making art of my own!

For anyone unfamiliar with the Book Club, for Oct & Nov we were reading Katherine Dunn's novel Geek Love, about a family of travelling freaks.  The traveling freak showed turned into a cult of apendage severing outsiders, and the narrator, Olympia's (an albino dwarf) intense love of the cult leader, also her brother puzzeled many of the readers.  When I had read the novel the first time, I had made the inferrence that Olympia's daughter (born perfect except her tiny tail) was actually her brother's child, not from the other trist she had, which really helped me understand the strange love Olympia had for Arty.  Reading it again, I have no idea where I got that from - it doesn't seem to be there at all.

Anyway, November is a great month for reading - it's time to enter hibernation mode for most of us, and other than helping make props for a play about bats, I will have a lot of free time on my hands, and hopefully you will too.

Here are the straggler books that we still haven't read from the list we made in summer, vote away.

Also, I think December would be a great time to compile a new list, with all sorts of great books coming out and/or being gifted over the holiday season.  Please post your nominations here!  Unlike last time, should be blow the doors open and make a list of any readable materials including graffic novels, non-fiction, short story collections, etc?  As long as everyone remembers to make suggestions that can be obtained anywhere in North America (and possibly the UK) then I think this could be fine.  Thoughts?
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Re: November - Book O' the Month:
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2005, 07:57:10 pm »

Quote from: "side_show"

Also, I think December would be a great time to compile a new list, with all sorts of great books coming out and/or being gifted over the holiday season.


Are there any great new books due out this winter?
I guess I haven't really been looking for any at the momentm what with trying to catch up with the stack I have to read anyway, and all the graphic novels/TPB's I have to read...
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
November - Book O' the Month:
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2005, 10:41:32 pm »

I checked out two books at the library; a biography on Douglas Adams and a history of Buddhism. I have renewed each, and am coming up on the new due date. I haven't finished the first yet.

It amazes me how some people can read so voraciously. And I was an English major in college.
Logged

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Re: November - Book O' the Month:
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2005, 11:43:09 pm »

Quote from: "side_show"


Anyway, November is a great month for reading - it's time to enter hibernation mode for most of us, and other than helping make props for a play about bats, I will have a lot of free time on my hands, and hopefully you will too.


Are you doing Bat Boy, the Musical?
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: November - Book O' the Month:
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2005, 01:09:57 am »

Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
Quote from: "side_show"


Anyway, November is a great month for reading - it's time to enter hibernation mode for most of us, and other than helping make props for a play about bats, I will have a lot of free time on my hands, and hopefully you will too.


Are you doing Bat Boy, the Musical?


Gosh I really do hope so.  I'd fly to Winnepeg to see that.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: November - Book O' the Month:
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2005, 04:26:28 am »

Quote from: "slink"
Quote from: "side_show"

Also, I think December would be a great time to compile a new list, with all sorts of great books coming out and/or being gifted over the holiday season.


Are there any great new books due out this winter?
I guess I haven't really been looking for any at the momentm what with trying to catch up with the stack I have to read anyway, and all the graphic novels/TPB's I have to read...


Neil Gaiman has a new one arleady out.  I forget the title.  Has anyone read it yet?  I just finished Neverwhere, and it was good, but not nearly as good as American Gods.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: November - Book O' the Month:
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2005, 05:01:26 am »

Quote from: "AugustWest"
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
Quote from: "side_show"


Anyway, November is a great month for reading - it's time to enter hibernation mode for most of us, and other than helping make props for a play about bats, I will have a lot of free time on my hands, and hopefully you will too.


Are you doing Bat Boy, the Musical?


Gosh I really do hope so.  I'd fly to Winnepeg to see that.


Well it's called Silverwing, and basically the main character is cast out of his community for being different (too small), and then he and another kid ophaned by her community (an albino) befriend some cannilbals unaware of the cannibals plan to eat them.  But since their all bats, it's okay to do the play for children.  I still don't get how this works.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: November - Book O' the Month:
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2005, 12:26:20 pm »

Quote from: "miles"
Neil Gaiman has a new one arleady out.  I forget the title.  Has anyone read it yet?  I just finished Neverwhere, and it was good, but not nearly as good as American Gods.

Anansi Boys. Haven't read it yet, but I've heard it's good.
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: November - Book O' the Month:
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2005, 01:29:59 pm »

Quote from: "V-Adore"
Quote from: "miles"
Neil Gaiman has a new one arleady out.  I forget the title.  Has anyone read it yet?  I just finished Neverwhere, and it was good, but not nearly as good as American Gods.

Anansi Boys. Haven't read it yet, but I've heard it's good.

It's a quasi-sequel to American Gods. Some characters appear but supposedly to don't have to have read AG first. I'll wait and read them in order. But I still have Memories of Ice and 21 more Discworld books to get through first.
Logged

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
November - Book O' the Month:
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2005, 02:25:43 pm »

I checked a book out of the library for myself for about the first time in ten years.  The Duke of Havana, the narrative of Orlando Hernandez's odyssey from Cuba to Costa Rica to Yankee Stadium.  I have until November 12.  I'm with Gimpson--I vaguely recall a period in time when I read a lot, but now I wonder how that's even remotely possible.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
November - Book O' the Month:
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2005, 02:08:09 am »

Okay, honesty here people:  I'm feeling a huge amount of apathy for the book club.  Are we seriously going to continue?  There really wasn't much interesting conversation about Geek Love to be had, and, well, I don't know, I'm already bored of the whole thing.  Blame it on my total failure to post anything stimulating.  Only 9 votes, 5 for American Gods?  How many of you who voted for American Gods have already read it and are just coping out?  (I'm suspicious because I already read Geek Love before we selected it, but maybe I'm the only jerk here).  What's the verdict here people?
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
November - Book O' the Month:
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2005, 08:02:38 am »

I only joined the book club to be close to you, Smells.

Of course, I'm a Philistine who didn't actually read either book so far.

arkabee

  • VIP
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 153
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1280
  • i still hate the new forum software.
    • View Profile
November - Book O' the Month:
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2005, 02:06:35 pm »

i did not read Geek Love because i did not want to.

i have not read a gaiman book toher than the one he wrote with pratchet and would be interested in reading a book by him that he did not write with anyone else so i voted to read that one.
Logged
"God forbid I'd ever be separated from my Duran Duran for a single minute!"
-August West
"Maybe Hanson or the Jonas Brothers might finally lose their shit one day."
-Nabubrush

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
November - Book O' the Month:
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2005, 02:30:44 pm »

I've been voting for American Gods every time because I bought it back in July and haven't gotten around to reading it yet. But now I'm all tied up with Memories of Ice which just came out Tuesday. I've been waiting for this one for months.
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
November - Book O' the Month:
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2005, 03:53:22 pm »

I think the book club is a great idea and we ought to be good at it.  It would give us something to talk about when there are no new comics, and all.  I could make a lot of excuses for why I can't seem to manage to read the books, but they are all pretty lame.  I am sorry.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up