Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Did you know...
That the second best way to sound like a noob is to ask why robot and pants are censored?

Poll

What should we read in November?

Albert Camus/the Plague
- 0 (0%)
Nick Cave/And the Ass Saw the Angel
- 0 (0%)
Leonard Cohen/Beautiful Losers
- 1 (11.1%)
Neil Gaiman/American Gods
- 5 (55.6%)
David Mitchell /Ghostwritten
- 2 (22.2%)
Chuck Palahniuk/Survivor
- 0 (0%)
Thomas Pynchon/Gravity's Rainbow
- 0 (0%)
Tom Robbins/Still Life with Woodpecker
- 0 (0%)
Salman Rushdie/The Satanic Verses
- 1 (11.1%)

Total Members Voted: 8

Voting closed: October 30, 2005, 03:53:51 pm


Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: November - Book O' the Month:  (Read 7028 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

V-Adore

  • Guest
November - Book O' the Month:
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2005, 04:33:18 pm »

I mean to read the books, but my real life keeps eating me, and I apologize. I support the continued existence of the book club, though.
Logged

aparrish

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 115
    • View Profile
    • http://myth.livejournal.com/
November - Book O' the Month:
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2005, 04:46:48 pm »

I was really hoping Ghostwritten would win, because David Mitchell is pretty much God.  American Gods is cool too, though, because I have already read it and would very much enjoy the opportunity to Complain About It On The Internet.
Logged

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
November - Book O' the Month:
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2005, 05:25:22 pm »

This isn't about the book club, but it is about a book.  I wanted to thank Bozack for bringing my attention to Truly, Madly, Viking, which I am using as an example in a presentation on romance novels that I'm doing for my cultural studies seminar tomorrow.
Logged
goose means greedy

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
November - Book O' the Month:
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2005, 06:13:34 pm »

Quote from: "andalucia"
This isn't about the book club, but it is about a book.  I wanted to thank Bozack for bringing my attention to Truly, Madly, Viking, which I am using as an example in a presentation on romance novels that I'm doing for my cultural studies seminar tomorrow.


Just out of curiousity, how long did it take to read it and where would you rate it's literary and entertainment values 1-10?
Logged

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
November - Book O' the Month:
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2005, 06:41:21 pm »

Unfortunately, I didn't actually read it.


Yet.
Logged
goose means greedy

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
November - Book O' the Month:
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2005, 11:18:52 pm »

This was in the New Yorker that came today.  (Which I also won't get around to reading most of, probably.)
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
November - Book O' the Month:
« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2005, 03:27:17 pm »

Quote from: "wombat"
This was in the New Yorker that came today.  (Which I also won't get around to reading most of, probably.)


That's just great.  

Well alright, I'm on a bloody waiting list to get American Gods from the library, but it's going to take over a month to get is, probably more like 6.  I've been seeking out used copies, since it's over $30 Canadian for a new copy, and I say boo to that.  I say we move forward.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

Beatrice

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 280
    • View Profile
November - Book O' the Month:
« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2005, 02:14:33 pm »

Quote from: "Golfhaus"
I checked out two books at the library; a biography on Douglas Adams and a history of Buddhism. I have renewed each, and am coming up on the new due date. I haven't finished the first yet.

It amazes me how some people can read so voraciously. And I was an English major in college.



Oh crap, the familiar brain!  Maybe you and me are amigos?

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
November - Book O' the Month:
« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2005, 11:35:58 pm »

I will be amigos with you if we are amongst smart people who, in a discussion will say, "This reminds me of the character of Pietr in Warshanovopovolov's The Republic Or My Dinner and his struggles with Der Komisar," and all we can say is, "uh, it kinda reminded me of that one episode of South Park where Mr. Hanky almost died."

Because inevitably, this is the kind of thing that happens to me, and ju NEED amigos then, you see.
Logged

Beatrice

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 280
    • View Profile
November - Book O' the Month:
« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2005, 04:23:06 am »

Quote from: "Golfhaus"
I will be amigos with you if we are amongst smart people who, in a discussion will say, "This reminds me of the character of Pietr in Warshanovopovolov's The Republic Or My Dinner and his struggles with Der Komisar," and all we can say is, "uh, it kinda reminded me of that one episode of South Park where Mr. Hanky almost died."

Because inevitably, this is the kind of thing that happens to me, and ju NEED amigos then, you see.


oh, well really i just sit there and drink.

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
November - Book O' the Month:
« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2005, 11:55:39 am »

Quote from: "Beatrice"
oh, well really i just sit there and drink.


That works too! Cheers!
Logged

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
November - Book O' the Month:
« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2005, 10:21:50 am »

Quote from: "Golfhaus"
Quote from: "Beatrice"
oh, well really i just sit there and drink.


That works too! Cheers!


Brilliant!  Should we have, like an official book club meeting where we all meet at a specific time in December in a chatroom and discuss the book, or even just Achewood as a whole, while drinking?  That sounds like holiday fun to me!  I feel like we need to spice it up anyway!  

Also, the book is at the library for me, and I will start reading it next week.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
November - Book O' the Month:
« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2005, 12:50:43 pm »

Doesn't sitting around in IRC drinking give you like 80 Sad Nerd points? Because lately I've been getting close to having my probationary Almost Cool card revoked.

Of course, if people are going to get drunk and wander into private chat for drunk cybersex, that might be worth the revocation.
Logged

Beatrice

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 280
    • View Profile
November - Book O' the Month:
« Reply #28 on: November 19, 2005, 10:57:07 pm »

Well, does having a drunken cyber book club still earn you sad points if you do it SOCIALLY?  Like, you get together with other drunken nerds and nuetralize each other cause you're not alone?  And the cyber thing, I think that'd be pretty awesome.  We just need to all cyber in the same chat.  At the same time.  While getting progressively closer to Blackout.  And we should vote a sober person to record the conversation.

V-Adore

  • Guest
November - Book O' the Month:
« Reply #29 on: November 19, 2005, 11:17:09 pm »

Quote from: "Golfhaus"
Doesn't sitting around in IRC drinking give you like 80 Sad Nerd points? Because lately I've been getting close to having my probationary Almost Cool card revoked.

Speaking as a heavy IRC user, drunken IRC is in fact a pretty sad nerd act. The two people I know of who did it regularly are the saddest nerds I know.
Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up