Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood I am composing a tone poem about eagles, lawnmowers, and Ted Nugent. It is composed only of the sounds of those things.

Poll

What should we read in November?

Albert Camus/the Plague
- 0 (0%)
Nick Cave/And the Ass Saw the Angel
- 0 (0%)
Leonard Cohen/Beautiful Losers
- 1 (11.1%)
Neil Gaiman/American Gods
- 5 (55.6%)
David Mitchell /Ghostwritten
- 2 (22.2%)
Chuck Palahniuk/Survivor
- 0 (0%)
Thomas Pynchon/Gravity's Rainbow
- 0 (0%)
Tom Robbins/Still Life with Woodpecker
- 0 (0%)
Salman Rushdie/The Satanic Verses
- 1 (11.1%)

Total Members Voted: 8

Voting closed: October 30, 2005, 03:53:51 pm


Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: November - Book O' the Month:  (Read 7003 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
November - Book O' the Month:
« Reply #45 on: November 22, 2005, 08:03:05 pm »

Also, a popcorn as big as your head = small around these parts.

The biggest bag is like a 2 gallons and you get free refills.
Logged

Lister

  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 101
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 892
  • 2, 4, 6, 8, time to transubstantiate!
    • View Profile
November - Book O' the Month:
« Reply #46 on: November 22, 2005, 09:50:56 pm »

I'm glad I don't drink coffee when I consider Starbucks.  I've only been inside one once, and I was the only person not wearing fleece.  I felt like I was judged and found lacking.

American Gods is good stuff.  Everything about it just feels authentic, like it's a novelization of actual events.  I didn't find a single character to dislike except the ones who I was supposed to dislike, and I really understood why I disliked them.

Something I found amusing: Just after I finished this book, I noticed car commercials in the Orlando area that had the tagline: "Believe in Hientzelmann Ford."  Creepyfunny.
Logged
Lister.  Not that one, the other one.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
November - Book O' the Month:
« Reply #47 on: November 22, 2005, 10:55:10 pm »

Quote from: "side_show"
feminine napkin dispenser


Damnit SS, I like popcorn, I don't need to be thinking about that when I order it.


As it happens I was at the movies last night and got to examine the sizes in more detail and you are right Dawg, the small ones around here are as big as your head too, I guess 'as big as your head' is the upper limit in my mind for something you should be planning to eat.

Out of curiosity are we allowed to start discussing the actual plot of the book yet or should we wait till everyone is finished?
Also, since it's been an ongoing discussion since the book was released, any thoughts on the nameless god?
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: November - Book O' the Month:
« Reply #48 on: December 21, 2005, 05:06:47 am »

Oh yeah, do we still want to do the drunken chat room thing?  I'm still up for it. 

I can talk about how I tried in vain to read American Gods.  Sorry folks, it's just not my thing.  I'm about 200 pages into it and I feel like reading it anymore is like some sort of punishment for some wrong I did in another life.  I'm a very speedy reader - I've read three other books while struggling with this one.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: November - Book O' the Month:
« Reply #49 on: December 21, 2005, 05:20:30 am »

Oh yeah, do we still want to do the drunken chat room thing?  I'm still up for it. 

I can talk about how I tried in vain to read American Gods.  Sorry folks, it's just not my thing.  I'm about 200 pages into it and I feel like reading it anymore is like some sort of punishment for some wrong I did in another life.  I'm a very speedy reader - I've read three other books while struggling with this one.

Really?  It's on my Top Ten favorite books of the last 10 years or so.  Although I didn't read it, I listened to it.  Maybe you should try that.  It was a hella audiobook. 

Have you read/enjoyed other Gaiman?
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: November - Book O' the Month:
« Reply #50 on: December 21, 2005, 05:39:30 am »

Yeah, I tried to read some of his comics, but again, I had the same issues as I do with the book - I found the premise really interesting, but the delivery just bored me to death.  I don't know, he spends too much time on the things I don't care about and too little on the things I want to know more about.   
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: November - Book O' the Month:
« Reply #51 on: December 22, 2005, 03:37:15 am »

I agree, AW.  One of the best reads in years.  I have talked to people who don't like it, and every time I have the same reaction.  I just roped a friend into reading it, and she's loving every word.

Oh, and Bozack.  Did I ever thank you for suggesting the book?  Well, thank you.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: November - Book O' the Month:
« Reply #52 on: December 22, 2005, 03:51:17 am »

I don't know, he spends too much time on the things I don't care about and too little on the things I want to know more about.   

Would you elaborate?  What did and didn't you care about and why?  If you remember.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up