Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood C:\> Get on the Night Train. || You are on the Night Train. There is an Axl Rose here.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: 10/25/05: I'll be in the oven.  (Read 4695 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

nationwide

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 9
    • View Profile
10/25/05: I'll be in the oven.
« on: October 25, 2005, 09:20:02 am »

http://achewood.com/index.php?date=10252005

To my knowledge, this is exactly how a Lemony Snicket book reads.
Logged

misterqueue

  • Sick Fuck
  • VIP
  • R I S O T T O ?
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2011
  • I can do anything I want. And so can you.
    • View Profile
    • A Reason for Diseasin'
10/25/05: I'll be in the oven.
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2005, 10:38:45 am »

Dog piddles on the carpet, closed captioning at 11!
Logged
So it's satire, is it?  Well that changes everything!

Lockjaw is serious times.

V-Adore

  • Guest
10/25/05: I'll be in the oven.
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2005, 12:30:04 pm »

Heh heh heh. Horrible things happening for no reason, indeed.
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
10/25/05: I'll be in the oven.
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2005, 01:13:24 pm »

Last week I heard a radio interview with that guy and he was fuck*ng annoying. He refused to answer to his real name, wouldn't actually answer any direct questions, and just kept going on about how nobody should buy his new book because it was so crushingly depressing that you'd never want to move again. It was one of the worst interviews I've ever heard.
Logged

aparrish

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 115
    • View Profile
    • http://myth.livejournal.com/
10/25/05: I'll be in the oven.
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2005, 02:12:14 pm »

Is that Mr. Bear's typewriter?  Looks more like his toaster melted.
Logged

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
10/25/05: I'll be in the oven.
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2005, 02:15:40 pm »

Quote from: "CortJstr"
Last week I heard a radio interview with that guy and he was fuck*ng annoying. He refused to answer to his real name, wouldn't actually answer any direct questions, and just kept going on about how nobody should buy his new book because it was so crushingly depressing that you'd never want to move again. It was one of the worst interviews I've ever heard.


That does sound like a terrible interview but I have to say when I was like, 12 I would have eaten that shit up. So I guess you have to give him credit for playing to his audience, whether playing to his audience was appropriate in context or not is another matter.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

arkabee

  • VIP
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 153
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1280
  • i still hate the new forum software.
    • View Profile
10/25/05: I'll be in the oven.
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2005, 03:50:04 pm »

haha, poor mr. bear putting up with his agent.

i vote this the best mr. bear having to write for profit rather than fun comic since the last one!
Logged
"God forbid I'd ever be separated from my Duran Duran for a single minute!"
-August West
"Maybe Hanson or the Jonas Brothers might finally lose their shit one day."
-Nabubrush

Roger

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 22
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 311
  • Who watches the smiling fries?
    • View Profile
    • http://www.last.fm/user/rogermarmo/
10/25/05: I'll be in the oven.
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2005, 04:08:51 pm »

"Judge the audience, not the author"
I wonder if Onstad feels the same way about his strip. Which means, about us.
Logged
Gabba Gabba Hegel!

mrchee

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: -4
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 163
  • -NULLAM REM NATAM-
    • View Profile
10/25/05: I'll be in the oven.
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2005, 08:51:46 pm »

I am fairly certain the correct spelling is "micturition," not "micturation."  Other than that, awesome strip
Logged
If no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire... The A-Team

Noah

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 0
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 200
    • View Profile
10/25/05: I'll be in the oven.
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2005, 08:56:39 pm »

yah but "micturation" still makes more sense
Logged

V-Adore

  • Guest
10/25/05: I'll be in the oven.
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2005, 09:01:19 pm »

Quote from: "Roger"
"Judge the audience, not the author"
I wonder if Onstad feels the same way about his strip. Which means, about us.

Eh, my suspicion is no. I think "judge the audience, not the author" here refers fairly specifically to the context in which Mr. Bear writes his novels -- that is, a context in which perceived audience demand forces writers to write things about which they are not inspired, just to please the crowds. If there's one thing Onstad's proven again and again, it's that he doesn't care particularly much about demand from us, T-shirt market aside.
Logged

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
10/25/05: I'll be in the oven.
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2005, 12:33:07 am »

HOORAY FOR MR. BEAR.

So wait, Lemony Snicket is a real person? Clearly, I haven't been keeping up.
Logged

JordanB

  • Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 28
    • View Profile
10/25/05: I'll be in the oven.
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2005, 12:49:30 am »

I was skeptical of this strip at first,
as it seems fairly derivative of this one,
but I guess it's not so bad.

Still, if I had read that book as a child,
it would have given me nightmares.
Today I'd have put it down after two pages.
Logged

MattFish

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 43
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 371
  • A perch with a cramp / Half-pound ahi burger
    • View Profile
10/25/05: I'll be in the oven.
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2005, 01:08:06 am »

I don't like reading about horrible things happening for no reason! I can never really put my finger on why. It just bugs me deep down inside.

However, the strip is still funny. The story is a good kind of ridiculous. Cornelius has a way with words.
Logged
I finally found a nice picture of a giraffe

V-Adore

  • Guest
10/25/05: I'll be in the oven.
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2005, 01:12:35 am »

Quote from: "Mattgiraffe"
I don't like reading about horrible things happening for no reason! I can never really put my finger on why. It just bugs me deep down inside.

Because it's stupid and pointless?

(I have found myself looking at stupid, pointless things lately as education -- "see, this is how not to write a fight scene!" -- but I would not recommend it in general.)
Logged
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up