Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Wine: Keep a red and a white on hand at all times. When choosing wines on the wine aisle, use this simple rhyme to make your selection: “Closer to the floor, is meant for the poor / closer to the lights, is more like for if Bono comes over.” -=RAY=-

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: 10/25/05: I'll be in the oven.  (Read 4681 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
10/25/05: I'll be in the oven.
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2005, 01:37:29 am »

I can't watch movies where uncomfortable situations are portrayed- I cannot sit through them. I empathize too strongly with the charaters- I couldn't get past the first half hour of Happiness. When I'm reading a book, and someone is in a very uncomfortable situation, or setting themselves up for a fall, I have to take little 30 second breaks to calm down.
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!

arkabee

  • VIP
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 153
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1280
  • i still hate the new forum software.
    • View Profile
10/25/05: I'll be in the oven.
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2005, 01:41:41 am »

Quote from: "Bozack"
I can't watch movies where uncomfortable situations are portrayed- I cannot sit through them. I empathize too strongly with the charaters- I couldn't get past the first half hour of Happiness. When I'm reading a book, and someone is in a very uncomfortable situation, or setting themselves up for a fall, I have to take little 30 second breaks to calm down.


i react similarly.  do not watch the ben stiller / drew barrymore movie where they buy a house.  ben stiller goes through a series of painfully contrived situations where in he gets fucked time and time again.

i think that life is full of enough horrible things happening for no apparent reason that when i watch television i want to be presented with reasons.

the reason, in the ben stiller movie, when presented at the end, was presented poorly and rather pissed me off.

hopefully tomorow night's new America's Next top model will offer me reasons for horrible things happening.
Logged
"God forbid I'd ever be separated from my Duran Duran for a single minute!"
-August West
"Maybe Hanson or the Jonas Brothers might finally lose their shit one day."
-Nabubrush

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
10/25/05: I'll be in the oven.
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2005, 01:52:44 am »

Quote from: "CortJstr"
Last week I heard a radio interview with that guy and he was fuck*ng annoying. He refused to answer to his real name, wouldn't actually answer any direct questions, and just kept going on about how nobody should buy his new book because it was so crushingly depressing that you'd never want to move again. It was one of the worst interviews I've ever heard.

I heard an interview with this guy just before (or after) his movie came out.  Apparently at some point in the past he said he "never wanted to have his books made into a movie because they would probably get someone awful like Jim Carrey to star in it" (or something like that).  He's now of the opinion that Jim Carrey shits french toast and pisses maple syrup (or something like that).

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

V-Adore

  • Guest
10/25/05: I'll be in the oven.
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2005, 01:58:04 am »

Quote from: "arkabee"
Quote from: "Bozack"
I can't watch movies where uncomfortable situations are portrayed- I cannot sit through them. I empathize too strongly with the charaters- I couldn't get past the first half hour of Happiness. When I'm reading a book, and someone is in a very uncomfortable situation, or setting themselves up for a fall, I have to take little 30 second breaks to calm down.


i react similarly.  do not watch the ben stiller / drew barrymore movie where they buy a house.  ben stiller goes through a series of painfully contrived situations where in he gets fucked time and time again.

Absolutely agreed here. I can't really watch sitcoms because I just don't find them particularly funny, just flinch-worthy.

Quote
hopefully tomorow night's new America's Next top model will offer me reasons for horrible things happening.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who likes that show.
Schadenfreude ahoy.
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
10/25/05: I'll be in the oven.
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2005, 02:18:35 am »

Quote from: "V-Adore"
Quote from: "arkabee"
hopefully tomorow night's new America's Next top model will offer me reasons for horrible things happening.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who likes that show.
Schadenfreude ahoy.

'Top Model Week' on UPN

America's Next Top Model has been UPN's highest-rated show for much of the last couple of seasons. Now, the network is hoping that the show's past partici##### will have coattails.

The week of Nov. 7 - the first full week of sweeps - will be "Top Model Week": Past or current contestants will appear on UPN shows - even Friday Night SmackDown! - each night.

In fact, only a music special honoring Patti LaBelle on Nov. 8 and Everybody Hates Chris (the only UPN show doing better than Model this fall) on Nov. 10 will be model-free.

For example, Monday comedies will all feature guest appearances by past contestants on Nov. 7. Season three's Norelle Van Herk will pop up on One on One, followed by Mercedes Yvette on All of Us, Toccara Jones on Girlfriends, and Keenyah Hill on Half & Half.

The week will end with season four's Michelle Deighton, an aspiring pro wrestler, on SmackDown!
Logged

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
10/25/05: I'll be in the oven.
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2005, 02:37:40 am »

By 3 pm, I have discounted suicide in favor of killing everyone else in the world instead.
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
10/25/05: I'll be in the oven.
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2005, 05:19:54 am »

Is it wrong of me to scroll down and only read the posts by certain people whose writing here I enjoy?

Anyway, yeah, this strip.  Is "shrug" a word?

nationwide

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 9
    • View Profile
10/25/05: I'll be in the oven.
« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2005, 10:01:49 am »

Quote from: "CortJstr"
He refused to answer to his real name...


It's Daniel Handler, erstwhile Magnetic Field member. Weird that he'd be such a diva on the radio.
Logged

Emergent_C

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 153
    • View Profile
10/25/05: I'll be in the oven.
« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2005, 01:44:46 pm »

Quote from: "Bozack"
I can't watch movies where uncomfortable situations are portrayed- I cannot sit through them. I empathize too strongly with the characters


I've experienced that sort of wincing feeling watching newbs get chased off of comic strip message boards.
Logged
now I know that being in trouble is a fake idea

aparrish

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 115
    • View Profile
    • http://myth.livejournal.com/
10/25/05: I'll be in the oven.
« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2005, 02:00:40 pm »

Quote from: "arkabee"
i react similarly.  do not watch the ben stiller / drew barrymore movie where they buy a house.  ben stiller goes through a series of painfully contrived situations where in he gets fucked time and time again.


I think pretty much all Ben Stiller movies are like this (There's Something About Mary, Meet the Parents, Along Came Polly, even The Royal Tenenbaums to some extent).  What this says about his internal psychology I'll leave up to you.

I have never had a more thorough and shocking occasion to question the direction of my life than when I recently found myself in a Connecticut living room watching Meet The Fockers on pirated DVD.  Witnessing Robert DeNiro ask Ben Stiller to touch his artificial breast (of COURSE someone's going to walk in on you two!) is a thing that one simply does not need in one's life.
Logged

JordanB

  • Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 28
    • View Profile
10/25/05: I'll be in the oven.
« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2005, 12:15:21 am »

Quote from: "Bozack"
I can't watch movies where uncomfortable situations are portrayed- I cannot sit through them. I empathize too strongly with the charaters- I couldn't get past the first half hour of Happiness. When I'm reading a book, and someone is in a very uncomfortable situation, or setting themselves up for a fall, I have to take little 30 second breaks to calm down.


I agree with this as well. Does anyone else find it odd
that the majority of us are a bunch of softies
when it comes to Terrible Things happening to people,
and yet we all center around a comic strip
where a scene like this is de rigueur?
Logged

V-Adore

  • Guest
10/25/05: I'll be in the oven.
« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2005, 01:41:47 am »

Quote from: "JordanB"
Quote from: "Bozack"
I can't watch movies where uncomfortable situations are portrayed- I cannot sit through them. I empathize too strongly with the charaters- I couldn't get past the first half hour of Happiness. When I'm reading a book, and someone is in a very uncomfortable situation, or setting themselves up for a fall, I have to take little 30 second breaks to calm down.


I agree with this as well. Does anyone else find it odd
that the majority of us are a bunch of softies
when it comes to Terrible Things happening to people,
and yet we all center around a comic strip
where a scene like this is de rigueur?

I didn't like that strip either. You know, just for the record.
Logged

Mantonio

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 423
    • View Profile
10/25/05: I'll be in the oven.
« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2005, 01:45:46 am »

Quote from: "V-Adore"
Quote from: "JordanB"
Quote from: "Bozack"
I can't watch movies where uncomfortable situations are portrayed- I cannot sit through them. I empathize too strongly with the charaters- I couldn't get past the first half hour of Happiness. When I'm reading a book, and someone is in a very uncomfortable situation, or setting themselves up for a fall, I have to take little 30 second breaks to calm down.


I agree with this as well. Does anyone else find it odd
that the majority of us are a bunch of softies
when it comes to Terrible Things happening to people,
and yet we all center around a comic strip
where a scene like this is de rigueur?

I didn't like that strip either. You know, just for the record.


My favorite misfortune strips involve bad things happening to Philippe.
Logged

EgoSumNoah

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 66
    • View Profile
10/25/05: I'll be in the oven.
« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2005, 02:39:16 pm »

Quote from: "Bozack"
I can't watch movies where uncomfortable situations are portrayed

As a child I couldn't watch Road Runner or Trix commercials. But as a somewhat bigger and braver child, I now find the torture of cookie-cutter-cliched-British-child-characters altogether amusing. Which is why I liked this strip.
Logged
I am Jack, the Pumpkin King
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up