Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Sssshhh...I'm discovering Sleater-Kinney. This is a special time in a boy's life.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dystopian Fountain of Youth  (Read 3903 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Bobby Isosceles

  • Guest
Dystopian Fountain of Youth
« on: October 25, 2005, 02:50:55 pm »

a.k.a. a genetic disorder that keeps you an infant even when you're twelve years old.
Logged

misterqueue

  • Sick Fuck
  • VIP
  • R I S O T T O ?
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2011
  • I can do anything I want. And so can you.
    • View Profile
    • A Reason for Diseasin'
Dystopian Fountain of Youth
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2005, 02:55:42 pm »

I was gonna say this reminded me of a girl I used to date, but she was regular sized and of legal age.  Turned out she was an infant though... on the inside.
Logged
So it's satire, is it?  Well that changes everything!

Lockjaw is serious times.

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
Dystopian Fountain of Youth
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2005, 03:30:58 pm »

Quote from: "Um, this isn't really all that funny"

"There was a point there where they prepared us for her to die and that’s happened actually several times," says Howard.

"When you have to go to the funeral home and pick out a casket, or go to the store and pick out the last outfit… it’s like a rollercoaster ride, mentally and physically," says Melanie.
Logged
goose means greedy

V-Adore

  • Guest
Dystopian Fountain of Youth
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2005, 03:37:42 pm »

This is actually entirely non-funny. Strange, disturbing, and fascinating, but not even remotely funny.
Logged

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Dystopian Fountain of Youth
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2005, 03:38:03 pm »

The saddest thing.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

arkabee

  • VIP
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 153
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1280
  • i still hate the new forum software.
    • View Profile
Dystopian Fountain of Youth
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2005, 03:48:53 pm »

so this story is a representation of the point beyond which laughter does not hold back tears?

i haven't read the link, nor will i, since i don't think i could take it.
Logged
"God forbid I'd ever be separated from my Duran Duran for a single minute!"
-August West
"Maybe Hanson or the Jonas Brothers might finally lose their shit one day."
-Nabubrush

robot_roll_call

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 331
  • That's one o!
    • View Profile
Dystopian Fountain of Youth
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2005, 03:57:13 pm »

This kind of reminds me of some thing I saw about some guy with a skin disorder on the Learning Channel. They did a documentary about him preparing for death and started it off with him being dead, but they had him posthumously narrate "That's me in the box there! Let me tell you how I got here!" Just creeped the hell out of me.
Logged
Did you know that Achewood is literary.

misterqueue

  • Sick Fuck
  • VIP
  • R I S O T T O ?
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2011
  • I can do anything I want. And so can you.
    • View Profile
    • A Reason for Diseasin'
Dystopian Fountain of Youth
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2005, 04:01:49 pm »

Reminded me of this actually, even though that was caused by malnourishment.

Also, per your documentary memories, it kind of reminds me of this, which is surprisingly more endearing and heart-wrenching than it sounds.


There.. I'm not a complete asshole okay?  Okay?!
Logged
So it's satire, is it?  Well that changes everything!

Lockjaw is serious times.

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Dystopian Fountain of Youth
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2005, 06:38:13 pm »

Wow, now that is a very unusual story. Nothing wrong chomosomally, no detectable underlying medical condition. Weird and sad.
Logged

aparrish

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 115
    • View Profile
    • http://myth.livejournal.com/
Dystopian Fountain of Youth
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2005, 10:25:22 pm »

Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
Wow, now that is a very unusual story. Nothing wrong chomosomally, no detectable underlying medical condition. Weird and sad.


Does anyone know if there's anything in the medical research literature about this girl?  It would seem sort of unusual if there weren't.  I searched for "Brooke Greenberg" on Google Scholar, which about exhausts my, uh, medical research literature search-foo.  I have to assume that either the MSNBC reporter didn't bother to talk with the specialists that the Greenbergs saw, or the family requested that she not publish these details because of privacy concerns.

I watched an interview with the parents (from a different site, I can't recall which one) and I'm amazed at how they've managed to take Brooke's unusual condition in stride.  Brave people, interesting story.
Logged

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Dystopian Fountain of Youth
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2005, 03:25:56 am »

I tried searching a couple of databases for her name as well as the pediatricians but didn't come up with anything.
Strange that there wouldn't be anything out there, but then maybe it's becaues they just haven't found anything.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

Bobby Isosceles

  • Guest
Dystopian Fountain of Youth
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2005, 03:43:21 am »

Quote from: "aparrish"
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
Wow, now that is a very unusual story. Nothing wrong chomosomally, no detectable underlying medical condition. Weird and sad.


Does anyone know if there's anything in the medical research literature about this girl?  It would seem sort of unusual if there weren't.  I searched for "Brooke Greenberg" on Google Scholar, which about exhausts my, uh, medical research literature search-foo.  I have to assume that either the MSNBC reporter didn't bother to talk with the specialists that the Greenbergs saw, or the family requested that she not publish these details because of privacy concerns.

I watched an interview with the parents (from a different site, I can't recall which one) and I'm amazed at how they've managed to take Brooke's unusual condition in stride.  Brave people, interesting story.



Well, it's probably easy to deal with for the *parents* , inasmuch as (I am not being glib or kidding) it is like owning a pet; having something which remains at a low fixed developmental level for a number of years. I think the melancholia results from sadness for the "baby", which will never enjoy sentience and adulthood. Missed potential and all.
Logged

V-Adore

  • Guest
Dystopian Fountain of Youth
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2005, 03:46:12 am »

I dunno, there has to be a certain amount of bravery even getting through the day-to-day, especially with the other children. I was particularly impressed with the younger sister; this can't be an even remotely easy situation for a nine-year-old to deal with, but she seemed very calm about it all.
Logged

Bobby Isosceles

  • Guest
Dystopian Fountain of Youth
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2005, 03:51:32 am »

Quote from: "V-Adore"
I dunno, there has to be a certain amount of bravery even getting through the day-to-day, especially with the other children. I was particularly impressed with the younger sister; this can't be an even remotely easy situation for a nine-year-old to deal with, but she seemed very calm about it all.


It's like being Lisa Simpson: Maggie's been a baby for over a decade.
Logged

JorgeFabregas

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 93
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1227
  • I was impressed.
    • View Profile
Dystopian Fountain of Youth
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2005, 06:57:42 pm »

Oh, hell no it's not like a pet. Regardless of the emotions it has to be a ton of work for the parents. A perpetual six-month-old means always having to assist her with feeding, diaper changing, clothes changing, etc. etc.
Logged
And we know who we should love. But we're never certain how.
Pages: [1]   Go Up