Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Would Star Trek have had the same gravitas if Spock had been named Vince?

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Movies you HATE  (Read 22668 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

yu-huang

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: -1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 92
    • View Profile
    • xy7htk
Movies you HATE
« Reply #75 on: December 03, 2005, 02:09:13 am »

Quote from: "jough"
I liked Unbreakable better when it was called "The Dead Zone."

Seriously - is the guy's "super power" that he's unbreakable, or that he can Know What Evil Lurks in the Hearts of Men* just by touching them?

WTF?

And who didn't see the "twist" from a mile away?  It was so heavy-handed and obvious.



* Yeah, Unbreakable ripped off "The Shadow" too.


Well, since I didn't say "Unbreakable" was a flawless piece of art, I have no problem with that. All I said was that it was the best super-hero movie ever done, which only means I rank all other super-hero movies below "Unbreakable", which means those said movies, to my intellectual appreciation, present even more glaring disregard for their subjects than "Unbreakable" does. That's all.
Logged
the ominous finger-pointing of street aggression

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
Movies you HATE
« Reply #76 on: December 03, 2005, 02:34:33 am »

Quote from: "jough"
Thirteen was not a good movie, but that Rachel Wood girl is fuck*ng hot.  And still a minor?  Not in Pennsylvania she isn't!  Sixteen is the age of consent here.

It's only 14 in West Virginia.  It's 12 if you have her daddy's permission.


LALALA I CAN'T HEAR YOU I CAN'T HEAR YOU LALALALA!
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Movies you HATE
« Reply #77 on: December 03, 2005, 06:46:56 am »

Quote from: "yu-huang"
Well, since I didn't say "Unbreakable" was a flawless piece of art, I have no problem with that. All I said was that it was the best super-hero movie ever done, which only means I rank all other super-hero movies below "Unbreakable", which means those said movies, to my intellectual appreciation, present even more glaring disregard for their subjects than "Unbreakable" does. That's all.


You misspelled "opinion" there.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

robot_roll_call

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 331
  • That's one o!
    • View Profile
Movies you HATE
« Reply #78 on: December 03, 2005, 07:43:31 am »

Quote from: "yu-huang"

Well, since I didn't say "Unbreakable" was a flawless piece of art, I have no problem with that. All I said was that it was the best super-hero movie ever done, which only means I rank all other super-hero movies below "Unbreakable", which means those said movies, to my intellectual appreciation, present even more glaring disregard for their subjects than "Unbreakable" does. That's all.


Pretty sure The Incredibles is the best superhero movie.
Logged
Did you know that Achewood is literary.

LCB

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 113
  • ...when you get the blues in the night
    • View Profile
Movies you HATE
« Reply #79 on: December 03, 2005, 11:52:45 am »

I will put in a vote for Garden State.
My list of everything that was wrong with Garden State, I shall not get into. Let me say this though. There are no good "indie" movies that feature scenes where a couple sits fully clothed in an empty bathtub and yak about their feelings.
Logged
Which way to the vomitorium, centurion?

yu-huang

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: -1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 92
    • View Profile
    • xy7htk
Movies you HATE
« Reply #80 on: December 03, 2005, 04:01:24 pm »

Well, Choopernickel, my opinion is pretty much based on my intellectual appreciation; there's the emotional response also, of course, but I couldn't connect to those types of movies in an emotional manner (and I tried, I grew up reading them darned comics).

But I concede, yeah, it's my *opinion*, as you wish (Thanks to fuckers in turtlenecks, thanks to fuck*ng Sartre et caterva for turning a perfectly clean term such as "intellectual" into a sure-fire signifyer of wankery and snobbishness of the highest order...).
Logged
the ominous finger-pointing of street aggression

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Movies you HATE
« Reply #81 on: December 03, 2005, 04:47:15 pm »

Well, if you want to talk about "intellectual appreciation" and "comic book movies" you need to look no further than Sin City.

Now, I happen to think that Sin City was one of the best films of the year, but it was taken so literally from the comic book (shot for shot) that it's hard to applaud it as a film on its own.  It's like a moving comic book.

The Spider-Man movies, especially the second one, really captured the feel of the Spider-Man comic.  Okay, Mary Jane was miscast, but other things were perfect.

The latest Batman was also VERY true to the comic, if you're looking for "intellectual appreciation" you can't go wrong there.  It's like they took Frank Miller's "Batman: Year One" and "The Long Halloween" stories and merged them to make this movie.  Batman Begins works as a movie-movie, in addition to being a good comic-book movie.  It too is one of the best films of the year.

A History of Violence was a comic-book movie too, and also a very good film even if you didn't know the source material.

The Incredibles was the best Fantastic Four movie ever.  When the live-action one came out it was pretty damn weak in comparison.

yu-huang

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: -1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 92
    • View Profile
    • xy7htk
Movies you HATE
« Reply #82 on: December 03, 2005, 06:48:41 pm »

Anything that floats your boat, dude, =); they just don't do it for me. As a matter of fact, I hate them.
Logged
the ominous finger-pointing of street aggression

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Movies you HATE
« Reply #83 on: December 03, 2005, 09:36:57 pm »

Hey, you're entitled to your ill-formed and unsupported opinion, but don't go playing the SCIENCE card on us, calling it your "intellectual appreciation" since you haven't really evidenced intellectual thought in proclaiming your hatred for highly accomplished films.  Sounds more like a visceral response than an intellectual one to me, hombre.

Ben-San

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 164
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1259
  • Two-Fisted Detective
    • View Profile
Movies you HATE
« Reply #84 on: December 03, 2005, 10:27:41 pm »

Let's say you were in a coffeeshop with a guy who has been there before. You ask him which of their many coffees is the best.

"Oh," he says, "This one tastes like rancid mud which has been urinated in. I recommend it highly."
"What?" you ask, understandably.
"Because, you see, I hate coffee," replies this strange person. "I despise it. The other blends here taste like the emissions from Satan's bunghole, or perhaps like the pain of a small child whose father and mother have just revealed that they do not love him. All coffee tastes like filth to me, so one that only tastes like mud which has been urinated in is my recommendation."

The next time you go, you ask a different person.

"Well," says he, "they're all pretty good. I like that one best. The others are all pretty tasty, but that one has a particularly subtle flavor."

Which person's advice do you follow?

This story was written to illustrate why I don't give many points to people who don't like superhero movies talking about what the best superhero movie is. Or any such situation.
Logged

robot_roll_call

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 331
  • That's one o!
    • View Profile
Movies you HATE
« Reply #85 on: December 03, 2005, 10:36:42 pm »

Quote from: "LCB"
I will put in a vote for Garden State.
My list of everything that was wrong with Garden State, I shall not get into. Let me say this though. There are no good "indie" movies that feature scenes where a couple sits fully clothed in an empty bathtub and yak about their feelings.


I like to call it Zach Braff's Face: The Movie
Logged
Did you know that Achewood is literary.

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
Movies you HATE
« Reply #86 on: December 03, 2005, 10:47:29 pm »

Here were my top two problems with Garden State-
a) It was another movie about upper-middle class white kids who Got Depression (I have enough of that in my own life, thanks), and
b)Natalie Portman made me want to fuck*ng die. There has never been another character in a movie who I have hated more, even characters who were meant to be annoying. Ernest P. Worrell never made me as annoyed as her. Martin Short has never annoyed me enough as she did in that film. This is an accomplishment.
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!

Hobo Frenzy

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 222
  • fuck*ng Moto Guzzi
    • View Profile
    • the best site in the universe
Movies you HATE
« Reply #87 on: December 04, 2005, 12:04:13 am »

Hey Bozack what about Pauly Shore?
Logged
Hey, what's this? Cursive?

yu-huang

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: -1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 92
    • View Profile
    • xy7htk
Movies you HATE
« Reply #88 on: December 04, 2005, 12:45:51 am »

Ok, if you wanna know, but I'm afraid much of it will come across as condescending. For example, the "Spiderman" series: to me those plots were at level with that Power Rangers drivel. From the setup to the payoff, with a few bright spots here and there, flashes of wit which give way to alarming levels of unsubtlety (is that even a word?) so that nobody is left behind. A... "fusion reactor" or something, that was gonna blow at the end. Please.

And Batman, well, I think they wasted a good concept with bad dialogue (I don't care who you are or who you think you know, you put one one-liner in a "serious" movie, you taint it for good and forever). The whole thing of having Batman being trained with Ra's Al Ghul was brilliant, it would have given space for them to talk about some relevant issues, in a relevant manner: Terrorism, idealism, fanaticism, the possibility of promoting change by other means than violence, and on the other hand the fact that sometimes some pricks just *have* to die in order to effect change (in this case they lost a good opportunity of having Batman display the razor sharp intelligence he's so known for in the comics: in the scene in the train, when he leaves Ra's Al Gul to die. It's implied that his reasoning is that if he lets Ra's live there'll always be a threat of some 9/11-type of incident occurring sooner or later, but it's still badly done and too quick - Batman didn't need to have to make this type of choice so early in his career.

A much better approach would be, IMHO: Ra's incapacitated on the floor, the train is racing towards the tower, Batman is preparing to leave. The're exchanging quips about Batman's nature as a terrorist who'll be as ruthless as Ra's. Batman doesn't like that, grabs Ra's by the collar, shakes him, saying: "I'm not a terrorist. I never killed people". Ra's replies something along the lines of "Well, it looks like this is about to change. You cannot have me living, Mr, Wayne". Batman smiles and says "I don't have to worry about it, Ra's; Didn't you say at the party that you were immortal?". Ra's understands where Batman is going and starts laughing. He even applauds, groaning, because Batman pummeled the shit out of him. "Congratulations, detective. I will not underestimate you again." Batman says: "Say it, Ra's, just say you're not immortal and I take you with me". "Go, detective. I will make you beg." Batman turns and leaves. He jumps out of the train, turns mid air and looks. Ra's saying something, looking fixedly at Batman, but we cannot hear what it is. Boom, etc).

Then you have that limping spaz Jim Gordon being a total mongoloid throughout the whole picture... I know there'll be never the perfect movie, everyone has changes they would like to do, and so on. But I think those guys dropped the ball in missing some excellent opportunities to make some memorable scenes.

As you are probably beginning to notice, I can obsess about stuff. I just didn't want to nitpick obsessively over any of those films in depth, because in the end everybody has a different film in their heads.

You too probably would have done stuff differently. In the end I'm just grumpy, that's all there is to it =) I... I even hated the f-f-f-frikkin'uniform.

Is it the best Batman movie ever made? Yes, it is - that's the closest they'll ever get anyway, methinks =/

(And I like Batman *and* coffee)
Logged
the ominous finger-pointing of street aggression

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Movies you HATE
« Reply #89 on: December 04, 2005, 01:17:30 am »

...doesn't Mongoloid mean "asian"? Is there another meaning of which I am not aware?

I, personally, am at a loss for movies. I'm turning into someone who cannot go a week without watching a good movie. And here is my problem: nobody I'm friends with can suggest any movies that came out prior to... let's say 2000. Aside from the obvious ones. And all the directors of movies I've liked (Wes Anderson, Sophia Coppola, Jean-Pierre Jeunet) didn't really put out movies until a few years ago. Jeunet did, but I have no way of knowing if they all suck, or are all great, or what.

Right now, my strategy is get movies out of the Foreign section that have Audrey Toutou in them. She is generally in good movies.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Up