Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood I am in a bed with an Asleepness Hat on.

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Movies you HATE  (Read 22669 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

V-Adore

  • Guest
Movies you HATE
« Reply #90 on: December 04, 2005, 01:29:22 am »

Quote from: "theinevitable"
...doesn't Mongoloid mean "asian"? Is there another meaning of which I am not aware?

It's an archaic and currently out-of-favor term to refer to people with Down syndrome, because (if I recall correctly) the facial features typical of the syndrome reminded a researcher of Asian features. Using it as an insult is about two steps below using "retarded."
Logged

yu-huang

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: -1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 92
    • View Profile
    • xy7htk
Movies you HATE
« Reply #91 on: December 04, 2005, 01:35:48 am »

I can't say I particularly care, no (and oh, nice bit of my reply you decided to complain about ; )
Logged
the ominous finger-pointing of street aggression

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Movies you HATE
« Reply #92 on: December 04, 2005, 03:29:15 am »

I wasn't suggesting you care. I was asking what it meant. Because I wasn't aware that it had any other meaning.

However... You, sir, are rude.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Movies you HATE
« Reply #93 on: December 04, 2005, 03:50:05 am »

Quote from: "V-Adore"
Quote from: "theinevitable"
...doesn't Mongoloid mean "asian"? Is there another meaning of which I am not aware?

It's an archaic and currently out-of-favor term to refer to people with Down syndrome, because (if I recall correctly) the facial features typical of the syndrome reminded a researcher of Asian features. Using it as an insult is about two steps below using "retarded."


I'd say more than two because you hear "retarded" in mildy polite company, but only a true asshole would use "mongoloid."  Remember this gem from Gore?  "The extreme right wing, the extra chromosome right wing."  Seriously.

Oh, and that reminds me.  I mentioned the creepy gay guy hitting on my friend in the other thread.  At one point the dude made a comment about our friend who is Asian-American, and I said "oh, you only wish you could be Will."  He said "no, I don't want to look Oriental."  I said, incredulously, "did you just say Oriental?"  He didn't get it.  Then one of  other my friends said "it just means from the East."  He is a classics major, but still.  Am I missing something?  Negro just means black in Spanish, but you don't say it.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Movies you HATE
« Reply #94 on: December 04, 2005, 04:11:14 am »

I understand that Oriental isn't used anymore, but I'm not sure I understand why.  I never knew it had negative connotations in the way that some of the derisive terms for people of African heritage do.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

LCB

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 113
  • ...when you get the blues in the night
    • View Profile
Movies you HATE
« Reply #95 on: December 04, 2005, 04:56:23 am »

Quote from: "Bozack"
b)Natalie Portman made me want to fuck*ng die. There has never been another character in a movie who I have hated more, even characters who were meant to be annoying. Ernest P. Worrell never made me as annoyed as her. Martin Short has never annoyed me enough as she did in that film. This is an accomplishment.


If there's one type of character I've come to hate in movies, especially so-called "indie" movies, it's the Free Spirited Lass Who Does Things That Are Just SO Zany And Random And Oddball. Garden State is like having some constantly nudging you in the ribs while watching it and asking you "Huh? Isn't that weird? Isn't that zany? Isn't that just so quirky? Huh Huh huh?"
Logged
Which way to the vomitorium, centurion?

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
Movies you HATE
« Reply #96 on: December 04, 2005, 05:27:11 am »

Oh god yes. Sadly, I know enough of those people in real life.
PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT
If you are trying to be zany or crazy or free-spirited, cut it out. It only serves to emphasize that you are lame-ass.

EDIT-  Oh, no, Mr. Shore is fuck*ng Brando in comparison to Portman in that film. Of course, I've only seen Biodome, and I was pretty cool with it, given that it gave me the following phrase.
"Roam in the dome and have a beer with a deer."
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!

robot_roll_call

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 331
  • That's one o!
    • View Profile
Movies you HATE
« Reply #97 on: December 04, 2005, 07:51:26 am »

Quote from: "LCB"

If there's one type of character I've come to hate in movies, especially so-called "indie" movies, it's the Free Spirited Lass Who Does Things That Are Just SO Zany And Random And Oddball. Garden State is like having some constantly nudging you in the ribs while watching it and asking you "Huh? Isn't that weird? Isn't that zany? Isn't that just so quirky? Huh Huh huh?"


Just a heads up for those of you who haven't seen Shopgirl: The male lead who isn't Steve Martin (I forget his name) is the exact same as Natalie Portman in Garden State, only a dude. He really brought that movie down a few pegs for me. HE'S A WILD AND CRAZY GUY (once again, not Steve Martin. The other guy)

Edit: Jason Schwartzman

Edit Edit: Holy crap, he's Talia Shire's son. That explains everything.
Logged
Did you know that Achewood is literary.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Movies you HATE
« Reply #98 on: December 04, 2005, 07:57:17 am »

He was brilliant in Rushmore, but I haven't really enjoyed anything else he's done (although I did like I Heart Huckabees somewhat, despite him).

His band sucks, too.

yu-huang

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: -1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 92
    • View Profile
    • xy7htk
Movies you HATE
« Reply #99 on: December 04, 2005, 12:46:47 pm »

theinevitable: I'm truly sorry. I apologise for my rudeness.

I knew by now I would come out wrong. It's just that I felt I was being picked on since my first post, when I had the audacity to, in a thread about movies people hate, mention some movies I hated. I could only become increasingly hot-tempered after deciding that Jough was definitely out to get me. How could I feel differently? He pounds me for saying I hate some movies he likes, and when we get to a movie that we both agree sucks (Con Air) his voice sounds to me distant, echoing from above, like, like if he was mounting this humongous h.o.r.s.e., you know, this really high h.o.r.s.e.?

jough said:

Quote
Con Air is a stupid movie by design. To say you hate it is like saying that you like to breathe air. No shit.


This was his tone, *on the frikkin' movie he agreed that sucked*. I was like, "whoa, dude".

Again, sorry for having failed to control ol' blabbermouth. I tried to avoid it, God is my witness.

* I had to spell "h.o.r.s.e" with the dots, because the board turns it into "hoss" if I don't do it, for some reason
Logged
the ominous finger-pointing of street aggression

misterqueue

  • Sick Fuck
  • VIP
  • R I S O T T O ?
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2011
  • I can do anything I want. And so can you.
    • View Profile
    • A Reason for Diseasin'
Movies you HATE
« Reply #100 on: December 04, 2005, 04:37:41 pm »

Did anyone else hate Closer as much as I did?

Not because it offended me or any such thing, just because it was a completely vapid movie meant to sound like it was trying to be "honest" about a relationship via a bunch of liars.  Whooopiedooo...

Also now I can't hear anyone say thank you without thinking about Natalie Portman's ass...  come to think of it.. that part's not so bad really.
Logged
So it's satire, is it?  Well that changes everything!

Lockjaw is serious times.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Movies you HATE
« Reply #101 on: December 04, 2005, 06:50:00 pm »

OK, so.
Closer was like a hell movie. I am in hell when I watch that movie.

and Garden State tricked me into dating a girl who is like that. this is a bad idea. These are the kind of girls who will do horrible horrible things to you, and then expect you to forgive them because they are so wild and zany! And then do them again and again.

Also: yu-huang-- it was just about the mongoloid thing. I don't know.

In a bad teen movie/real life (because real life is, sadly, often like a bad teen movie), Jough is the guy who is kind of mean and sarcastic, but for some reason everyone still likes him. Maybe it's because they all secretly wish they could be that cool and jaded.

Or maybe only I have a friend like that?
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Mantonio

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 423
    • View Profile
Movies you HATE
« Reply #102 on: December 04, 2005, 07:12:06 pm »

Quote from: "yu-huang"
jough said:

Quote
Con Air is a stupid movie by design. To say you hate it is like saying that you like to breathe air. No shit.


This was his tone, *on the frikkin' movie he agreed that sucked*. I was like, "whoa, dude".

Again, sorry for having failed to control ol' blabbermouth. I tried to avoid it, God is my witness.

* I had to spell "h.o.r.s.e" with the dots, because the board turns it into "hoss" if I don't do it, for some reason


I know it's been mentioned before, but the fact that Jough is a prick is not a bug - it's a feature. Once you spend enough time here you'll realize this is a wonderful thing. This place would be such a dull place if Jough was nice and had a pet bunny.
Logged

yu-huang

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: -1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 92
    • View Profile
    • xy7htk
Movies you HATE
« Reply #103 on: December 04, 2005, 07:24:27 pm »

I don't doubt you, really. Dude, don't you know, super-heroes, like, *always* fight when they first meet (I can't believe I actually typed that... ; )
Logged
the ominous finger-pointing of street aggression

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Movies you HATE
« Reply #104 on: December 04, 2005, 09:39:16 pm »

Quote from: "Mantonio"
This place would be such a dull place if Jough was nice and had a pet bunny.

I thought Jough had a pet bunny...

...wait for it...

for dinner.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Up