Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Trains are saying "hello".  All this time, we just snub them.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Important: Contains your embroidered G8 ballcap - 26/10/05  (Read 7633 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

cellardoor

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 282
    • View Profile
Important: Contains your embroidered G8 ballcap - 26/10/05
« on: October 26, 2005, 07:59:40 am »

Love the details of this strip, Rod recognising Pat after a single sentence and the melon mushing punishment.
Also, I hate Bono so this all...works.

Although Sunday, Bloody Sunday is quite good now that I think of it but i'll attribute that to Mr Edge and his singular guitar technique rather than, you know...that Bono person.
Logged

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Important: Contains your embroidered G8 ballcap - 26/10/05
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2005, 08:39:01 am »

Last panel facial expression is great.

I usually don't second guess a first poster's choice of topic title, but, with a fair amount of good material to choose from, you could have at least picked something from strip.  But yeah, screw Bono.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

mudokon

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 5
    • View Profile
Important: Contains your embroidered G8 ballcap - 26/10/05
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2005, 08:50:21 am »

Please don't let this turn into a U2-bashing thread. I mean, I'm not big fans of them, but it gets so tiresome having to hear everyone talk about how much they hate U2. You pretty much represent the vocal majority by now, guys.

This was a funny strip, though. I really like the panel devoted entirely to pointing out the tiresome morning-DJ sound effects, and the concept of comedy head smashing.
Logged

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Important: Contains your embroidered G8 ballcap - 26/10/05
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2005, 09:17:04 am »

This is weird, am I to take from this that Pat respects Bono as a political activist? I mean yeah he liked moby, but at least he still has a vague hippy cred.
I figured Pat would have totally hated Bono.
For the record I am at peace with U2, and would quite happily accept Bono as a benevolent (if somewhat smug) dictator. Not like I own any cds or anything.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Important: Contains your embroidered G8 ballcap - 26/10/05
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2005, 09:32:32 am »

Quote from: "mudokon"
Please don't let this turn into a U2-bashing thread. I mean, I'm not big fans of them, but it gets so tiresome having to hear everyone talk about how much they hate U2. You pretty much represent the vocal majority by now, guys.


Good point, although I would say we probably represent the vocal minority.  The band is enormously popular.  Besides, my beef is mainly with Bono.  They've had some great songs.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

nationwide

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 9
    • View Profile
Important: Contains your embroidered G8 ballcap - 26/10/05
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2005, 09:58:06 am »

Is the f-bomb actually "Fouc*ult"?
Logged

misterqueue

  • Sick Fuck
  • VIP
  • R I S O T T O ?
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2011
  • I can do anything I want. And so can you.
    • View Profile
    • A Reason for Diseasin'
Important: Contains your embroidered G8 ballcap - 26/10/05
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2005, 10:37:15 am »

Yes I believe the F-bomb is indeed Fouc*ult.  Anyway, look at friggin jarred Pat is in that last panel.  That's some serious dementia shizzle happening there.  I mean we're going waaay beyond Pat staying off the beach.

Considering this Bono may not exactly be against head smashing so much.

I also love how Pat uses the radio DJ's full moniker "Rod in the Morning" and that this guy gets over on Pat real easylike.  See, anyone else trying to yank his crank with the Bono and F-bomb talk would be a potential target for some serious Pattage.  (Hell, even presumed crank-yankage would be in a dire situation.)  But not Rod in the Morning, no siree, he is the vox populi for assholes in Pat's world apparently.  

So... yeah.. I enjoyed this one, cats are funny.
Logged
So it's satire, is it?  Well that changes everything!

Lockjaw is serious times.

cellardoor

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 282
    • View Profile
Important: Contains your embroidered G8 ballcap - 26/10/05
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2005, 10:54:34 am »

I've edited the topic title because miles is special to me.
Logged

V-Adore

  • Guest
Important: Contains your embroidered G8 ballcap - 26/10/05
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2005, 12:34:32 pm »

The entire panel dedicated to a terrible sound effect is good; the rant is, if anything, a little too reasoned for Pat, but I can believe he just isn't in Really Dicktacular Phase at the moment. Overall, good strip.
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Important: Contains your embroidered G8 ballcap - 26/10/05
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2005, 01:58:40 pm »

I freaking hate the term "f-bomb." How can people even say this and not realize how stupid they sound?
Logged

aparrish

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 115
    • View Profile
    • http://myth.livejournal.com/
Important: Contains your embroidered G8 ballcap - 26/10/05
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2005, 02:05:04 pm »

Quote from: "CortJstr"
I freaking hate the term "f-bomb." How can people even say this and not realize how stupid they sound?


Where I grew up (I grew up in Utah), any forbidden word - i.e., nearly all of them - could be referred to this way, replacing "f" with the initial of the word in question.  For some kids, from particularly conservative families, the "h-bomb" was "heck."

"F-bomb" is great, though, when the "F" means "Fouc*ult."  (Cf. the "D-Bomb" for "Derrida" and the "M.M.-Bomb" for "Michael Moore.")
Logged

misterqueue

  • Sick Fuck
  • VIP
  • R I S O T T O ?
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2011
  • I can do anything I want. And so can you.
    • View Profile
    • A Reason for Diseasin'
Important: Contains your embroidered G8 ballcap - 26/10/05
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2005, 02:21:37 pm »

Quote from: "CortJstr"
I freaking hate the term "f-bomb." How can people even say this and not realize how stupid they sound?


Heh, it gets used around my place in an ironic way on a very consistent level, but it could mean any f-word really.  

Why actually just this week it was used in conjunction with "fart", "fine", "fettuccine", and "folderol".

Normally the act goes like this:

"Hey Q, I'm making Fettuccine.. you want some?"
"Damn man, you droppin' f-bombs?  Bring it on!"
*Insert laughter until joke gets tired and old*

Then again irony in my house is like.. carbon, everything is made of the stuff..

Plus aren't we talking about a morning disc jockey?  Aren't they the very definition of "hella lame"?   Weren't they the ones that propagated that retarded "The Shocker" meme for so long?  Yeaah.. you heard me.
Logged
So it's satire, is it?  Well that changes everything!

Lockjaw is serious times.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Important: Contains your embroidered G8 ballcap - 26/10/05
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2005, 02:32:52 pm »

Quote from: "aparrish"
Quote from: "CortJstr"
I freaking hate the term "f-bomb." How can people even say this and not realize how stupid they sound?

Where I grew up (I grew up in Utah), any forbidden word - i.e., nearly all of them - could be referred to this way, replacing "f" with the initial of the word in question.  For some kids, from particularly conservative families, the "h-bomb" was "heck."

Every time I've heard this in real life I've feigned ignorance then after a moment said, "oooh. You mean 'fuck.'" I understand some people dance around certain words but "f-bomb" is just so incredibly stupid that I can't let it slide. Just say "f-word"

"The Shocker"? WTF?
Logged

misterqueue

  • Sick Fuck
  • VIP
  • R I S O T T O ?
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2011
  • I can do anything I want. And so can you.
    • View Profile
    • A Reason for Diseasin'
Important: Contains your embroidered G8 ballcap - 26/10/05
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2005, 02:39:09 pm »

Quote from: "CortJstr"


"The Shocker"? WTF?


Sorry, should've linked

Blame the morning DJ's man.. blame them.
Logged
So it's satire, is it?  Well that changes everything!

Lockjaw is serious times.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Important: Contains your embroidered G8 ballcap - 26/10/05
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2005, 02:51:36 pm »

Quote from: "misterqueue"
Quote from: "CortJstr"
"The Shocker"? WTF?

Sorry, should've linked

Blame the morning DJ's man.. blame them.

Ahhh. I'd heard several of those other sayings (usually on t-shirts) just not called The Shocker. Besides, isn't that the Version 1 handsign?
Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up