Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

“Do what you love and the money will follow,” as they say, but I would add, “...but don’t do ONLY what you love until it generates adequate cash flow.” -=RAY=-

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Ask me no questions, I'll tell you no lies.  (Read 25216 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Moderator
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
Ask me no questions, I'll tell you no lies.
« on: October 26, 2005, 11:05:33 pm »

Keep your mouth shut and don't catch flies.

Seriously, though- I often have problems or questions that I'd like answered, and my google-fu just isn't up to the task. And I don't want to open a whole thread for them, so I was thinking, maybe we can post any specific questions in here, regarding anything small- cooking, badmiton, lovin', anything. Does that sound good?

Okay, I just got an old manual typewriter- an Olivetti Lettera 22. I've been poking around on it for a while, trying to figure it out, and I think I've got everything covered except....how dark should the type come out? Why isn't my type coming out consistantly? Is my ribbon not moving enough?

That's my question. And now you post yours!

EDUCATION.
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Ask me no questions, I'll tell you no lies.
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2005, 11:10:43 pm »

Is it the fabric ribbon? The one with black on top and red on the bottom? How old is it? ALso, can you still get those?

Those ink-impregnated ribbons can dry out. Also, they are supposed to ratchet a little bit onto the take-up spool as you type. Check the ratcheting action to make sure you aren't typing on the same spot over and over. That would cause lighter letters.
Logged

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
Ask me no questions, I'll tell you no lies.
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2005, 12:23:02 am »

Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
Is it the fabric ribbon? The one with black on top and red on the bottom? How old is it? ALso, can you still get those?


I've been able to find standard-sized generic ones at office supply places for pretty cheap.  If the ribbon was already in there when you got it, it's worth getting a new one.
Logged
goose means greedy

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Ask me no questions, I'll tell you no lies.
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2005, 12:34:27 am »

I guess they would have to be cheap....

Of course, we bought a very recently marketed HP printer and NO CARTIDGES AVAILABLE ANYWHERE (of course, this is an island) for it - I'm ready to send a letter to HP demanding my money back if they can't support their product with the most basic of supplies.
Logged

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Moderator
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
Ask me no questions, I'll tell you no lies.
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2005, 12:43:47 am »

Yeah, these are new ribbons. I've actually spent a fair amount of time fiddling with this thing and its insides.
I think the problem is thus: on the ribbon spools, I only have one little thumbscrew for the both of them. I've got it on the left right now, I think I need one on both- the ribbon isn't going across at a standardized speed. Also, I bought the ribbons at a stationary store; they might be really, really old. I'm going to stop by Staples tomorrow and buy some that I know will be fresh.
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Ask me no questions, I'll tell you no lies.
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2005, 02:27:03 am »

If it's a manual, finger pressure may be an issue.  Also, typewritten documents will never be as crisp and consistent as laser printed (or inkjet) ones.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

V-Adore

  • Guest
Ask me no questions, I'll tell you no lies.
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2005, 02:27:44 am »

Man, where do you get a typewriter these days? I sort of want one.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Ask me no questions, I'll tell you no lies.
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2005, 02:55:36 am »

Oh and badminton is hell of fun.  Me and the Mrs. play it every summer.  She generally kicks my ass because she is quicker than me and badminton is a very fast game.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Ask me no questions, I'll tell you no lies.
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2005, 04:00:28 am »

I think I'll go outside and chase a hoop with a stick. Those kids in those old pictures look like they are having the damn time of their lives.
Logged

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Moderator
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
Ask me no questions, I'll tell you no lies.
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2005, 05:04:05 am »

I found mine on eBay.
I know it's a ridiculous affectation, but I just like writing letters on a typewriter better than out by hand; andalucia can attest to my awful chicken-scratch.
So.....any other questions?
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Ask me no questions, I'll tell you no lies.
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2005, 05:46:14 am »

Yes, I have one:

I am in the market for a new winter boot.  Warmth is not an issue for me, as I have super hot feet.  Also, I have average sized feet to size shouldn't be a problem.  However, good arch support, water/snow proofness and good grip are, as I will be walking to work every day.  stylishness is also important:  I would actually prefer a daily wear type boot that I can wear indoors/outdoors - so I'd rather they not be ugly.  Durability is also important - I will lay down major cheddar for the right boot.  I have had several very negative experiences with boots the past three winters including last years expensive Harley Davidson black leather ass kickers, which sadly did not kick ass at all, and had split at the connection at leather to sole spot within three months and were filling with slush repeatedly - boo to that.  I prefer a lady style boot - no major heel, but also I don't want to look like I'm into the Indigo Girls too much, if you know what I mean, so any input in regard to stylish yet functional ladies boots would be much apreciated.

More specifically, I'm wondering about the Australian Blundstone boots, I checked out their site, and the boots sound great, but I'd love to hear a reaction from someone who's tried these puppies out in wet/snowy conditions.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

arkabee

  • VIP
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 153
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1280
  • i still hate the new forum software.
    • View Profile
Ask me no questions, I'll tell you no lies.
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2005, 03:25:51 pm »

old school manual typewriter-  bang on it.

letter writing affectatious?- get down with it, you care enough to send the very legible.

hoop and stick- let us know how that works out for you.  i was always under the impression that the hoop was "liberated" from an older sibling's dress, and that most of the fun was rolling your sister's undergarment accessory down the street.

inkjet printers- are the devil's work.

boots- i am a big fan of Doctor Marten's boot.  i've always ended up wearing the sole out before any other part.  the soles, often times, are anti-static.  these soles have always given me amazing traction on ice.  negatives- possibility of pretentiousness and the fact that the boots themselves are incredibly thin leather.   workaround to negatives- like me, cultivate greater character flaws to mask possible boot choice issues, and buy a size or 1/2 size large and wear large socks.
also, the tounges are connected, so as long as you wax/oil them correctly they do a good job at staying dry-ish.



now for my questions:

why would two birds fall out of the fuck*ng sky for no apparent reason, one of them bouncing off your deck's railing, then lie on the ground twitching, and then stop moving, and then the next day only one remains?
and, more importantly, my first instinct is to ignore the carcassasesesssesses (sp?) and leave them alone in an effort to not get germs.  should i purchase an army surplus hazmat suit and burn them, or what?

imagine a house with a cat.  that cat had his front claws, uh, declawed.  imagine a kitten, newly arrived to the house, being scheduled to be declawed and made a eunuch.  is it better to declaw all 4 or only the front 2?  please note, he will be declawed, period, evil exists.  also note, neither has given any indication of using claws to cause permenant damage to each other as of yet.

what's the best place to find ooooooooooldish phonograph equipment such as needles and motors and whatnot?
Logged
"God forbid I'd ever be separated from my Duran Duran for a single minute!"
-August West
"Maybe Hanson or the Jonas Brothers might finally lose their shit one day."
-Nabubrush

V-Adore

  • Guest
Ask me no questions, I'll tell you no lies.
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2005, 03:38:49 pm »

Quote from: "arkabee"

boots- i am a big fan of Doctor Marten's boot.  i've always ended up wearing the sole out before any other part.  the soles, often times, are anti-static.  these soles have always given me amazing traction on ice.  negatives- possibility of pretentiousness and the fact that the boots themselves are incredibly thin leather.   workaround to negatives- like me, cultivate greater character flaws to mask possible boot choice issues, and buy a size or 1/2 size large and wear large socks.
also, the tounges are connected, so as long as you wax/oil them correctly they do a good job at staying dry-ish.

Maybe it's just a difference in models, but I found my Doc Martens to be incredibly slippery on ice, to the point that I stopped wearing them in the winter (I was getting better traction in my freakin' Vans). Caveat boot-shopper, I suppose.

Quote
imagine a house with a cat.  that cat had his front claws, uh, declawed.  imagine a kitten, newly arrived to the house, being scheduled to be declawed and made a eunuch.  is it better to declaw all 4 or only the front 2?  please note, he will be declawed, period, evil exists.  also note, neither has given any indication of using claws to cause permenant damage to each other as of yet.

Front 2 alone should be okay. I've never noticed any particular problem with the back claws, and hey, fair is fair, right?
Logged

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Ask me no questions, I'll tell you no lies.
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2005, 06:13:25 pm »

I always leave my cats with back claws so that they have some little bit of weaponry just in case. I've never had a problem with them using back claws to scratch - one of our cats makes a great show of scratching with his clawless front feet on the sofa or on any cardboard box he finds. It's quite amusing.

As for the birds falling from the sky - I dunno - did they bounce off a window higher up? Touch two power lines at once? Eat poison somewhere and it kicked in over your porch? Hard to say.
Logged

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Moderator
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
Ask me no questions, I'll tell you no lies.
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2005, 07:48:25 pm »

I'm a HUGE fan and supporter of Frye boots- I've had a pair of the Harness ones for- jesus, 6 years now, and they've held up to 3 New York winters, now. The only thing I've ever had to do for them is get a heel replaced 2 years ago. Except...wow, the prices on the website are really high- I got my long-shafts for like $120, and I actually grabbed 2 pairs of low-shafts for $35 each at an Urban Outfitters ultrasale. Foolish hipsters don't know a good deal when it looks them in the face.
I also just bought some Docs for work, but I don't know how warm they'll be, as it's basically a piece of leather and then my foot. The leather on my Frye's is at least 3 times as thick.

And eBay or specialty online places might be your best bets for phonograph stuff, but if you can use, say, a Stanton needle or a Technics motor, you can probably get those at any hi-fi store.
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Up