Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

TERRIBLE!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Ask me no questions, I'll tell you no lies.  (Read 25246 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

acoxcae

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 314
  • Because I don't have one. Never have.
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
Ask me no questions, I'll tell you no lies.
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2005, 08:43:18 pm »

I buy most of my turntable stuff at www.needledoctor.com - the staff is really helpful and pretty quick to respond to an email, and their prices are good on most things - I've gotten 3 or 4 Ortofon cartridges from them, and they're always here in a few days at a good price.

I've never gotten a new motor from them, and they don't seem to have them listed - but I'd wager that they can get one for you, or know where you can get one.  Good luck!
Logged
this new board has a shitload of buttons.

why are there no zippers?
-thanks ark

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Moderator
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
Ask me no questions, I'll tell you no lies.
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2005, 03:18:23 am »

Major news you guys:
It turns out I'm an idiot and had the spools backwards, then forwards on already typed on thread. I have worked my issues out.

Also, I'd like to emphasize boot socks, just as a general awesome thing to have. I say this because my feet are cold enough to freeze the balls of a brass monkey, which I'm sure someone's going to remind us is actually a stack of cannonballs. Because we are about EDUCATION.
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Moderator
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
Ask me no questions, I'll tell you no lies.
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2005, 07:17:40 am »

A new question, because I have a faulty brain.
Does anyone here read DC Comics?
Can this person explain all of this Identity Crisis/Infinite Crisis crap? Because I have to know about it by Saturday, and after an hour reading the wiki on it, I only know that Batman had his brain wiped, and some other guy did too, and that someone was killed by a character named Captain Boomerang, who, guess what, throws Boomerangs, and there's also a chimp who is a detective, who is called Detective Chimp.
I hate DC comics.
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!

V-Adore

  • Guest
Ask me no questions, I'll tell you no lies.
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2005, 07:18:55 am »

Quote from: "Bozack"
A new question, because I have a faulty brain.
Does anyone here read DC Comics?
Can this person explain all of this Identity Crisis/Infinite Crisis crap? Because I have to know about it by Saturday, and after an hour reading the wiki on it, I only know that Batman had his brain wiped, and some other guy did too, and that someone was killed by a character named Captain Boomerang, who, guess what, throws Boomerangs, and there's also a chimp who is a detective, who is called Detective Chimp.
I hate DC comics.

I would attempt to explain, but everything I know about Identity/Infinite Crisis I have learned either from Ben-San or from guys really, really bitter about minor characters getting killed off. So I'm passing the baton to Ben here.
Logged

Ben-San

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 164
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1259
  • Two-Fisted Detective
    • View Profile
Ask me no questions, I'll tell you no lies.
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2005, 07:53:43 am »

Baton passed. I'll first explain: Infinite Crisis is an incredibly stupid and sprawling mess that I've only read parts of, so this will be kind of incomplete.

Infinite Crisis is a morass of somewhat interconnected storylines that will supposedly change the DC universe forever, just like the last five did. Identity Crisis was the first of these, and revolved around the murder of Elongated Man's wife, Sue. In the course of the investigation, it came out that Dr. Light (the evil one, not the heroic Japanese one) had raped Sue during Elongated Man's time in the Justice League, and that the Justice League had performed magical brainwashing on him and several other villains. On learning this, several members of the League left. Eventually Sue's murderer turned out to be The Atom's ex-fiancee Jean Loring, who had decided that if a superhero's wife died, they would all pay more attention to their loved ones.

Meanwhile, in another storyline, Blue Beetle discovers that there is some kind of sinister project underway called "OMAC" involving spy satellites and nanite-colony supersoldiers. Due to his reputation as a loser, his repeated calls for assistance from other superheroes are ignored. He is then shot and killed by former Justice League backer Maxwell Lord, who has been retrofitted with a new personality by someone who didn't think the old one was eXtreme enough. He now hates all superheroes, has regained an amplified version of the mind-control powers he once possessed, and is apparently a member of the superspy organization Checkmate. He mind-controls Superman, and is killed by Wonder Woman. There is also some kind of connection between the OMAC project and Batman's company, Wayne Enterprises, but from here on in my knowledge is mainly hearsay, so it's kind of fuzzy.

Apparently the OMAC supersoldiers go berserk and kill Rocket Red, presumably carrying out DC editor-in-chief Dan Didio's mission of vengeance against the early-90s run of Justice League written by Keith Giffen, a kind of "superhero sitcom" in which everyone who has been killed so far were given major roles.  

Meanwhile, in a plot that may or may not have anything to do with anything else, third-string villain Cat-Man along with a lot of other mediocre supervillains I don't even remember has formed a group called Villains United that go around killing people. So far, Deathstroke The Terminator, who is currently not very popular and is therefore being written as a villain, has killed Firestorm, Uncle Sam, The Black Condor, The Phantom Lady, and The Freedom Fighters.

Also, Power Girl has received her fourth secret true origin, establishing her to be Superman's lost cousin from another dimension, although still distinct from Supergirl, who may or may not be Superman's cousin from this dimension, but certainly likes to kill people, perhaps as a result of being introduced as a new character and then killed about four or five times in the past fifteen years. Also also, the wizard Shazam, from whom Captain Marvel derives his powers, has been killed by someone, I don't really care much at this point, and his Rock Of Eternity has shattered into myriad mystical artifacts which rained down on Gotham City.

There's probably more but this is about the limit of my knowledge and I have no real desire to actually read more at this point.
Logged

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Moderator
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
Ask me no questions, I'll tell you no lies.
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2005, 10:36:57 am »

....
I joined a comic book discussion group- the Comic Book Readers League, because you've got to get League in there, and our first meeting, I guess, is this Saturday. We all got to pick books we'd like to....something. I don't know. Discuss? Contemplate? I sent in Desolation Jones and BPRD: Black Flame, and the other picks are Manhattan Guardian (which I've read and think is a bit crap), Samurai Executioner (which I haven't read, and sounds manga-esque, so I can actually find a trade of it), The New Avengers (which I think is pretty awesome) and Infinite Crisis, which I didn't pick up because I've washed my hands of all straight DC titles that do not involve Deadman or the Demon Ertigan, because those guys are pretty cool. Any continuity where you have Superman, a literally invincible man, as a good guy, and Gorilla Grodd, a fuck*ng talking GORILLA, as a SUPERVILLIAN, is so far beyond any sort of belief-suspension...I mean, jesus. On a certain level, I can say to myself, okay, I can see how radioactive waste, flung into the eyes, might blind a man but give him radar senses, and he'd become a superhero/lawyer. I can deal with that. But the idea that Superman, at some point in his life, has ever had to fight a god damned gorilla is just depressing. I know he's supposed to be, you know, good and moral and etc., but if I was basically a living god, and someone asked me to help them out with the monkey they've got running around, I'd probably kill the monkey first with my heat vision, and then kill the person asking, just for thinking that I'd take the time.
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!

Ben-San

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 164
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1259
  • Two-Fisted Detective
    • View Profile
Ask me no questions, I'll tell you no lies.
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2005, 11:01:50 am »

Incoming comic-book dorkery. (I mean, beyond the asked-for level of dorkery in my last post.)

Grodd is a gorilla with mind-control powers, which makes him a bit more of a threat, and rarely fights Superman. Granted, a certain amount of suspension of disbelief is required for how much events compartmentalize into small character groups, but one assumes Superman thinks "Well, I've got enough going on in Metropolis, I'll let The Flash handle this one since it's in Central City anyway". Superman did once have a gorilla nemesis, but it was Titano, a giant gorilla who shot Kryptonite lasers from his eyes.

I actually quite liked Manhattan Guardian, but I can see it not being everyone's thing. You might want to look into JSA; I like it a lot and got a certain amount of the same storytelling vibe from it that I got from New Avengers, but I don't know if it'll lose some of its appeal to someone who doesn't feel the same way I do about Golden Age DC comics. Birds of Prey was also a good adventure comic last I saw, but I don't know who's still on it.

Also, props for due respect to Deadman. I love all the old DC occult/mystery stuff and he is one of the greats.
Logged

Lister

  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 101
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 892
  • 2, 4, 6, 8, time to transubstantiate!
    • View Profile
Ask me no questions, I'll tell you no lies.
« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2005, 01:05:52 pm »

That's probably one of the better summaries of Infinite Crisis I've seen, but one thing that seems to be important is that the OMAC project is based on files that Batman kept on each superhero and their weaknesses.  He did made these files and a satellite monitoring system as a backup plan, without the rest of the league's knowledge, in case anyone went rogue and he had to stop them.  

Of course, that system got stolen, and Beetle went to investigate and got all shot in the head, and then Batman had to explain his death and how he created the monitoring satellites and computer system (which is now rogue, because all fictional AIs go rogue), and then he finds out that he's been mindwiped, and then he leaves the League, and stuff.

I think.  I haven't actually read any of these comics, myself.  I like the animated series better, because the heroes there are likeable and do good stuff.

If you would like to have access to many, many comics to see what they are about, you should check out the Scans_Daily LiveJournal community.  It's basically a place where comic fans post selections from things they like (or hate) and you can read them on the internet.  This is how I gleaned the information above about IC without actually seeing the comics in person.

A lot of the Infinite Crisis has been posted and discussed in recent months, so it's an okay place to familiarize yourself with events.  There's also a lot of discussion of artists and writers of various arcs/books, so you can greatly enhance your hipness* factor by seeing the difference between Miller and Millar and such.

Also people there laugh about Robin wearing green panties.  They laugh a lot.  And some of them write stories about it.

*In the relative sense, of course.  In societal terms, this is the path of dorkitude, but I'm sure you all knew that.[/i]
Logged
Lister.  Not that one, the other one.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Ask me no questions, I'll tell you no lies.
« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2005, 02:26:45 pm »

Gorilla Grodd
He's an evil Gorilla, but someone named Gorilla Grodd who's a member of the Legion of Doom has no business being anything else.

I never got into DC either. I exclusively read Marvel until the whole who we'd thought was Peter Parker for like 15 years was really the clone all along and Mary Jane's been pregnant for like 2 years now storylines. Then I got into NEC. It's all about Man Eating Cow and Crisis on Finite Tick Spinoffs, baby.
Logged

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Moderator
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
Ask me no questions, I'll tell you no lies.
« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2005, 07:24:41 pm »

This is probably the best page about DC characters ever.

Yeah, I missed out on all the clone stuff. Now, in the Avengers and Marvel Knights: Spiderman, he actually mocks the whole "clone" stuff. I think he's really come to terms with it. Also, in a recent one, the Green Goblin threw Mary Jane off of the SAME DAMN BRIDGE he threw Gwen Stacey off of, and THIS time, Spidey knew enough to shoot several strands at her, catching her at every key point, so that when she finally stopped plummeting her neck WOULDN'T snap like a twig. He makes a mental comment about thinking about this for years, how he should have done it right the first time. I'm proud of him. He's gotten through a lot of his issues.
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!

Ben-San

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 164
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1259
  • Two-Fisted Detective
    • View Profile
Ask me no questions, I'll tell you no lies.
« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2005, 11:13:07 pm »

Quote from: "Lister"
If you would like to have access to many, many comics to see what they are about, you should check out the Scans_Daily LiveJournal community.  It's basically a place where comic fans post selections from things they like (or hate) and you can read them on the internet.  This is how I gleaned the information above about IC without actually seeing the comics in person.


I tend to post to scans_daily fairly often. It is also possible for those with a good Internet connection and the desire to read comics but not a sufficiently strong desire to pay for comics to find ways to do so, but the selected samples on scans_daily will give less of a moral quandary if you are prone to quandaries.
Logged

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Moderator
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
Ask me no questions, I'll tell you no lies.
« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2005, 05:44:50 am »

New question.
I was prescribed, a few months ago, an anti-anxiety drug along with a mood-stabilizer. The mood-stabilizer works great. The anti-anxiety drug turns out to be highly addictive and cause aphasia and anteriograde amnesia; I was not informed of this when I started taking the drug. I only found out when I went through 5 days of really, really tough withdrawl when I ran out and learned that in New York, the drug (Clonazepam) cannot be obtained without a special form filled out by a New York doctor.
Well, now I have a new psychiatrist, and my first appointment is on December 1st; however, she told me that she will not see me if I am still on Clonazepam. I have to be off of it in 2 weeks. And when I ran out before, by the 5th day, I was spraying myself with Raid, convinced that I was emitting a phermone that attracted roaches. And, as I later found out, the withdrawal doesn't actually reach it's head until the 8th day. I was only HALF-WAY THROUGH the withdrawal.
So I asked her if there was anything I could do to keep from going completely batshit during this time, aside from tapering the dose instead of stopping cold turkey. She then said the following.
"Do whatever makes you relax. Whatever. Anything that makes you relax, I condone and encourage the use of. Anything that makes you relax."
Now, I'm no doctor of psychiatry, but I assume she meant "smoke a TON of pot," which actually helped me when I was withdrawing the first time. This is pretty-much okay with me. But I don't want to have to wake and bake on the days I work and be completely gone. Sooooo....
Pot butter. Any recipies? I've looked at a few online, but I'd rather get it from the kind folks at TOUAMB, and if anyone has any good withdrawal strategies, please share.
Thanks, all.
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!

JorgeFabregas

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 93
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1227
  • I was impressed.
    • View Profile
Ask me no questions, I'll tell you no lies.
« Reply #27 on: November 17, 2005, 06:45:07 am »

I have no assistance for you, but I think your perception is completely correct regarding her comments.
Logged
And we know who we should love. But we're never certain how.

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Moderator
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
Ask me no questions, I'll tell you no lies.
« Reply #28 on: November 17, 2005, 06:53:12 am »

Quote from: "JorgeFabregas"
I have no assistance for you, but I think your perception is completely correct regarding her comments.


I swear to god, she actually repeated that phrase 8 times in the conversation. I felt like I was scheduling an appointment with Cheech.
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Ask me no questions, I'll tell you no lies.
« Reply #29 on: November 17, 2005, 07:32:34 am »

Lightly Saute your buds in butter. The THC is fat-soluble.

Methods and recipes here.

If you can get to Hawaii I will personally stay up with you for 8 days and prevent you from hurting yourself or others while you get off that nasty shit.

Research the drugs before you take them, seriously - especially ones that affect your mood or how your brain works.
Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Up