Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

RT@achewood New Roast Beef band name: THE DATA-TONES

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Ask me no questions, I'll tell you no lies.  (Read 25316 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Ask me no questions, I'll tell you no lies.
« Reply #60 on: November 21, 2005, 11:37:00 pm »

Oh, Bozack...

I too know the terrible yuckiness that is public transit, but I ride the bus, and almost daily.  My anger level is never higher than when I'm crushed on a bus with someone whose shouting to somone on their cell phone about "that bitch."  

I've developed two personal rules that help me get through it.  As a public service to you and anyone else here who uses public transportation, I'll list them here and encourage anyone else to post their own suggestions too.

Rule #1: always wear headphones, even if you are not listening to music. (this discourages crazy people from talking to you, or if they do, it allows you to ignore them without feeling totally like an ass.  Also, if you aren't listening to anything, you can intentionally experiement with pushing other peoples limits in subtle ways like leaning into them and you can then hear things about yourself from the comments of those who don't think you can hear them.

Rule #2: Always carry a small sample vial of perfume or cologne, or an apple and/or orange.  If you are stuck beside someone with body odour, mouth odour, bladder issues, etc.  it is always good to have something that you deem "clean smelling" to keep near your nose to counter the effects.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Ask me no questions, I'll tell you no lies.
« Reply #61 on: November 21, 2005, 11:48:58 pm »

I can't help but wonder just how lucky/apparently rich I've been - everyone on the trains I rode to work were impeccably clean skyscraper types with WSJ's and briefcases.  

The Bus I ride now is populated with 1/3 HS School students on their way to various private High Schools, 2/3 people heading to downtown jobs - the trick is to get on the bus really early. I get on around 6:15 and it's pretty OK. Much later and I hear it gets weirder.
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Ask me no questions, I'll tell you no lies.
« Reply #62 on: November 22, 2005, 02:22:59 am »

Quote from: "side_show"


Rule #1: always wear headphones, even if you are not listening to music. (this discourages crazy people from talking to you, or if they do, it allows you to ignore them without feeling totally like an ass.


I second this advice, useful for many public situations.

I grew up in NYC and didn't learn to drive till an advanced age so I always took public transit everywhere and didn't think anything of it.  But now that I've been driving to work for a couple of years, getting on the subway is such a shock.  And this is the DC Metro, where one generally feels not adequately dressed up if one is wearing jeans.  It's pretty civilized.   But now I am so shocked by all these people in my space.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Ask me no questions, I'll tell you no lies.
« Reply #63 on: November 22, 2005, 02:49:16 am »

Quote from: "wombat"
And this is the DC Metro, where one generally feels not adequately dressed up if one is wearing jeans.  It's pretty civilized.   But now I am so shocked by all these people in my space.

As somebody who only takes the metro on weekends and at night I must say, wtf?
Logged

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Ask me no questions, I'll tell you no lies.
« Reply #64 on: November 22, 2005, 03:49:42 am »

I rode the subway all over London and it was a pleasurable experience.  Everything was (relatively) clean and seemed to be running efficiently.  I was never hassled for money and I never encountered any menacing freaks even late at night.  In fact i'm quite sure I was the freak because I didn't avoid eye contact and said howdy to anyone who sat or stood near me.  You'd be amazed how disarming friendliness can be.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Ask me no questions, I'll tell you no lies.
« Reply #65 on: November 22, 2005, 03:57:51 am »

Thank you Melanie for the advice.  It is well recieved.  I didn't smoke pot this weekend, but it was more due to fear of punishment than fear of psychosis.  Although this may suggest otherwise, I am doing perfectly fine.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Ask me no questions, I'll tell you no lies.
« Reply #66 on: November 22, 2005, 05:25:34 am »

Yeah, you definitly don't want that car taken away due to punishment.  That would suck.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Ask me no questions, I'll tell you no lies.
« Reply #67 on: November 22, 2005, 05:41:28 am »

I love public transportation, especially the train.  I could ride on the train just for fun for hours, listening to music and daydreaming.

Amtrack long distance rail is of course more fun and much nicer than regional Septa rail (Philly's transit system) but even the nasty-ass local trains are nice to ride on.  I love hearing the stop announcements, watching people get on and off, watching people sitting waiting for the train, watching the landscape blow by... it is relaxing and enjoyable, even when really busy and crowded.

Of course, being a man of gravity, I am aware that other people dread watching me walk down the aisle, hoping that I will not squeeze-in next to them.  And usually I'll just stand if there isn't ample room.  I don't want to be packed in tightly with some stranger.

arkabee

  • VIP
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 153
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1280
  • i still hate the new forum software.
    • View Profile
Ask me no questions, I'll tell you no lies.
« Reply #68 on: November 22, 2005, 02:32:31 pm »

headphones will also help keep wind from blowing into your ear canal and making you die with the fever and the pain.

jough is right, trains are fun.  woooo, wooooo.

that clickety clack clack is an amazing sound.

wooo, woooo!
Logged
"God forbid I'd ever be separated from my Duran Duran for a single minute!"
-August West
"Maybe Hanson or the Jonas Brothers might finally lose their shit one day."
-Nabubrush

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Ask me no questions, I'll tell you no lies.
« Reply #69 on: November 22, 2005, 05:51:26 pm »

Quote from: "CortJstr"
Quote from: "wombat"
And this is the DC Metro, where one generally feels not adequately dressed up if one is wearing jeans.  It's pretty civilized.   But now I am so shocked by all these people in my space.

As somebody who only takes the metro on weekends and at night I must say, wtf?


I guess it makes sense it's different at off hours, but try a rush hour sometime. It's like you're standing around some government office but with a strange hallucination that it's moving.  It's not like this in NY where there are all classes of people regardless of the time.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

JorgeFabregas

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 93
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1227
  • I was impressed.
    • View Profile
Ask me no questions, I'll tell you no lies.
« Reply #70 on: November 22, 2005, 08:18:41 pm »

My wife finds that she hates humanity much less when she rides to work on the El instead of drives. Driving brings Chicago drivers. Driving brings anger.
Logged
And we know who we should love. But we're never certain how.

Thee

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 51
  • I adidas Rio
    • View Profile
    • New England Fashion Update!
Ask me no questions, I'll tell you no lies.
« Reply #71 on: November 22, 2005, 08:44:05 pm »

What johnny cash album should I get?
Logged
R U Passionate??

Lister

  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 101
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 892
  • 2, 4, 6, 8, time to transubstantiate!
    • View Profile
Ask me no questions, I'll tell you no lies.
« Reply #72 on: November 22, 2005, 09:25:27 pm »

I love the London subway.  The early lines are quaint and fun (except if you are in rush hour in a popular station), and the recently-built lines are from the future.  Everything's generally as clean as can be expected, and people are generally nice*.  If you know your line changes beforehand, it's possible to transfer really quickly through them.  I had fun doing it, and I'm not sure why.

For reference, the Paris Metro smells like feet.  Feet soaked in cheese.  It's pretty much clean, but since most trains use rubber wheels and there really isn't much ventilation... cheesefeetass.

I really do have to agree with the headphones thing.  You automatically create a bubble of indifference around yourself, which can be a powerful weapon.  I like the rubberized earbud style, which blocks quite a bit of sound even when there's no music.  Kind of nod your head to some beat and people will leave you alone unless they want money.  Keep nodding and even those people will go away.  Power!

* Except for the girl who tried to pick my pocket just as the doors were closing.  But even she was polite about it, and I didn't have my wallet in my back pocket anyway 'cause I'm paranoid like that.
Logged
Lister.  Not that one, the other one.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Ask me no questions, I'll tell you no lies.
« Reply #73 on: November 22, 2005, 11:47:58 pm »

Quote from: "JorgeFabregas"
My wife finds that she hates humanity much less when she rides to work on the El instead of drives. Driving brings Chicago drivers. Driving brings anger.


I used to agree with this.  But now I find that people on the subway can make me just as annoyed.  They are walking too slowly in front of me or they are standing still on the escalator and not letting anyone by or they are wearing shoes that no mortal woman should reward the shoe industry for producing.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Ask me no questions, I'll tell you no lies.
« Reply #74 on: November 22, 2005, 11:57:43 pm »

Quote from: "wombat"
I used to agree with this.  But now I find that people on the subway can make me just as annoyed.  They are walking too slowly in front of me or they are standing still on the escalator and not letting anyone by or they are wearing shoes that no mortal woman should reward the shoe industry for producing.

Stand right, walk left. It's not calculus here, people. Why do we waste the time of school children everywhere with cursive writing and how to improperly address a letter but we can't teach "stand right, walk left"?
Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Up