Jesssuuuuussssssss. Chrisssssttttt.
This. Is. The. WORST. Argument. Ever. In high school, I went to an art camp where we took a class, for three hours twice a week, where a bunch of teenagers argued about what ART was. AND THIS IS WORSE THAN THAT.
Look, I don't like the imaginary hipsters either, with their Trucker hats and PBRs, but you have to realize that they don't exist. Nobody identifies with "hipster" because "hipster" is a derogatory term*, and easily can contain anyone you want it to contain. I'm 19, I live in a cheap, shitty apartment in an slowly gentrifying ethnic neighborhood, I work at a bookstore, I own a guitar but can't play it, I have a "UAW- Indiana's Best" t-shirt despite never belonging to the Indiana UAW shirt and I have longish hair, I guess. I wear ##### until they fall apart and t-shirts until...well, I never stop wearing t-shirts. If I just told you all of this, hell, if I wasn't familiar with the situation, we could reasonably assume "hipster." I don't think I'm a hipster, but if you extend the boundaries enough, you can catch anyone.
The current hipster backlash, which is now actually just a huge hipster-bashing mandala, with hipsters bashing hipsters for bashing hipsters for bashing hipsters, is just a cultural choice.
Are hipsters destroying society? No, of course not. Jesus. And all of the flying spaghetti shit? Yeah, I think that's idiotic, but I'll bet that anyone involved in that went to the polls on election day. I'm not sure what else, exactly, the hipsters should mobilize to do to convince religious conservatives that evolution is awesome. For some reason, I don't think that the 700 Club gives two shits what some kids in Brooklyn think, and it's pretty obvious that the President doesn't. When you come up with some striking new game-plan that hasn't been tried, something other than "trying to get everyone to vote," give me a call- I'll put it up on craigslist and give hipster high command the go orders.
Name me a single time in history when life has not be "materialistic." People usually seem fixated on material goods because, throughout history, those without any tended to die- I think it'll be pretty hard to train people, in general, to somehow abandon animal nature and become glowing beings of pure reason.
Anyway, I find Cat And Girl funny, I liked Pinkerton when I was in 9th grade and find the songs nostalgicly good, I read boingboing daily (they also tend to have a ton of social advocacy information, and also, technically, it started as a 'zine in...the late 80's, I think. Maybe they were slackers? Who then went into larval stages during the Clinton and emerged hipsters in '99?), and I think most everything else on that list sucks donkey balls.
*
Interestly enough considering some of the points above, in one of his comics he basically says the worst thing you can do to a hipster is to call them one.