Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Wombat changed her avatar back and no one noticed. Her feelings are hurt.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Aging Hipster Discussions  (Read 8845 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Bobby Isosceles

  • Guest
Aging Hipster Discussions
« Reply #45 on: November 01, 2005, 04:39:40 am »

Quote from: "Bozack"
I thought I asked a question.
Bobby, define "hipsters" for the class.


RIVERS CUOMO AND THE REST OF THE SUICIDE GIRLS
Logged

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Aging Hipster Discussions
« Reply #46 on: November 01, 2005, 08:22:41 am »

Quote from: "Bobby Isosceles"

RIVERS CUOMO AND THE REST OF THE SUICIDE GIRLS


Rivers Cuomo is a Suicide Girl now? I guess that doesn't stop him being overly pretentious though...
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

antioch

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 185
  • fuggedaboudit!
    • View Profile
    • Facehugger Records
Aging Hipster Discussions
« Reply #47 on: November 01, 2005, 06:11:51 pm »

Man, Suicide Girls. If I may take a moment and say something about that site.

I find it particularly sinister because it fetishizes punk (which in many cases is based on communities of rebellion and expression) for those on the cuff. It's like, "Oh man that girl has a spiked bracelet just like that one who said I am shit because I eat at McD's well how do you like me now OOOOH YEEEAAH". I mean, it's not like punk clothes and music are cultural history, but SG damages the potency of those using the style to make people think more than 2 decades of supposed "posers" could have.

I don't think any genre or style is a safe haven from mass market adaptation. I accept that many things I find meaningful and unique will one day be commoditized. But that for sure doesn't soften my hate of SG.
Logged
I am older now.

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Aging Hipster Discussions
« Reply #48 on: November 01, 2005, 06:34:33 pm »

Quote from: "antioch"


I find it particularly sinister because it fetishizes punk (which in many cases is based on communities of rebellion and expression) for those on the cuff. .........but SG damages the potency of those using the style to make people think more than 2 decades of supposed "posers" could have.

I don't think any genre or style is a safe haven from mass market adaptation. I accept that many things I find meaningful and unique will one day be commoditized. But that for sure doesn't soften my hate of SG.


Ya know, once I became a grownup I figured out that the MESSAGE is not carried by her bracelet or her dog collar or her spiky hair, I look at those people and, just like tattoos. I figure that for many it's hardly a state of rebellion - it's just an alternative form of conformity. Stand around yelling with your fist in the air - I probably won't notice. Turn your message into broadbased social/community or political action - that I will notice. Blow up an SUV or a McDonalds - you won't get support from the mainstream. And you won't get change.

Also, SG is run by a GUY. Who pays a woman to front the site, and he is making TONS of $$, basically, marketing the flesh of women. (not that there is anything unusual or socially unacceptable about that) So anyone who thinks it's anything different from your standard Jerk-off material is unfortunately falling for his marketing campaign.

And OF COURSE nothing is safe from mass market adaptation. Money makes the world go round no matter what. We are moving towards homogeneity at an astonishing rate.
Logged

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Aging Hipster Discussions
« Reply #49 on: November 01, 2005, 06:39:30 pm »

I have to say, genres and styles put me off anything. I used to pay attention in a roundabout way, but now it offends me.
To quote a King Missile song...
"I want to be different, like everybody else I want to be like
I want to be just like all the different people
I have no further interest in being the same,
because I have seen difference all around,"

It strikes me now that that is what punk, goth, emo, all of that shit is about. I just truly don't care and don't even pay attention to trying to be myself.
I just am. How profound.

I just noticed it's too easy to sound just as pretentious in saying that it's all pretentious... Bugger.

Edit: You kind of beat me to it AD.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

antioch

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 185
  • fuggedaboudit!
    • View Profile
    • Facehugger Records
Aging Hipster Discussions
« Reply #50 on: November 01, 2005, 07:31:53 pm »

Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
Quote from: "antioch"


I find it particularly sinister because it fetishizes punk (which in many cases is based on communities of rebellion and expression) for those on the cuff. .........but SG damages the potency of those using the style to make people think more than 2 decades of supposed "posers" could have.

I don't think any genre or style is a safe haven from mass market adaptation. I accept that many things I find meaningful and unique will one day be commoditized. But that for sure doesn't soften my hate of SG.


Ya know, once I became a grownup I figured out that the MESSAGE is not carried by her bracelet or her dog collar or her spiky hair, I look at those people and, just like tattoos. I figure that for many it's hardly a state of rebellon - it's just an alternative form of conformity. Stand around yelling with your fist in the air - I probably won't notice. Turn your message into broadbased social/community or political action - that I will notice. Blow up an SUV or a McDonalds - you won't get support from the mainstream. And you won't get change.

Also, SG is run by a GUY. Whp pays a woman to front the site, and he is making TONS of $$, basically, marketing the flesh of women. (not that there is anything unusual or socually unacceptable about that) So anyone who thinks it's anything different from your standard Jerk-off material is unfortunately falling for his marketing campaign.

And OF COURSE nothing is safe from mass market adaptation. Money makes the world go round no matter what. We are moving towards homogeneity at an astonishing rate.


I agree, a bracelet or band shirt, fist-pumping and yelling don't change one's surroundings. And I agree that SG is just another jerk-off site. I guess I'd like to say it offends me in particular. This is because I wear certain shirts and play a certain style of music in order to make friends (though I wouldn't say it's punk). People might notice my Achewood shirt or be reminded of a song they like by my music. With these friends, I can go out and rent an appartment, exchange recipes, etc. So yeah, punk is all symmantics and SG is just an entrepeneur capitalizing on a particular point in pop culture. But it hurts me because the imagery brings to mind people who tried to reach out by dressing or playing in a style that was, at a time, anomalous to our surroundings.
Logged
I am older now.

arkabee

  • VIP
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 153
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1280
  • i still hate the new forum software.
    • View Profile
Aging Hipster Discussions
« Reply #51 on: November 01, 2005, 08:24:46 pm »

i like interpol.  the antics cd is good.  i like the remix cd it came with.

fake people suck.  generalizations suck.  

ordinarily i would say that i am opposed to curry dishes, but given that the incredibly cool paul mcrae is pro- curry dishes i would have to say live and let eat or not eat curry.

i remember people thinking that because they had certain types of sunglasses, when i was really young i believe they were called "aviators" and when i was older and young i think they were some french name, that they were superior to other people.

how silly.
Logged
"God forbid I'd ever be separated from my Duran Duran for a single minute!"
-August West
"Maybe Hanson or the Jonas Brothers might finally lose their shit one day."
-Nabubrush

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Aging Hipster Discussions
« Reply #52 on: November 01, 2005, 08:51:16 pm »

Quote from: "antioch"
....This is because I wear certain shirts and play a certain style of music in order to make friends (though I wouldn't say it's punk). People might notice my Achewood shirt or be reminded of a song they like by my music. With these friends, I can go out and rent an appartment, exchange recipes, etc. So yeah, punk is all symmantics and SG is just an entrepeneur capitalizing on a particular point in pop culture. But it hurts me because the imagery brings to mind people who tried to reach out by dressing or playing in a style that was, at a time, anomalous to our surroundings.


Is there a reason you and I couldn't be friends even if I'm not into punk music? I hope not.

Who you are and what you listen to or wear today are in my mind so independent that I'm not going to avoid meeting you/helping/talking to you if there is an excuse for one of them (and you aren't hostile). Sometimes I think people adopt certain personas/personal quirks/fashions not to attract people like them so much as to create a wall to keep out people not like them.
Logged

misterqueue

  • Sick Fuck
  • VIP
  • R I S O T T O ?
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2011
  • I can do anything I want. And so can you.
    • View Profile
    • A Reason for Diseasin'
Aging Hipster Discussions
« Reply #53 on: November 01, 2005, 09:20:42 pm »

Quote from: "AlohaDawg"


Who you are and what you listen to or wear today are in my mind so independent that I'm not going to avoid meeting you/helping/talking to you if there is an excuse for one of them (and you aren't hostile). Sometimes I think people adopt certain personas/personal quirks/fashions not to attract people like them so much as to create a wall to keep out people not like them.


I suppose that's what it really boils down to in the end.  Are you defining yourself by a chosen culture or is your chosen culture merely a part of who you are?

If the former you're more likely to insulate yourself from other opportunities.  If the latter, then you're more likely to be a "person who happens to like this &c"

Man I'm rehashing I suppose.  I'll shutup now.
Logged
So it's satire, is it?  Well that changes everything!

Lockjaw is serious times.

Beatrice

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 280
    • View Profile
Aging Hipster Discussions
« Reply #54 on: November 28, 2005, 09:31:57 pm »

Geggy Tah!

I like them.  I have three CDs.  But this post is pretty much dead.



edit:  oops, no I only have two.  I guess I don't like them as much as I thought.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Aging Hipster Discussions
« Reply #55 on: November 28, 2005, 09:38:11 pm »

Quote from: "Beatrice"

edit:  oops, no I only have two.  I guess I don't like them as much as I thought.


You like them exactly one CD less than you thought.  Poser.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
Aging Hipster Discussions
« Reply #56 on: November 28, 2005, 11:30:58 pm »

......now I have that song in my head.
I HATE YOU.
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!

misterqueue

  • Sick Fuck
  • VIP
  • R I S O T T O ?
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2011
  • I can do anything I want. And so can you.
    • View Profile
    • A Reason for Diseasin'
Aging Hipster Discussions
« Reply #57 on: November 29, 2005, 04:57:32 am »

Stoppit stoppit.. everyone...

god, can't we let my bad attempt at starting a discussion die?  See what this has wrought?  Geggy Tah?!

Really people.
Logged
So it's satire, is it?  Well that changes everything!

Lockjaw is serious times.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up