Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood There’s no Day for apologizing to our parents for all the stupid shit we put them through. Perhaps because we never finish before they die.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: More of the Dumbwaiter (08-28-03)  (Read 6583 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

V-Adore

  • Guest
More of the Dumbwaiter (08-28-03)
« on: August 29, 2003, 01:36:51 am »

Another lovely strip today. All I can really say about it at this juncture is that I feel sorry for Beef. So, so sorry.

Also, "his first sex havin'" is a really great phrase in general.

Strip.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2011, 11:43:43 am by Nabubrush »
Logged

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
8/28: More of the Dumbwaiter
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2003, 01:58:34 am »

wow, why was Ray so mean?  What a jerk!
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
8/28: More of the Dumbwaiter
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2003, 02:07:15 am »

Hee Hee.  Another good one!

So, who do you think is in the elevator?  Obviously Beef, and I guess Lyle, but who's the third?  My guess is Todd because of the stutter.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
8/28: More of the Dumbwaiter
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2003, 02:13:47 am »

August has it nailed, I think...unless that dumbwaiter is a bunch bigger, it seems like Lyle and Todd.

I like the "I would pretend I was a sack of garbage" line myself...says so much about Roast Beef in general...

That R-r-r-ules!
Logged

ferocious j

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: -1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 231
    • View Profile
    • http://automatedredemption.com/flavorcountry/
8/28: More of the Dumbwaiter
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2003, 02:20:52 am »

Yeah, that's gotta be Todd.  Poor Beef, man.  He's been living in Ray's sexual shadow.
Logged
I step to the mic like a Jedi knight
I'm all "off with your head" with my neon light

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
8/28: More of the Dumbwaiter
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2003, 03:38:59 am »

I also found it interesting that Ray seems to live in ancestral manse.  Dude grew up in the house with the dumbwaiter.

Also, I keep flashing on the Three Stooges short where Moe gets trapped in a dumbwaiter and keeps getting plummeted to the cellar.  Those malletheads!
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
8/28: More of the Dumbwaiter
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2003, 03:54:59 am »

The dumbwaiter is Beef's confessional.  Also, it is clear now that Ray is responsible for most of Beef's hang ups.  He's really fucked up his good friends head.

Oh yeah, great strip.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

V-Adore

  • Guest
8/28: More of the Dumbwaiter
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2003, 03:57:44 am »

I don't really think it's too much of a surprise that Ray grew up in a great ancestral manse or that he appears to have had means even before "Ass In Your #####"; after all, he is worth 50 dollars.

Anyway... when is Beef going to learn that this friendship with Ray just isn't worth it? Will Lyle have to slap him around some to get him to listen?
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
8/28: More of the Dumbwaiter
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2003, 04:08:06 am »

Quote from: "pmcd9"
The dumbwaiter is Beef's confessional.  Also, it is clear now that Ray is responsible for most of Beef's hang ups.  He's really fucked up his good friends head.

Oh yeah, great strip.

~Paul


Yeah, it really seems to be a very complex relationship.  Because, even though I can't argue that Ray seems to have a high degree of culpability for Beef's neuroses, it is equally clear that Ray cares deeply for Beef (in a fraternal, buddy movie kinda way).  I don't think Ray maliciously fucked up Beef's psyche.  Beef's problems are like collateral damage from the force of Ray's personna explosion.

It's almost like they're not whole without each other.  Together they make a complete, functional cat.  On their own, they're each deeply flawed.

Could they really be brothers/half-brothers?  Ray could find out now that he has the time machine.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
8/28: More of the Dumbwaiter
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2003, 04:54:04 am »

I looove that Todd is the mystery character holding the flashlight.  Frikkin' awesome.
Logged

starlight

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 323
    • View Profile
    • http://www.livejournal.com/~aekastar
8/28: More of the Dumbwaiter
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2003, 05:00:12 am »

I like the whole reminiscin' aspect of it all.  reminds me of relationships I had with certain friends back in the day - nixing zee sex, of course :D
Logged
Texas only kept me awake

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
8/28: More of the Dumbwaiter
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2003, 07:28:37 am »

Quote from: "AugustWest"
Quote from: "pmcd9"
The dumbwaiter is Beef's confessional.  Also, it is clear now that Ray is responsible for most of Beef's hang ups.  He's really fucked up his good friends head.

Oh yeah, great strip.

~Paul


Yeah, it really seems to be a very complex relationship.  Because, even though I can't argue that Ray seems to have a high degree of culpability for Beef's neuroses, it is equally clear that Ray cares deeply for Beef (in a fraternal, buddy movie kinda way).  I don't think Ray maliciously fucked up Beef's psyche.  Beef's problems are like collateral damage from the force of Ray's personna explosion.

Come on, now - who didn't have someone hitting them in the head with a bat when they were a kid?
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

starlight

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 323
    • View Profile
    • http://www.livejournal.com/~aekastar
8/28: More of the Dumbwaiter
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2003, 09:42:50 am »

Quote from: "Nabubrush drinks (a lot)"
Come on, now - who didn't have someone hitting them in the head with a bat when they were a kid?


Proving a point -
I once hit this fat boy next door with a bat in sixth grade (not on purpose or in the head, but still) and I'm harmless!
Logged
Texas only kept me awake

bluebird_of_unhappiness

  • Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 48
    • View Profile
8/28: More of the Dumbwaiter
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2003, 11:57:13 am »

Would Mr. Bear be there also?
Logged
Who is fat?  Me (I am).

revdj

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 102
    • View Profile
    • http://www.dougshaw.com
8/28: More of the Dumbwaiter
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2003, 12:08:58 pm »

The strip has really gotten back into its groove lately, hasn't it?  It FEELS like achewood in a way that it hadn't for a bit.
Logged
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up