Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Chris waited all day for the Comcast repair guy, and he never showed up. What is he supposed to do with this cream pie?

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: More of the Dumbwaiter (08-28-03)  (Read 6581 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

satchel

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 108
    • View Profile
strip
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2003, 04:05:18 pm »

I like these latest strips a lot. I agree that Ray’s abuse of Beef is just a side-product of their friendship.
Logged
[size=10]Remember when Buffy's mom grounded her, sighing that the world wasn't going to end if Buffy didn't go out with her friends that night? But the world really was going to end![/size]

ferocious j

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: -1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 231
    • View Profile
    • http://automatedredemption.com/flavorcountry/
8/28: More of the Dumbwaiter
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2003, 06:16:11 pm »

Why do you suppose Lyle keeps telling Todd to kill the light?  Are they just worried about being found by the cops?
Logged
I step to the mic like a Jedi knight
I'm all "off with your head" with my neon light

satchel

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 108
    • View Profile
lite
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2003, 07:02:28 pm »

I figured they were dousing the light because of police-inspired paranoia.
Logged
[size=10]Remember when Buffy's mom grounded her, sighing that the world wasn't going to end if Buffy didn't go out with her friends that night? But the world really was going to end![/size]

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Re: lite
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2003, 07:04:35 pm »

Quote from: "satchel"
I figured they were dousing the light because of police-inspired paranoia.


Either that or Lyle has alcahol induced nocturnalist tendencies predominantly based on major light sensitivity. Or maybe it's straight albinism and we've not realised it all along!
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
8/28: More of the Dumbwaiter
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2003, 04:00:20 pm »

I vote that the light is only on at all to establish the scene for newcomers and "kill the light!" is therefore a MacGuffin.

And I think pretty much everybody is in there. "My heavens" sounds like Mr. Bear, the stutterer is Todd, "seeink" is obviously Vlad, and for some inexplicable reason I think "Whoah!" is Teador. Lyle could be killing the light.
Logged

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
8/28: More of the Dumbwaiter
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2003, 04:14:04 pm »

If it weren't for "kill the light" we would have had three strips in a row that were just sequences of black panels. My suspicion is that someone might have commented on this. Isn't it cool, though, that with just the minimal artwork that is in these three strips, they are still especially good?
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
8/28: More of the Dumbwaiter
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2003, 06:16:59 pm »

Quote from: "Nabubrush drinks (a lot)"
If it weren't for "kill the light" we would have had three strips in a row that were just sequences of black panels. My suspicion is that someone might have commented on this. Isn't it cool, though, that with just the minimal artwork that is in these three strips, they are still especially good?


But, there's been a kill the light in each of the three... From the start...
So, why must someone have mentioned it when he's been doing it from the beginning.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
8/28: More of the Dumbwaiter
« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2003, 06:23:31 pm »

I still say "KILL THE LIGHT" is Blister.  I think the "Whoa" was Lyle.  Hopefully, on Monday, all will be revealed.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
8/28: More of the Dumbwaiter
« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2003, 06:44:38 pm »

Quote from: "slink"
Quote from: "Nabubrush drinks (a lot)"
If it weren't for "kill the light" we would have had three strips in a row that were just sequences of black panels. My suspicion is that someone might have commented on this. Isn't it cool, though, that with just the minimal artwork that is in these three strips, they are still especially good?


But, there's been a kill the light in each of the three... From the start...
So, why must someone have mentioned it when he's been doing it from the beginning.

I thought that was unclear when I wrote it - I meant that, had it been three all black-panel comics, there might probably have been someone saying "we're getting ripped off."
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
8/28: More of the Dumbwaiter
« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2003, 07:31:13 pm »

Quote from: "Nabubrush drinks (a lot)"
Quote from: "slink"


But, there's been a kill the light in each of the three... From the start...
So, why must someone have mentioned it when he's been doing it from the beginning.

I thought that was unclear when I wrote it - I meant that, had it been three all black-panel comics, there might probably have been someone saying "we're getting ripped off."


Oh yea, I mean if it had I'd have been sat there wondering whether it was his new job and laziness making him draw, well, blackness and writing some text. Though even that thought probably would have passed me by slightly due to the quality of the writing that's been in it. If it had gone on as total blackness for another fortnight...
Unmessage board of me I know - but apologies if it came out a little terse, I'd just got up after about 3 hours sleep and was rather cranky!! Hadn't even had a cigarette in 10 hours, and that first one is mighty important!
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
8/28: More of the Dumbwaiter
« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2003, 08:37:37 pm »

Quote from: "jldunston"
I still say "KILL THE LIGHT" is Blister.  I think the "Whoa" was Lyle.  Hopefully, on Monday, all will be revealed.


It's not Blister.  I know you think that because it's in all caps, but it wasn't in all caps in the first "In the dumbwaiter" strip.

So where's your Messiah now, beotch?

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
8/28: More of the Dumbwaiter
« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2003, 10:14:28 pm »

Another reason for the kill the light in each one is that I think you might want to have at least one expository frame for a first-time reader. Not only does it give the new reader a character to see but the insistent "kill the light" sort of sets a tone. A series of black panels with dialog would be a lot harder to fall into for someone brand new to the 'wood.

Or the other theories, too. Could be anything.

Everyone can't be in the dumbwaiter! I'm pretty sure Lyle is in there, Beef is obviously in there, Todd is stuttering away in there Vlad is beink there too and I like JLD's theory about Blister. And a bear, probably -
Logged

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
8/28: More of the Dumbwaiter
« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2003, 05:23:27 pm »

I like to think that Blister is incorporeal, and cannot hold the flashlight.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
8/28: More of the Dumbwaiter
« Reply #28 on: September 01, 2003, 05:09:49 am »

Quote from: "Nabubrush drinks (a lot)"
Quote from: "slink"
Quote from: "Nabubrush drinks (a lot)"
If it weren't for "kill the light" we would have had three strips in a row that were just sequences of black panels. My suspicion is that someone might have commented on this. Isn't it cool, though, that with just the minimal artwork that is in these three strips, they are still especially good?


But, there's been a kill the light in each of the three... From the start...
So, why must someone have mentioned it when he's been doing it from the beginning.

I thought that was unclear when I wrote it - I meant that, had it been three all black-panel comics, there might probably have been someone saying "we're getting ripped off."


I think this is a good point.  That is, the unenlightened among us might holler if they we're all black-panels with dialog.  Personally, I think that we be kinda cool.  Because all of Achewood art is minimal, isn't it?  (see my sig).  That's kind of the beauty of Achewood -- the variety and depth of emotion Onstad's able to convey with drawings that are not very detailed.

And what does Onstad use as a vehicle?  Eyebrows.  90% of what changes from panel to panel is eyebrows.  Two tiny little lines.  Yet if they're just exactly right we instantly understand's Beef's humiliation or Ray's paternal amusement.  Lyle can say "Fuck You, I'm gettin' drunk" with just those two little marks.

It's a beautiful thing.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up