Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Barely passed Oregon driver's test. Lots of rules about Yielding to the Distraught and slow-moving salmon trucks on one-way switchbacks.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Die Bloggen des Novembers  (Read 13526 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Beatrice

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 280
    • View Profile
Die Bloggen des Novembers
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2005, 07:47:02 pm »

Quote from: "Paisley"
So, Beef goes to a yarn store.

I thought cats liked yarn.


THAT IS THE JOKE! HAR!

evan

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 154
    • View Profile
    • http://www.i-got-problems.com
Die Bloggen des Novembers
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2005, 09:33:04 pm »

Quote
Uh huh so it seems a thing, based on my research, is that younger ladies are all into knitting now. It is like sort of a backlash or something, after all that 80s and 90s stuff where a lady had to prove that she was also a man.

I have also noticed this.
Logged

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Die Bloggen des Novembers
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2005, 02:55:55 am »

Quote from: "Roast Beef"
a lot of books and magazines with really beautiful young models on the cover, but they were wearin' just the dowdiest old knitted ponchos and shawls you would not believe.  It was like, if you wanted to have a picture of a beautiful girl looking halfway believable, the first thing you would do would be to take off the dowdy shawl and go "oh, sorry, man why did I even think that was believable. Because it was not."

I've seen this book and had the exact same thought as Beef.  No way would these hot girls be wearing these old lady with a sassy foot sweaters.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Mantonio

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 423
    • View Profile
Die Bloggen des Novembers
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2005, 03:18:37 am »

Quote from: "pmcd9"
Quote from: "Roast Beef"
a lot of books and magazines with really beautiful young models on the cover, but they were wearin' just the dowdiest old knitted ponchos and shawls you would not believe.  It was like, if you wanted to have a picture of a beautiful girl looking halfway believable, the first thing you would do would be to take off the dowdy shawl and go "oh, sorry, man why did I even think that was believable. Because it was not."

I've seen this book and had the exact same thought as Beef.  No way would these hot girls be wearing these old lady with a sassy foot sweaters.

~Paul


Remember Harriet Miers?*

*not really her
Logged

antioch

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 185
  • fuggedaboudit!
    • View Profile
    • Facehugger Records
Die Bloggen des Novembers
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2005, 05:27:42 am »

Sass foot. I have never seen this disability, but what an awesome term. And Beef explains it like he's terrified but also completely rapt over it. I was laughing. Sass foot.
Logged
I am older now.

LCB

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 113
  • ...when you get the blues in the night
    • View Profile
Die Bloggen des Novembers
« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2005, 08:03:58 am »

Beef's post about the Yarn Store (much like the Bead Store strip) is so true because a lot of niche hobby shops - especially the small ones tucked away in aging strip malls and shopping plazas - tend to have this atmosphere of quiet boredom, a muffled quality about them. And it's not just beads and yarn, I know of shops devoted to everything from models (cars, boats, aircraft, trains, etc) and art supples where this atmosphere prevades.

I have been in the awkward position of visiting The Bead/Yarn Store myself, trying to pass the time by leafing through the hobby-specific publications available and whatnot. In one case, it was a shop that sold people's homemade arts and crafts, located in a mall between an nail salon and a long empty, blacked out storefront with the big FOR LEASE signs on the windows. All sorts of decorative knickknacks, the sort of thing you buy for your grandmother and she'll think it's just SO darling. I found myself perusing sewing magazines, a flimsy trade paperback all about the making of quaint holiday decorations out of stuff like pinecones, old ribbons, buttons, lace, etc. At one point I checked my watch to see how long it had been since we entered. It had been a half-hour when it felt like an hour-plus.

On the bright side, we did pick up a jar of homemade root-beer candy.
Logged
Which way to the vomitorium, centurion?

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
Die Bloggen des Novembers
« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2005, 03:09:28 pm »

Quote from: "LCB"
And it's not just beads and yarn, I know of shops devoted to everything from models (cars, boats, aircraft, trains, etc) and art supples where this atmosphere prevades.


I live above a store that sells only model cars.  Every day, I walk past it and the old man who owns it just sits there staring out at me, staring out at the world who does not understand his passion.  Someday I will buy a tiny car from him.
Logged
goose means greedy

V-Adore

  • Guest
Die Bloggen des Novembers
« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2005, 04:35:05 pm »

Quote from: "andalucia"
Quote from: "LCB"
And it's not just beads and yarn, I know of shops devoted to everything from models (cars, boats, aircraft, trains, etc) and art supples where this atmosphere prevades.


I live above a store that sells only model cars.  Every day, I walk past it and the old man who owns it just sits there staring out at me, staring out at the world who does not understand his passion.  Someday I will buy a tiny car from him.

I love stores like this. Every time I go home, I have to stop by the local independent hobby shop, which has a truly majestic selection of very, very old roleplaying sourcebooks that have clearly been waiting for a purchaser for well over a decade. (Often I buy them. I think of it as charity, although also "hey, holy crap, is that Traveller?! SCORE.")

I spent a lot of time as a kid in the model store with my dad, so I guess I just have a natural attraction to narrow-aisled, cluttery stores staffed by old people and full of aging merchandise waiting for its soulmate.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Die Bloggen des Novembers
« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2005, 04:44:49 pm »

Quote from: "V-Adore"
Quote from: "andalucia"
Quote from: "LCB"
And it's not just beads and yarn, I know of shops devoted to everything from models (cars, boats, aircraft, trains, etc) and art supples where this atmosphere prevades.


I live above a store that sells only model cars.  Every day, I walk past it and the old man who owns it just sits there staring out at me, staring out at the world who does not understand his passion.  Someday I will buy a tiny car from him.

I love stores like this. Every time I go home, I have to stop by the local independent hobby shop, which has a truly majestic selection of very, very old roleplaying sourcebooks that have clearly been waiting for a purchaser for well over a decade. (Often I buy them. I think of it as charity, although also "hey, holy crap, is that Traveller?! SCORE.")


Hey, I think Ihave some Traveller stuff around here somewhere.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Die Bloggen des Novembers
« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2005, 03:20:00 am »

Quote from: "andalucia"
I live above a store that sells only model cars.  Every day, I walk past it and the old man who owns it just sits there staring out at me, staring out at the world who does not understand his passion.  Someday I will buy a tiny car from him.

Have you been reading Palookaville lately by any chance?

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Emmoh

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 120
    • View Profile
    • Shameless
Die Bloggen des Novembers
« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2005, 09:47:36 am »

Quote from: "Pat"
I, feeling some sense of interim duty, took up her post. For the better part of half an hour I stood and described the leaden, unpleasant qualities of the Soulsa product, and encouraged customers to look elsewhere for their salsa needs.


Outstanding.

V-Adore

  • Guest
Die Bloggen des Novembers
« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2005, 04:40:15 pm »

Now I want some imported gummi Shinto gates. Also, this one wins:

Quote from: "Pat the dick"
Amy's Organic One-Bean Soup (finally, a company that isn't trying to appeal to my baser instincts with an overwhelming variety of beans)

What possible base instincts could be appealed to merely by bean variety? I'm deeply confused.
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Die Bloggen des Novembers
« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2005, 05:30:37 pm »

Quote from: "V-Adore"

What possible base instincts could be appealed to merely by bean variety?


I've known people like this.  God forbid they risk getting any sensual pleasure whatsover out of their food.   Even indulging in more than one kind of bean at a time might cross the line.  Perfect.

But I want the gummi Shinto gates too!
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Online Online
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Die Bloggen des Novembers
« Reply #28 on: November 13, 2005, 07:21:32 pm »

There's a definite lack of gummi religious iconography in my life as well. Is this a real store?

Franky learned how to grow feathers. I want to learn that. Is there a book I can read or a community college class or something?
Logged

Factitious

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 11
    • View Profile
Die Bloggen des Novembers
« Reply #29 on: November 14, 2005, 01:04:36 am »

It's a real store, right down to the disturbing animatronic display, but it's not all as vegan-focused as Pat's blog makes it sound.

I don't remember seeing many free-sample tables there, but Onstad has mentioned them before, so I guess Mollie Stone's just has more of that these days. They have a pretty nice cheese selection too.
Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up