Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Did you know...
That Word Front, the kind host of TOUAMB.com, offers high quality t-shirts for sale?

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Comicbook dorkery  (Read 4444 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Skillator

  • Guest
Comicbook dorkery
« on: November 03, 2005, 08:50:06 pm »

I looked at the random question post and thought,
"gee... comicbooks need their own thread"
So here it is.
If you need to catch up on Infinite Crisis or Crisis on Infinite Earths or ANYTHING, this is the site for you:

http://www.moviepoopshoot.com/comics101/archives.html

This guy is NEVER wrong. He's truly amazing and I fully want him to make millions and millions of dollars for doing what he does. So please, by all means, read his articles and learn everything you can about anything comics.

Also, I was an Only Marvel Kid once too. Then Quesada took over... EUCH...
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Comicbook dorkery
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2005, 08:55:58 pm »

I remember being mocked in middle school because all the cool kids read Image. But I could never get into them. In fact to this day the Image book I've ever owned is Liberty Meadows.
Logged

Ben-San

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 164
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1259
  • Two-Fisted Detective
    • View Profile
Comicbook dorkery
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2005, 09:17:37 pm »

Doesn't this belong in Arts & Entertainment?

Image mainly published sheer crap during the time they were popular, but a few good things have come out of there since then, frequently when Rob Liefeld told Alan Moore "please do anything you want with my characters and I will publish it for you".
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Comicbook dorkery
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2005, 09:32:34 pm »

I think it was the lure of MacFarlane plus just the fact that people assumed new=cool what with Marvel and DC being all old and stodgy. But I never really understood the appeal of the MacFarlane name. He's how we ended up with a red & black Spider-Man not to mention the cash-register-jaw version of Venom.
Logged

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Comicbook dorkery
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2005, 08:37:56 am »

I have a few Image books - mainly the Bendis ones. Apart from that...
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

Skillator

  • Guest
Comicbook dorkery
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2005, 11:12:58 pm »

I have a rad collection of comics but I conveniently dodge the Image.
I did however love Bastard Samurai immensely. It is so pretty and it is samurai shit.
Logged

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Comicbook dorkery
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2005, 01:54:59 am »

I've got pretty much everything Image put out for the first year or so they were in existance.  Almost all of it is shite.

I read a little bit of DC back in the day, I read a little bit of everything more or less, but I would say I am (was) a Marvel only guy.  I always found DC to be hella lame.  Almost as lame as saying hella lame.

Before Marvel, when I was a little kid, I was heavily into Archie and Richie Rich.  I found my way to Marvel via Howard the Duck of all places.

Image, along with the total ruin of Marvel (Peter Parker is a clone, the return of his dead parents, Maximum Carnage, etc.) pretty much ruined it for me.

I quit collecting all together for a while.

Then at about the same time I discovered Daniel Clowes, Peter Bagge (and some others) and Valiant comics.  The alternatives were something new to me.  I have always liked underground comics, but never really got into them until I started reading about Buddy Bradley.  He's one fucked up dude, and I can sure relate to him.  But I also fell in love with the Valiant universe.  I collected virtually every comic they published.  They were all intertwined so you just had to really.  But all the characters were well written and the stories were top notch and the continuity was flawless.  I felt renewed.  These are some of the best comics ever, in my opinion, topped only by my beloved silver age Marvels.  Of course it couldn't last.  The publisher, who was totally dedicated to the books, wrote a monthly editorial ala Stan Lee's soapbox where without fail he would promise to never sell out and allow his creations to be compromised by some corporate power.  But that's exactly what he did.  It went to shit instantly.  

Pete Bagge and Daniel Clowes both seem too busy to write comics anymore so I don't read much comics these days.  Might have to dig out my old Archie comics.  Archie is good.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Skillator

  • Guest
Comicbook dorkery
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2005, 01:43:17 am »

Here's the thing: until you've made a conscious effort to try DC, you have no idea what you are missing.
I'm not saying buy Superman or Batman or JLA. That's a large pill you're trying to swallow all at once. Try Outsiders, try Teen Titans (ok maybe try Batman). You might want to wait until this Infinite Crisis blows over, but if you are not reading at least on DC title, you are seriously missing out.
They have hired some stellar writers and their artists are far more hit than miss, and they aren't afraid to try something new, while KEEPING CONTINUITY (for the most part).

Can anyone give me a reason to get back into Marvel right now. I'm really trying but I cannot do it.

-Also: Is any o' y'all reading the current Dark hoss Conan by Kurt Busiek? That is some serious good shit.
Logged

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Comicbook dorkery
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2005, 02:28:40 am »

Wow, in my three years behind the counter at the comic book store, Image was considered, by all who I respected opinion wise, to be mostly garbage - mostly drawings of women with big boobies and violence, with no substance.  There were a few exceptions to the rule, but generally...

The titles I liked came from Helix, Vertigo & Darkhoss (before the merger/buy outs), as well as Slave Labour, Kitchen Sink and Top Shelf.  Since I'm into mostly indi-comics, I have to deal with the horrible frustration of waiting months or even years for the next issue of a comic to come out.  Whatever happened to Dork, Lenore, Sock Monkey or Peanut Butter and Jeremy?  Sigh.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Comicbook dorkery
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2005, 03:13:41 am »

Quote from: "side_show"
Whatever happened to Dork, Lenore, Sock Monkey or Peanut Butter and Jeremy?  Sigh.

Trailer Trash. Milk and Cheese, etc...

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Moderator
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
Comicbook dorkery
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2005, 03:25:41 am »

I shit on continuity.
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Comicbook dorkery
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2005, 03:32:55 am »

Quote from: "Bozack"
I shit on continuity.

Back in the old days things had to make sense.  But these kids today, they just don't care.

Love you Bozak, post that picture.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Comicbook dorkery
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2005, 04:12:51 am »

Anybody else remember First Comics, especially Grim Jack or The Badger.  

Also, how about some love for those Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers?
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Ben-San

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 164
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1259
  • Two-Fisted Detective
    • View Profile
Comicbook dorkery
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2005, 09:21:02 pm »

Quote from: "pmcd9"
Back in the old days things had to make sense.  But these kids today, they just don't care.


Logged

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Moderator
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
Comicbook dorkery
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2005, 08:10:59 am »

I just totally gave up on continuity. I've just accepted that in The New Avengers Spiderman can be punching somebody, while in the House of M Spiderman, he's the Green Goblin, or in the House of M, he's just beating other people up. If I can suspend my belief to the point where I believe a talking chimp is a talented detective, I'm pretty sure I can make up for the Fantastic Four having different origins in Ultimate Fantastic Four and the regular variety.
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up