On a similar note, is Watchmen worth it? I've avoided it until now because although I've heard it's really good I don't know if I want to read the book thats credited with giving then world depressive nihilistic heroes. I've never been huge on the super hero genre in the first place, but thats got more to do with the fact that the stories never end and I like a contained universe, which Watchmen has.
Watchmen is very much worth it. The disastrous effect it had on the industry was that it sold very well, and then the industry decided this meant that people would buy a lot of comics if they were depressing and not that people would buy a lot of comics if they were well-written.
I think what he's doing here, is running with a concept that has already worked for him. In The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, he took literary characters and brought them into a unique (and violent) story and it was bloody awesome.
He's done this a number of times, really. The key is that normally it's in a way people don't notice because it happens all the time. Someone writing in comic books will almost certainly spend a lot of time working with other people's characters, and sometimes reinvent them. Watchmen was originally written as an interpretation of Charlton Comics' characters years after their original adventures. Marvelman/Miracleman re-examined a Silver Age character through the lens of Greek mythology. In Tom Strong/Terra Occulta/Terrific Tales, he took this back further, to characters from the time when pulp action was first transitioning into comic books who had entered the public domain. Looking at it this way, Lost Girls and League of Extraordinary Gentlemen are just extensions of usual comics practice.
To jerk off to.
This is honestly the intended level on which Lost Girls worked the least for me. It was an interesting story and one that was about sex to a large degree, but I didn't find it especially sexy. YMMV, though.
How easy is this thing to track down?
It ran serially in a magazine, and the extant chapters have been reprinted, but I believe it is currently out of print. A completed ten-issue series is intended to be debuted at the 2006 San Diego Comicon, but one should bear in mind that this was also planned for the 2005 Comicon, and before that there was a "2003-2004" intended release date. It is also possible by means of The Internet to acquire scans of the released chapters illegally.