Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Did you know...
that the best way to sound like a noob here is to ask what the Tiny Cans of Dr. Pepper are about?

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: 11/07/05 -- parkour  (Read 8682 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
11/07/05 -- parkour
« Reply #30 on: November 09, 2005, 03:22:52 am »

Quote from: "Boring K"
I'd heard of parkour before.  I think it sounds cool.

I think what you meant to say is it sounds assinine.  I'm ashamed of Teodor a little bit actually.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
11/07/05 -- parkour
« Reply #31 on: November 09, 2005, 05:00:44 am »

My cousin used to (when he was like 16 or younger) do this thing called--and I don't know if it was actually called this, it just makes sense to--freestyle walking.  I think his shoes had little plastic thingies on the soles, and he would slide down rails and do all sorts of crazy shit.  The kind of things kids do with skateboards, you know.  I thought it was the dumbest thing ever, but he loved it.  This seems a lot like that...?  Also something you'd expect from teenagers.  So yes, shame on you, Teodor.

fuck*ng teenagers.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

LCB

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 113
  • ...when you get the blues in the night
    • View Profile
11/07/05 -- parkour
« Reply #32 on: November 09, 2005, 05:17:16 am »

I can see Teodor getting into something trendy, just not something like Parkour.
Logged
Which way to the vomitorium, centurion?

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
11/07/05 -- parkour
« Reply #33 on: November 09, 2005, 05:31:52 am »

Yeah, well, back in the day my friends and I used to dose and then we'd walk around and find stuff and climb on it and jump around and do weird crap.   But we didn't have a special name for it.

Wait, we did.  We called it tripping.

But you didn't have to wear special shoes.  Although you could if you wanted to.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

arkabee

  • VIP
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 153
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1280
  • i still hate the new forum software.
    • View Profile
11/07/05 -- parkour
« Reply #34 on: November 09, 2005, 06:47:21 am »

i once ran to an object, climbed over it, and then ran away.

i also once fell into a bush, screaming, in order to disconcert high school students touring a college campus.

apparently i should start a cult, i could make millions.
Logged
"God forbid I'd ever be separated from my Duran Duran for a single minute!"
-August West
"Maybe Hanson or the Jonas Brothers might finally lose their shit one day."
-Nabubrush

Skillator

  • Guest
11/07/05 -- parkour
« Reply #35 on: November 09, 2005, 07:20:06 pm »

Dudes!
Parkour is asinine but so what!?
Rather than walking around trying to avoid people's gazes, a parkour dude is looking at shit that he can do flips on!
It is more than your dad's jogging. It is EXTREME jogging. Jogging where at any moment you could make a mistake that breaks you femur! That is so fuck*ng cool. Plus have you seen the picture where parkour man is jumping over a stadium? A STADIUM?!

http://www.urbanfreeflow.com/urban_graffiti/jumpbritain/images/h4_mm_gap.jpg

I think Téodor is onto something here. I back that dude up.
Logged

JorgeFabregas

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 93
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1227
  • I was impressed.
    • View Profile
11/07/05 -- parkour
« Reply #36 on: November 09, 2005, 07:53:36 pm »

A lot of those things are impressive athletic achievments. However, to pawn a style of running off as a philosophy is ridiculous. Did you read the philosophy section? "Parkour is similar to the yin and the yang in that it contains two basic selections (fluid vs. hard movements)" or whatever it says...that's an ultra-pretentious way of saying that Parkour requires strength, agility, and finesse. The reason it's stated the first way and not the latter is that virtually all sports require strength, agility, and finesse.
Logged
And we know who we should love. But we're never certain how.

aparrish

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 115
    • View Profile
    • http://myth.livejournal.com/
11/07/05 -- parkour
« Reply #37 on: November 09, 2005, 10:27:17 pm »

Quote from: "CortJstr"
Good lord people will latch on to anything, won't they? Remember "flash mobs" and "culture jamming"? No? That's because they were dumb as hell.


Hey now!  I met my wife at a flash mob!  We put up wedding invitations around town, which read: "Our wedding has a posse."
Logged

Ben-San

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 164
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1259
  • Two-Fisted Detective
    • View Profile
11/07/05 -- parkour
« Reply #38 on: November 09, 2005, 10:39:31 pm »

I think parkour/free running/whatever you call it sounds like a pretty awesome hobby to have even if the philosophy is bull. It will be especially useful in case of zombie apocalypse.
Logged

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
11/07/05 -- parkour
« Reply #39 on: November 10, 2005, 12:42:09 am »

I think I would have had a lot of fun doing the flash mob thing... but by the time I'd heard of them, they'd already stopped doing them.

Plus, I live in southeast Virginia, which as has been noted, isn't the epicenter of the nation's social activity.
Logged

ndpatel

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 5
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 132
    • View Profile
    • http://www.sixtyeights.com
11/07/05 -- parkour
« Reply #40 on: November 10, 2005, 12:44:27 am »

Quote from: "JorgeFabregas"
The reason it's stated the first way and not the latter is that virtually all sports require strength, agility, and finesse.


also because it's probably not a sport, since it would be basically impossible to compete at running around like a god-damn fool.
Logged

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
11/07/05 -- parkour
« Reply #41 on: November 10, 2005, 07:25:09 am »

Quote from: "ndpatel"
also because it's probably not a sport, since it would be basically impossible to compete at running around like a god-damn fool.


Have you never heard of Calvinball?
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!

ndpatel

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 5
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 132
    • View Profile
    • http://www.sixtyeights.com
11/07/05 -- parkour
« Reply #42 on: November 10, 2005, 10:32:00 am »



OH NO YOU DI'INT
Logged

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
11/07/05 -- parkour
« Reply #43 on: November 10, 2005, 11:04:23 am »

Damnit I'm sure we've talked about this.
Just wish I could find where.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up