Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Trains are saying "hello".  All this time, we just snub them.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: August 28th Variety Hour  (Read 7218 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

beverly

  • Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 48
    • View Profile
August 28th Variety Hour
« on: August 29, 2003, 07:03:21 am »

Is he losing interest?  That was posted on drew's website a few days ago.  Maybe he needs submissions?

Edit: wrong date I MA RTEARD
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
August 28th Variety Hour
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2003, 08:16:57 am »

Yeah, let's hear it for recycled stale content:
http://www.toothpastefordinner.com/boston-jackson.jpg

V-Adore

  • Guest
August 28th Variety Hour
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2003, 06:14:00 pm »

I don't really get the humor in any of this at all. Am I stupid?
Logged

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
August 28th Variety Hour
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2003, 06:43:17 pm »

Quote from: "V-Adore"
I don't really get the humor in any of this at all. Am I stupid?


Well, we got a strip on the same day now, so what does it matter...
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
August 28th Variety Hour
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2003, 08:03:44 pm »

Yeah, I also forgot there was a variety hour until I saw the thread here.

Maybe he should just let it die.  It's obviously not a priority or something that he's putting any thought into anymore.  It just detracts from an otherwise excellent site.

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
August 28th Variety Hour
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2003, 08:32:22 pm »

Although I agree with Jough, I'm still terrified to post an opinion about it because Onstad's intellectual bodyguards still occasionally rise up to quash dissenters even on this site.

Fuck it. Here I go:

The "Variety Hour" sucked six kinds of porcine ass from the first installment. Now it appears to be recycled material. It's his bandwidth, so if he wants to post a picture of his genitals with a face drawn on with a sharpie, god bless him. I clicked on the link and I'm the worse for it.

Like Jough, I mercifully forgot about the Non-Achewood Non-Variety moment of unfunniness until reminded by this thread, and like an idiot, I went there.

The comics have improved a ton since the "war of online agression", also known as "the recent unpleasantness".  I think that improvement is 6 kinds of awesome and kisses no fewer than six parts of six kinds of SI Swimsuit model. Six times.

Let the flaming of my miserably uninformed opinion begin.
Logged

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
August 28th Variety Hour
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2003, 12:34:15 am »

It's funny - yeah, the variety hour has never, in my opinion, been worth the time it takes to read it. However, the regular comic, coupled with Ray's Place, makes this better than any other online comic I read. By far. The only one that comes close is WiGU, and that's because I get the email from Jeff which is basically bonus humor. I would pay $10 or $20 a month for all the Achewood-related goodness, and here I am getting the whole shebang for free + the $20 or whatever I spent for a year's worth of Serializer. I guess I'm saying that if Onstad wants to put out the VH, what the hell. I'll still read it hoping for gold in them thar hills, and maybe, just maybe, the VH is an integral part of what is making the rest of it so good.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
August 28th Variety Hour
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2003, 12:40:37 am »

There's more to it today - Chris posted an old and truly unfunny strip.

Wow.

I swear he's making it lame on purpose.  Like David Lynch and "Twin Peaks."

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
August 28th Variety Hour
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2003, 12:45:12 am »

It's hard to believe that he is responsible for that strip - it's like anti-funny.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
August 28th Variety Hour
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2003, 01:17:15 am »

Quote from: "jough"
Wow.

I swear he's making it lame on purpose.  Like David Lynch and "Twin Peaks."


I'm beginning to think you're right, Jough.  Starting to get a certain Kaufman-esque vibe off the variety hour.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

V-Adore

  • Guest
August 28th Variety Hour
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2003, 01:55:07 am »

Yeah, the Rainier Beer strip just confuses the heck out of me. Is the joke that the guy likes his beer? Is the joke that the beer talks? Sings? Is there a joke? Me no comprende.
Logged

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
August 28th Variety Hour
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2003, 02:01:02 am »

Interesting. Or maybe Nabubrush is right and there is some kind of relationship between the non-succulent suckiness of the VH and the incredible awesomeness of Achewood and Ray's Place. Maybe if he stopped with the VH the awesomeness would start sliding down until the needle pegs SUCKS and sticks there, taunting us like the warped middle finger of the failed middleaged realtor with the dark roots and cheap, apparently non-permanent plastic surgery we just cut off in traffic.

It's a deal with Satan, I say! Satan promised Onstad online comic success and acclaim, but in return, he must promise not only his soul and his rectal cherry in hell but also that Satan can post his own writing once a week.

Or something.

That's all I was thinking.
Logged

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
August 28th Variety Hour
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2003, 02:02:10 am »

Quote from: "jough"

I swear he's making it lame on purpose.  Like David Lynch and "Twin Peaks."


I rekcon he's trying to make us all regret being mean to him. Showing us what could have been. That's why he took thr strips down to 3 a week for a while, just to make us pay!
Now we must never doubt him, even with the VH going as is...
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
August 28th Variety Hour
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2003, 03:52:19 am »

Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
Interesting. Or maybe Nabubrush is right and there is some kind of relationship between the non-succulent suckiness of the VH and the incredible awesomeness of Achewood and Ray's Place. Maybe if he stopped with the VH the awesomeness would start sliding down until the needle pegs SUCKS and sticks there, taunting us like the warped middle finger of the failed middleaged realtor with the dark roots and cheap, apparently non-permanent plastic surgery we just cut off in traffic.

It's a deal with Satan, I say! Satan promised Onstad online comic success and acclaim, but in return, he must promise not only his soul and his rectal cherry in hell but also that Satan can post his own writing once a week.

Or something.

That's all I was thinking.


It's the Portrait of Dorian Gray!
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
August 28th Variety Hour
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2003, 04:35:25 am »

Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
...rectal cherry...


Bee. Eee. Ay. YOU-tif-ul.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up