Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood If Twain were alive today, he would guffaw despite his benevolent befuddlement.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Crying while eating.  (Read 7271 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Crying while eating.
« on: November 14, 2005, 04:11:56 am »

Well, even more pitiful than the fact that so many others have done it, is the fact that I've done it myself.  Enjoy.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
Crying while eating.
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2005, 04:46:33 am »

You, uh, know this was for a viral media contest, right?
Logged
goose means greedy

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Crying while eating.
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2005, 05:02:23 am »

Quote from: "andalucia"
You, uh, know this was for a viral media contest, right?


I have no clue what a viral media contest is, can you explain?  Is this site an ad for something then?  My SO and I only just found it seconds before I posted the link, and well, since we don't have Quicktime, we can't watch the actual videos, but I found the pictures and descriptions entertaining - is there a comercial for the In-and-Out at the end?  Have I been duped, just like I complained about here?  If so, well, I suck.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Crying while eating.
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2005, 05:58:58 am »

Quote from: "andalucia"
You, uh, know this was for a viral media contest, right?


Please take this as an utterly honest and sincere question and not in the least bit snarky:  

Why does it matter?

As a consumer of the media created, why should I care that there is a commercial purpose behind it?  Since virtually all of the media I consume is commerically supported in some fashion, why is this commercial support mechanism objectionable?

As a theoretical producer of such media, why do I care?  Unless there's something about the particular commercial entity that's objectionable, why is it wrong to have a commercial patron?  I can understand an artist having qualms about receiving support from BigOil'N'Tobacco'N'Slaves, Inc.  But absent a specific complaint about your business sponsor, what's wrong with accepting money from a corporate patron?
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Crying while eating.
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2005, 06:58:50 am »

Man this viral marketing thing has gone freaking weird. I was into a couple of those ARGs a couple of years ago and I enjoy interesting sites even when they have a commercial basis but some of this 'marketing' is just way too opaque for me, I keep feeling like people are forgetting that there should be some mention of a product involved in marketing.
Then again if people are making weird sites and totally failing to tell me about their product I guess I shouldn't complain, it just feels like they don't understand what they were meant to be doing and increasing the number of weird and stupid sites on the internet.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
Crying while eating.
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2005, 09:19:51 am »

Is this a viral media thing? There...there aren't any products.
The "lonely in a crowded room" one is great. I swear to God, I'm going to do that at work tomorrow. Just standing behind my little clerk desk, smiling while the tears run down my cheeks, just hoping that I can PUT a BOOK in the CUSTOMERS HAND.
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Crying while eating.
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2005, 01:56:06 pm »

It was viral marketing for its own sake. The author (who writes Explainer for Slate) wrote a column about it after he realized he'd definitely lost: http://www.slate.com/id/2121384/
Logged

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Crying while eating.
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2005, 03:16:00 pm »

Oh, so the site was made as if it would be used to market something, but not actually used to do so?  I don't think that effects my enjoyment of the site to know that.  I suppose it's like enjoying an ad art poster - the product, if there is any, is so disconnected from the thing I am viewing that I don't even consider it advertising anymore.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

Skillator

  • Guest
Crying while eating.
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2005, 09:24:09 pm »

What he's eating: Brie cheese on a hot dog

Crying because: He thought it was old mayo
Logged

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Crying while eating.
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2005, 09:47:09 pm »

Quote from: "Skillator"
What he's eating: Brie cheese on a hot dog

Crying because: He thought it was old mayo

That's brie cheese on a hot dog bun you fool! Brie cheese on a hot dog is awesome.

Moment of shame: I've only actually eaten brie in quesadilla form
Logged

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Crying while eating.
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2005, 11:41:39 pm »

Quote from: "CortJstr"
Quote from: "Skillator"
What he's eating: Brie cheese on a hot dog

Crying because: He thought it was old mayo

That's brie cheese on a hot dog bun you fool! Brie cheese on a hot dog is awesome.


Quote from: "CortJstr"

Moment of shame: I've only actually eaten brie in quesadilla form


That's the kind of low culinary shenanigan I would have expected from Choopernickel.

Sounds foul. How was it? And have you tried that with limburger yet?
Logged

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Crying while eating.
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2005, 12:33:49 am »

Quote from: "AugustWest"
I can understand an artist having qualms about receiving support from BigOil'N'Tobacco'N'Slaves, Inc.

You know I tried to take the high road, but i'm sorry, BigOil'N'Tobacco'N'Slaves, Inc. make the best god dammed burgers ever.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Crying while eating.
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2005, 12:55:40 am »

Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
Quote from: "CortJstr"

Moment of shame: I've only actually eaten brie in quesadilla form


That's the kind of low culinary shenanigan I would have expected from Choopernickel.

Sounds foul. How was it? And have you tried that with limburger yet?

Quite good. The bar at Landsdowne in Leesburg used to make a crab and brie quesadilla that was much better than it sounds. The only reason I ever ordered it the first time was because I'd never had brie before.
Logged

arkabee

  • VIP
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 153
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1280
  • i still hate the new forum software.
    • View Profile
Crying while eating.
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2005, 04:47:33 pm »

i really wish i was better at separating the seething hatred i have for marketeers from the wishy-washy ambivilance leaning towards negatives i feel towards multi-nationals.

i mean, if you want to manufacture and sell a piece of, well, something, hoo-rah for you.

but why are you paying someone to subtly manipulate my emotions, my psyche, my philosophy, my lifestyle, my body in an effort to make so i don't even think about buying your product, i just buy it.

one day, when i am king, i will brainwash the marketeers such that they feel it is right and good to eat shit.
Logged
"God forbid I'd ever be separated from my Duran Duran for a single minute!"
-August West
"Maybe Hanson or the Jonas Brothers might finally lose their shit one day."
-Nabubrush

Beatrice

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 280
    • View Profile
Crying while eating.
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2005, 08:08:49 pm »

Bozack, when you get into town let's make one of these.  I can't see the videos either, but I bet they're hilarious.  Are you coming for thanksgiving?  or not until christmas?
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up