Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

TOUAMB: Debating the decline and fall of Chris Onstad since 2003.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Winnipeg in the winter wonderland  (Read 4289 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Winnipeg in the winter wonderland
« on: November 16, 2005, 05:41:46 pm »

We just had a huge snow storm, which was also the first storm of the year, with over 13 inches of snow.  The whole world is at a stand still.  It's beautiful though, and in spite of all the complaining that other people are doing (on the news, not to me), it was so wonderful to snuggle under the covers with the SO, make the decision to no even venture out, stay in, later to bake cookies, eventually to go out into the post-storm snow.  I have no complaints really.

Before the storm, there's a sort of excitement.  Will it really hit?  Was the weather guy right?  You can feel an electricity in the air.  Then you go to bed, and in the morning, you open the curtains, and there it is: SNOW!  It was still seriously storming out when I woke up yesterday at the time both the SO and I are supposed to head out for work.  I glanced out the window, knew what I was seeing, and just snuggled back into bed to sleep.

For those of you who don't know snow, or snow in large amounts, there is a reason it's called a blanket of snow:  Everything is muffled.  The traffic sounds, the wind in the trees, all becomes almost silent.  It's sort of magical.

Looking out my window during the day, I saw 3 SUV's and a large moving truck all get stuck in the snow on my street at different points yesterday.  After getting unstuck, it seems that everyone gets to about the half way point of my street, then something happened and the vehicle has to drive backward all the way back to where they came from.  Stuck car?  Felled tree?  Huge snow drift?  I'll never know, but this funny scene happened over and over again yesterday.  I thought "Look at all those poor bastards."  You gotta' wonder why people were trying so hard to go out into the storm.  Everyone had a pretty valid excuse to stay in.  The 7000 student college was closed, most schools were only requiring voluntary attendance.  The radio said over 100 city transit buses were stuck at one point or other in the snow yesterday, that wait times for buses was over 1 hour!

Funny fact: if you move into your first house, you probably won't own a snow shovel, and the importance of this fact will only be made clear to you when you are standing in a snow drift that is higher than your knee, and it infront of your door.  

We went out to buy shovels last night, after the storm, but before any streets were cleared, and the streets were dead like it was the end of the world.  My SO grew up on a farm and had no trouble getting out of the street, even without a shovel, or navigating the skating-rink-like roads.  Most shops were totally dark having never opened or having given up and closed.  We were annoyed to see mostly Money Marts and Payday Loan places alight.  Some roads were so shiny with ice that it looked like driving on mirrors.  We got to the first hardware store, and the shovel isle - the whole isle of about 20 ft - was bare and empty, except for kiddy shovels.  The next store, the parking lot was more or less empty, but the shovel isle was swarming with people.  We got our shovels and were on our way.
 
The 24 hour Burger King closed down as we pulled up to the drive thru - we went to a mom and pop place instead.  Entire strip malls were dark with parking lots impassible from snow.  Cars stuck in places, scattered like toys dropped by a careless toddler.  It was really sort of cool and like another century.  So many businesses, usually open 'til late or for 24 hours were totally dark at 5 pm.  

The SO and I were in total love bliss, we didn't really encounter many grumpy people, or let them penatrate our happy aura.  We were in our own world of making do and making the best of it.  One guy asked us very sarcastically how we liked the snow, and I happily exclaimed - "It's great!  We got the whole day off!"  Even the shoveling was sort of fun.  It was dark, the stars were out, the moon was bright, the snow came up in chunky blocks.

I have to be at work tonight for 4pm, and what would usually take about 30 minutes, according to the radio, will likely take 2 hours, so maybe I'll  have some complaining to do then!
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Winnipeg in the winter wonderland
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2005, 06:17:32 pm »

It's 75 degrees out here today.  I am wearing a t-shirt and short ##### in the middle of November.

It's like, 80 in my room.

Please send us some of your cold air from the North.  We could use it.  I don't want to be sweating my ass off on Thanksgiving (the real one, not your fake Canadian one).

Thank you.

V-Adore

  • Guest
Winnipeg in the winter wonderland
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2005, 06:19:17 pm »

I am looking forward to snow like whoa. It's about damn time, and I'm sure getting sick of autumn rain. Let's just have a real cold season already.
Logged

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Winnipeg in the winter wonderland
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2005, 07:48:37 pm »

It's pretty fuck*ng cold here, and I got lightly snowed on on my way home from work, but... Nope. Nothing real yet.
We nearly got snowed in the year before last, and the last actual snowing in was about 5 years ago, so who knows, but then it is supposed to be a damn cold winter.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

AlohaDawg

  • Moderator
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Winnipeg in the winter wonderland
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2005, 08:06:10 pm »

Quote from: "V-Adore"
I am looking forward to snow like whoa. It's about damn time, and I'm sure getting sick of autumn rain. Let's just have a real cold season already.


All we get for 'winter' here is nights in the 60's and daily rain showers. Still gets up in the 80s every day.
Logged

V-Adore

  • Guest
Winnipeg in the winter wonderland
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2005, 09:15:42 pm »

Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
Quote from: "V-Adore"
I am looking forward to snow like whoa. It's about damn time, and I'm sure getting sick of autumn rain. Let's just have a real cold season already.


All we get for 'winter' here is nights in the 60's and daily rain showers. Still gets up in the 80s every day.

Well, whatever works for you, I guess. Me, I'll take snow.
Logged

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Winnipeg in the winter wonderland
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2005, 09:22:45 pm »

Fuck the snow.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

V-Adore

  • Guest
Winnipeg in the winter wonderland
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2005, 09:25:24 pm »

Quote from: "miles"
Fuck the snow.

Good way to get frostbite there, homeslice.
Logged

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
Winnipeg in the winter wonderland
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2005, 10:28:25 pm »

I too, would give up something dear to me for the opportunity to enjoy a mild winter where the lows are in the 50's. I've predicted that what will break up my SO and I is the inevitable good news that I bring home that I've found a job in Fort Lauderdale or Phoenix or San Diego, and that she, the snow-lover, will decide not to come with me.
Logged

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Winnipeg in the winter wonderland
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2005, 01:35:12 am »

Bah!  You are all babies.

I took the hour long walk to work today.  It was wonderful, as I was well dressed and everything was pretty.  I wore: on my head a balaclava and a knitted toque with ear flaps - both over my headphones.  On my upper body I wore a t-shirt, a sweater, a caftan, a parka and a scarf.  I felt no cold.  The only trouble was the boots - I used Goop to seal up the holes from last year, I need me some new boots bad.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Winnipeg in the winter wonderland
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2005, 01:51:08 am »

I feel ya Side Show, it's gonna get down to the 30's here tonight.  I had to put damn jacket on.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Winnipeg in the winter wonderland
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2005, 02:31:23 am »

Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Beatrice

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 280
    • View Profile
Winnipeg in the winter wonderland
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2005, 03:31:34 am »

there was a tornado here, and now it is COLD.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Winnipeg in the winter wonderland
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2005, 05:13:46 am »

Wombat has it right.

Edit:  God that's a beautiful picture.  And, V, I use Thinsulate Condoms.  Duh.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
!
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2005, 06:10:10 am »

Goddamn I love me some snow. I've been to Canada twice for snow and it was beautiful.
In the land of Oz we are lucky to get down around 55 to 60 of your Farenheight degrees during winter (during the day, it can get down to 35 at night), but it's our summer here and christmas is typically the hottest day of the year, normally around 40 C where I am or (so the internet informs me) around 105 F.
Fuck winter is right, it should fuck*ng come down here!
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up