Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

this is a messageboard. people talk about stuffs in messageboards. all is well&all is good.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Beaujolais Nouveau  (Read 5009 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Turbo Ninja

  • A Tall Glass of Tuaca
  • Mr. Bear (Cornelius)
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 125
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 689
    • View Profile
Beaujolais Nouveau
« on: November 18, 2005, 02:32:32 pm »

The 2005 Nouveau was released yesterday.  I thought about it all last weekend and then promptly forgot about it until I got to the grocery store last night and found a MARVELOUS TOWER OF DEBOEUF in shiny yellow labels.  I was going to buy a red anyways (the Jerry Garcia Cab Sav is actually pretty good and hell of on sale this month) and I already had a take-and-bake baguette and small brick of Gruyere, so I went with the fresh stuff.

I like the taste of it, but I also like the way it's supposed to be consumed without too much thought or consideration or trying to compare the aftertaste to a flower or a tree or rock.  It's fresh red wine that tastes like it didn't spend forever in a barrel.  Open the bottle.  Pour a tall glass.  Drink with speed and enthusiasm.  

I am fond of this stuff and I'll probably drink ten more bottles before the year is up.
Logged

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Beaujolais Nouveau
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2005, 04:33:45 am »

Quote from: "Turbo Ninja"
The 2005 Nouveau was released yesterday.

I like the taste of it, but I also like the way it's supposed to be consumed without too much thought or consideration or trying to compare the aftertaste to a flower or a tree or rock.  It's fresh red wine that tastes like it didn't spend forever in a barrel.  Open the bottle.  Pour a tall glass.  Drink with speed and enthusiasm.

So is this like a new name for Ripple or something?

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Beaujolais Nouveau
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2005, 05:00:47 am »

Well, all you people with the weirdo bands you like with the silly names, I saw this post and expected that I was out of the loop about some new arty band that I've never heard of that's already sold out in some way named "Beaujolais Nouveau."

I don't like red wine.  It gives me a headache and it's just too full bodied for me.  I like me a nice Riesling or Chardonnay.  In fact, my favorite right now is a German wine that is so embarassing to me:  It is called
R
E
L
A
X all in sideways silver letters on the blue bottle.  I had tasted nearly every German wine at the local liquor mart, but had avoided that one based on how totally embarassingly silly the label is.  I mean, speaking of silly band names, how do you not hear Frankie Goes to Hollywood when you see this wine?  How, I ask you?  Then a good friend of mine, who happens to be a wine expert at the local LC had me over and when I told her I like German whine, she instantly bought that one for dinner since it is the best selling German wine.  It was so good.  So very good.  And now I buy it all the time.  Mmmm good.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Beaujolais Nouveau
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2005, 05:10:46 am »

Quote from: "side_show"

R
E
L
A
X all in sideways silver letters on the blue bottle.

The operative word here is sideways, but Paul Giamatti was into California Pinot not German Chardonay.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Beaujolais Nouveau
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2005, 05:17:54 am »

Quote from: "pmcd9"
Quote from: "side_show"

R
E
L
A
X all in sideways silver letters on the blue bottle.

The operative word here is sideways, but Paul Giamatti was into California Pinot not German Chardonay.


Y'know, I still haven't seen that movie - everyone tells me, very knowingly "Oh, you would like it,  I thought it was okay, but you would like it" like for some reason this is the sort of movie made from people just like me.  Which is confusing, because I've had basically the same response from at least three people.  Yet when I got the the video rental place, I pick it up, and I read the back, and it sounds so bloodly awful and boring.  Men with mid-life issues and a trip to wine country?  Snore, snore.  I do like Paul Giamatti though - I'm a big fan of American Splendor, but that's 'cause I'm a comicbook geek, more than for any other reason.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Beaujolais Nouveau
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2005, 05:33:50 am »

Quote from: "side_show"
I pick it up, and I read the back, and it sounds so bloodly awful and boring.

It's Hillarious.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Beaujolais Nouveau
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2005, 06:08:01 am »

Quote from: "Funny Canadian Lady"
how do you not hear Frankie Goes to Hollywood when you see this wine?


I think I love you.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Beaujolais Nouveau
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2005, 08:01:44 am »

Quote from: "AugustWest"
Quote from: "Funny Canadian Lady"
how do you not hear Frankie Goes to Hollywood when you see this wine?


I think I love you.


So what am I so afraid of?
I'm afraid I'm not so sure of
A love their ain't no cure for!

The Jeopardy guy loves me!

I'll have you know I was screaming "Louis Pasture!  Who is Louis Pasture!"  at my T.V. screen two days ago.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Beaujolais Nouveau
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2005, 08:37:09 am »

WHO THE HELL IS LOUIS PASTURE?!?

Sorry, that's wrong, the correct question is "Who is Louis Pasteur?"

You know that I only tease you for your horrible spelling because I like you, Smells, and also because without Mr. Spell Check mine is worse than yours.

Also, my eye was drawn to

R
E
L
A
X

and immediately I thought of FGTH, but only because my new t-shirt company's "FRANKIE SAYS RELAX" shirts (big yellow lettering just like the old 80s ones) should be produced next week.

Now if you'll excuse me I have to do my Flashdancing while listening to Spandau Ballet's "Gold."

(I'm indestructible)

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Beaujolais Nouveau
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2005, 10:05:40 am »

Quote from: "jough"
WHO THE HELL IS LOUIS PASTURE?!?

Sorry, that's wrong, the correct question is "Who is Louis Pasteur?"

You know that I only tease you for your horrible spelling because I like you, Smells, and also because without Mr. Spell Check mine is worse than yours.

Also, my eye was drawn to

R
E
L
A
X

and immediately I thought of FGTH, but only because my new t-shirt company's "FRANKIE SAYS RELAX" shirts (big yellow lettering just like the old 80s ones) should be produced next week.

Now if you'll excuse me I have to do my Flashdancing while listening to Spandau Ballet's "Gold."

(I'm indestructible)


Ah, yes, I am the Spell Check Kid.  I am a total spelling retard.  Since I went to Catholic school, where spelling and math were replaced by a religion class, I tend to struggle a bit in these areas.  I over came my difficulty with numbers when I worked for Mastercard, but the spelling thing?  There's spell check everywhere, except here!

I'm not missing something, right?  The board doesn't have a spell check feature, right?  I would have to go through the labour intensive process of writing my posts in word then cutting and pasting to here, right?wtf?
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Beaujolais Nouveau
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2005, 02:22:19 pm »

Quote from: "side_show"

 Yet when I got the the video rental place, I pick it up, and I read the back, and it sounds so bloodly awful and boring.  Men with mid-life issues and a trip to wine country?  


Yes.  I hated this so hard.  I wanted to track down everyone who made it and put them in the same room with everyone who made "Lost in Translation" and kill them all slowly, taking at least as long as the movies lasted.

But as for the original topic - I only ever had B.N. (damn French hard to spell language) a long time ago when I didn't used to drink a lot of wine of any kind.  I found it very odd and surprising.  I should go out and get some and try it again and see what it seems like now.  (I had meant to go on the wagon for the whole of this new temporary job, but I kind of accidentally had a margarita last night and I seem to be OK, so maybe resolving not to drink even on my days off is excessive.)
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Beaujolais Nouveau
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2005, 03:44:55 pm »

Louis Pasture?  Why, that was the cow who developed the germ theory of disease.  Which explains, of course, why they pastureize milk.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Beaujolais Nouveau
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2005, 05:45:04 pm »

Sideways was one of my favourite movies of last year.  I actually have it on my Palm PDA right now.  It is a good movie, but I think it is probably more of a movie for aging menfolk than for young women, which isn't to say that young women can't also enjoy its goodness.  

I mean, I sometimes will enjoy movies that are aimed at teenage girls, like Clueless, the Harry Potter movies, and Showgirls.

Anyway, I think we have previously established that Wombat hates middle-aged men, and movies about them (although really to be fair Lost in Translation was more about the Scarlett Johanssen character than it was about Bill Murray's).

Actually, my theory is that the only reason Lost in Translation exists is to get some cathartic putting down of Cameron Diaz, and the film is really "about" doing a press junket in Japan with Sophia Coppola's then-husband Spike Jonze and her jealousy of the time he was spending with Diaz.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Beaujolais Nouveau
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2005, 07:26:21 pm »

Quote from: "jough"

Anyway, I think we have previously established that Wombat hates middle-aged men, and movies about them


No, it's that Wombat is not interested in movies about whiny failures of any age and sex.  I mean jeez, don't I have enough of that in real life?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
Beaujolais Nouveau
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2005, 12:15:30 am »

Quote from: "jough"
I mean, I sometimes will enjoy movies that are aimed at teenage girls, like Clueless, the Harry Potter movies, and Showgirls.


Showgirls???
Logged
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up