Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Do not bone your neighbor's wife. That is hella lame.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Beaujolais Nouveau  (Read 5030 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
Beaujolais Nouveau
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2005, 04:32:10 am »

Quote from: "jough"
...and immediately I thought of FGTH, but only because my new t-shirt company's "FRANKIE SAYS RELAX" shirts (big yellow lettering just like the old 80s ones) should be produced next week.


My sister has an original one. We've passed it around my family, so, at different times, my mom, my brother, my sister and myself all have told onlookers that they should RELAX. Sadly, it is too small for my dad, who, as a gastroenterologist, probably needs it most.
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Beaujolais Nouveau
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2005, 11:51:55 am »

Quote from: "side_show"
this is the sort of movie made from people just like me.


SIDEWAYS IS PEOPLE!

ahem

To try and threadjack for a moment, can anyone give me any tips on the wind front? I am a total winetard and don't go in for many beers but don't believe it too classy to be drinking my preferred spirits over dinner. My main problem with wine is that I either find it too acidic (generally white wines) or a bit sickly (in the case of red wines). I did try a muscat recently that was nice but am not sure that really counts as it certainly seemed to earn the recommendation that it be drunk in very small glasses.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Beaujolais Nouveau
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2005, 06:31:40 pm »

My wife used to work for a huge California Winery. I was lucky enough to get to spend some time with the head Chef from the winery. I learned two key things:

1) Pairing wine with food is about 50% "what you like"

2) There are foods for which the only good pairing is beer

He set up a tasting with plates of food and flights of wine. Surprisingly the food and the wine each taste significantly different when paired. In one case, the food and the wine tasted completely different after adding a little bit of salt to the food.

Next time you are in a restaurant, order a few different wines by the glass and check it out. It's actually really fun.

I find that you just need to taste a lot of wines and try them with different foods.

I think that:

There is no match for asparaugus
There is no real good match for vietnamese or chinese food

I like Zinfandels and Merlots with read meats (lamb and beef) and Duck
I like Rieslings and Pinot Grigios with pastas with non-red sauces and side dishes with cheese (or fondue).

I like Pinot Noir and Fume Blanc by themselves.

Cabernet Sauvignon is good with most things - I like it with a solid mouthfeel. One that I like gives you kind of a burst of kind of citrus flavor.

White Zinfandel is perfect with barbecue and fun food - to me, it's like the sodapop of wines.

YMMV.

I don't usually order wines with strong 'feline' characteristics but I think they would probably good with venison and wild fowl. Another good place for Zinfandel or other rich non-sweet wines as well.

Also, I was at a tasting and I got to try this 'White Burgundy' and it was so good. I get confused between French and American appelations - I don't know which grape it is (I suppose I could just look it up) but it's pretty good.

Drink and be merry.
Logged

JorgeFabregas

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 93
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1227
  • I was impressed.
    • View Profile
Beaujolais Nouveau
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2005, 09:29:15 pm »

I only drink wine after eating half of a fresh pineapple.
Logged
And we know who we should love. But we're never certain how.

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Beaujolais Nouveau
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2005, 10:37:26 pm »

Would you like a bottle of pineapple wine? I'm sure I can find some here.
Logged

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Beaujolais Nouveau
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2005, 02:18:35 pm »

Thanks for the advice Dawg, I'll bear it in mind next time I want something other than caffeine with my meal. Although 'feline characteristics'? I'm trusting your not messing with my head with that one but that's a fancy wine term I've not only never heard before but am not even sure I can start to comprehend.

Also while your getting the pineapple wine try some chilli wine, tis the bizeldy bomb. Again though more the sort of thing you drink on a dare from your girlfriends dad than with an actual meal you wish to enjoy.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up