Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

What we need more of is science.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: 11/21/2005 - Showbiz versus the timepiece  (Read 6145 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Emmoh

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 120
    • View Profile
    • Shameless
11/21/2005 - Showbiz versus the timepiece
« on: November 21, 2005, 09:35:51 am »

git

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1
    • View Profile
11/21/2005 - Showbiz versus the timepiece
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2005, 10:08:28 am »

Seems like Showbiz should have paid more attention when they were teaching you how to read analog clocks.

And...it's November 21, not 19...
Logged

Lister

  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 101
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 892
  • 2, 4, 6, 8, time to transubstantiate!
    • View Profile
11/21/2005 - Showbiz versus the timepiece
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2005, 10:33:51 am »

Points to Roast Beef for a successful "teenage girl reading Tiger Beat" pose.

The moustachio'd cat's surprise, dismay, anger, and then disappointment did not make me laugh at him or feel sorry for him.

good comic but not A+++++++ would read again anyway
Logged
Lister.  Not that one, the other one.

Ben-San

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 164
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1259
  • Two-Fisted Detective
    • View Profile
11/21/2005 - Showbiz versus the timepiece
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2005, 11:04:06 am »

That is some crazy perspective on Roast Beef's prone body.
Logged

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
11/21/2005 - Showbiz versus the timepiece
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2005, 11:28:41 am »

With the mustache and the overly exaggerated snap Showbiz kind of looks to me like a villian in an old black and white melodrama (melodrama, is that right? I know nothing of theatre or roping maidens to train tracks).
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

V-Adore

  • Guest
11/21/2005 - Showbiz versus the timepiece
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2005, 01:22:35 pm »

The rendering of the clock from Showbiz's perspective ("6?") makes this entire strip. It's a good example of an inspired visual redeeming an otherwise tired gag.
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
11/21/2005 - Showbiz versus the timepiece
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2005, 02:09:00 pm »

That is a damned fine expression on Showbiz at the end there.
Logged

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
11/21/2005 - Showbiz versus the timepiece
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2005, 02:51:18 pm »

Overheard in grocery store a while back:

Little boy:  Mom, what time is it?
Mom:  Well, the big hand is on the two, and the little hand...
Boy:  Mooooooooooooooooom, you know I can't do thaaaaaaaat!

A future Showbiz in the making.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
11/21/2005 - Showbiz versus the timepiece
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2005, 04:02:39 pm »

Oh, I remember a really anxiety filled time in grade three when I had to stay in for recess because I was getting over Pneumonia, and my teacher, who was a nun, whose name escapes me right now, told me to tell her when it was "quarter after two."  I told her okay, but then I secretly freaked out because I didn't know what the hell she was talking about.  She came back into the classroom and was all, "I thought I told you to tell me when it was quarter-after!"  And I was humiliated and had to confess I didn't know what "quarter-after" meant.  I still have time telling paranioa to this day, and always wear a digital watch or no watch at all because of it.  Damn you Sister Whatever-you-name-was!  Damn you!
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

Emergent_C

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 153
    • View Profile
11/21/2005 - Showbiz versus the timepiece
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2005, 07:41:15 pm »

I feel ya, side show. I could read at a 4th grade level when I was in 1st grade, but seriously got flunked out of my British school (we were living in Singapore at the time) because I couldn't tell time or tie my shoes. Dang.

Then, of course, I transferred to an American school, and they didn't really care that I still hadn't learned how to tie my shoes or read an analog clock by 3rd grade. Uh, well, I can do both things really well now.

In conclusion, "What's long, stiff, and lives in a furry black cave when not in use?" if fuck*ng funny. Or maybe I'm 5.
Logged
now I know that being in trouble is a fake idea

Hobo Frenzy

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 222
  • fuck*ng Moto Guzzi
    • View Profile
    • the best site in the universe
11/21/2005 - Showbiz versus the timepiece
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2005, 08:32:24 pm »

Oh man, it's sad but I wear an analog watch and sometimes I'll look the watch for a good 3 seconds then pull out my cell phone and check the time with that. I can tell time with those silly hands but sometimes I'm just to lazy/tired to do it.

Interesting piece of info: The shortest hand is called the First Hand, the long hand is called the Second Hand, and the optional fast moving skinny hand is called the Sweep Hand. Most people don't know this.
Logged
Hey, what's this? Cursive?

JorgeFabregas

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 93
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1227
  • I was impressed.
    • View Profile
11/21/2005 - Showbiz versus the timepiece
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2005, 09:05:28 pm »

Quote from: "Emergent_C"
I feel ya, side show. I could read at a 4th grade level when I was in 1st grade, but seriously got flunked out of my British school (we were living in Singapore at the time) because I couldn't tell time or tie my shoes. Dang.


You're going to be a little office boy making 50 pounds a month! Or something.

Is there some dyslexia going on in this strip, or is it just confusion?
Logged
And we know who we should love. But we're never certain how.

Factitious

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 11
    • View Profile
11/21/2005 - Showbiz versus the timepiece
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2005, 10:15:27 pm »

Quote from: "Hobo Frenzy"

Interesting piece of info: The shortest hand is called the First Hand, the long hand is called the Second Hand, and the optional fast moving skinny hand is called the Sweep Hand. Most people don't know this.


Shouldn't the second hand be the one that indicates the seconds?
Logged

mrchee

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: -4
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 163
  • -NULLAM REM NATAM-
    • View Profile
11/21/2005 - Showbiz versus the timepiece
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2005, 10:30:55 pm »

Quote from: "Factitious"
Quote from: "Hobo Frenzy"

Interesting piece of info: The shortest hand is called the First Hand, the long hand is called the Second Hand, and the optional fast moving skinny hand is called the Sweep Hand. Most people don't know this.


Shouldn't the second hand be the one that indicates the seconds?


You must remember that there is nothing that makes sense about analog clocks.  Nothing
Logged
If no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire... The A-Team

Turbo Ninja

  • A Tall Glass of Tuaca
  • Mr. Bear (Cornelius)
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 125
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 689
    • View Profile
11/21/2005 - Showbiz versus the timepiece
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2005, 10:35:23 pm »

Quote from: "mrchee"

You must remember that there is nothing that makes sense about analog clocks.  Nothing


Particularly when the "sweep" hand only really "sweeps" on your more-expensive watches.  Your typical Swatch will tick.
Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up