Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Listen, I've been duped by "English-speaking" pizza places before.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New board format issues.  (Read 4854 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
New board format issues.
« on: August 01, 2003, 05:06:20 pm »

I'm having problems getting HTML to work.  Am I missing a step?  For instance: <a href="http://www.achewood.com">this[/url] should come up as a link, but doesn't.  

Save me!
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Jugwine

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 9
    • View Profile
New board format issues.
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2003, 05:32:08 pm »

For now, try this instead:  
Code: [Select]
[url=http://www.achewood.com]this[/url]

If I understand correctly, html can be turned off at the administrator level.  Apparently you can pick and choose what tags are allowed.  I've never administered a phpBB before, though, so I don't know how you'd go about doing it...
Logged

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
New board format issues.
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2003, 06:24:37 pm »

Aha.  I had to add the "a" tag to the list of allowed tags -- it wasn't the default.  Thanks for the tip.

Test: www.dumbrella.com">Dumbrella

Edit: Yay, it worked!  But not retroactively.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
New board format issues.
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2003, 06:26:54 pm »

Yep it's in the admin board.
It may as simple as adding ,a, to the list of allowed tags. Certianly ought to be.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
New board format issues.
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2003, 04:39:27 am »

Unfortunately, it's not that simple.

I just removed the 'a' tag from the list of acceptable tags.  There's a perfectly useable equivalent that doesn't allow people to add javascript attributes.

If you've ever tried to read a post and have been automatically re-directed to a porn site, you'd know why it's a good idea to only allow tags which don't accept attributes, like bold, italics, and preformatted text.

Usually I turn off HTML on message boards entirely, especialy for a board like this one that has its own easy way of specifying links, fonts, colours, sizes, etc.

There's only a minor learning curve to use the phpBB code, and the little buttons help.

-- Jough

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
New board format issues.
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2003, 04:53:23 am »

Good call, I didn't think about the javascript attribute angle.  Wow, I'm glad I have a "pro" to help me out with this stuff...I am humbled.  Truly.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
New board format issues.
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2003, 06:56:09 pm »

Basically you shouldn't add html elements to the list just because someone asks you to.  It's like someone saying "Do you mind holding this stick of dynamite for me while I run over there?  Oh yeah, and when you can't see me any more, be a dear and just light the end of this fuse, would you?"

Okay, it's nothing like that.  But it's still not a good idea.

I was thinking of removing the HTML module from the backend.  That would mean that no one could use HTML anywhere in any posts.

But I think it's convenient to let people bold and italicise stuff that way.

So that's the gist.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
New board format issues.
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2003, 06:59:02 pm »

Yes, I see now.  I've just gotten so accustomed to using HTML that UBB code annoys me.  I'll let you take care of the codey-stuff.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson
Pages: [1]   Go Up