Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Trains are saying "hello".  All this time, we just snub them.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Nov 23, 2005 - FROM THE DESK of a reasonable man  (Read 7219 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Nov 23, 2005 - FROM THE DESK of a reasonable man
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2005, 11:10:15 pm »

Quote from: "theinevitable"
as to hairs on soap.
There are some things which, although they may be fine when thought about logically, are simply too much for the human (or feline) psyche to bear. Even if soap is theoretically the most clean thing, hair is dirty. especially other people's hair.


This is so true. It's very odd because there aren't a whole lot of diseases that are transmitted through stray hairs.  And I for one couldn't care less about dog or cat hair.  But people hair is horrible.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

antioch

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 185
  • fuggedaboudit!
    • View Profile
    • Facehugger Records
Nov 23, 2005 - FROM THE DESK of a reasonable man
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2005, 11:39:23 pm »

Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
Quote from: "mudokon"
A friend of mine once tried to drag me into an Aveda so I could help him find the $20 shampoo he was looking for, but I figured I was just a few shades too dark to be welcomed inside there. Also, no one needs $20 shampoo. Aveda is ridiculous.

It's good that Onstad is ending this storyline. Showbiz's antics were pretty funny for a while, but yesterday's strip kind of indicated that he had run out of things for the cat to do.


What shade is too dark for the Aveda store?


A shade roaming the highlands in the night, howling his self-imposed loneliness; a wraith too corrupt to ever enter an Aveda again.

 I thought that the "FROM THE DESK OF..." paper belonged to beef. It struck me as out of place and awesome. Reminded me of this lil' nasty.
Logged
I am older now.

V-Adore

  • Guest
Nov 23, 2005 - FROM THE DESK of a reasonable man
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2005, 03:41:51 am »

On the soap front: I would not throw away soap for this, but honest to God, ewwww. Iam unpleasantly reminded of last week, when I went to take a shower to find that, not only had someone else used my soap, but it had been used so vigorously that it had snapped in half. I felt like Pat for being creeped out by it, but Jesus Haploid Christ, people!!

At least there were no hairs. If there'd been a hair I might have died on the spot.
Logged

LCB

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 113
  • ...when you get the blues in the night
    • View Profile
Nov 23, 2005 - FROM THE DESK of a reasonable man
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2005, 05:26:36 am »

Honestly, look at Showbiz. If you even suspected that it was a hair of his you found on your soap, would you not be somewhat...perturbed at least?
Going over the soap with a veggie peeler is a rather restrained course of action I think.
Logged
Which way to the vomitorium, centurion?

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Nov 23, 2005 - FROM THE DESK of a reasonable man
« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2005, 06:16:52 am »

This is the thread where we find out who has OCD and who's a fuck*ng slob.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Nov 23, 2005 - FROM THE DESK of a reasonable man
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2005, 06:43:08 am »

Albert would never steal 70 dollars.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Null

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 204
    • View Profile
    • http://beckoningchasm.com
Nov 23, 2005 - FROM THE DESK of a reasonable man
« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2005, 06:58:17 am »

I would throw away a mint copy of Fantastic Four #1 if I discovered that Showbiz had been reading it (and thumbing the pages).

But not before making a final scour of eBay first, just to get my money's worth.  I'm not that stupid, much.
Logged

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Nov 23, 2005 - FROM THE DESK of a reasonable man
« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2005, 02:49:12 pm »

Quote from: "Null"
I would throw away a mint copy of Fantastic Four #1 if I discovered that Showbiz had been reading it (and thumbing the pages).

But not before making a final scour of eBay first, just to get my money's worth.  I'm not that stupid, much.


Hey Null, on a deeply geekery-type-note, it is the general consensus among comic geeks that there are not any "mint" condition copies of FF #1, only "near mint."  As far as it goes many for those I know in the collector comic biz say that if a comic has been read it is basically no longer mint.  I sold a copy of FF #1 in "good" condition (some spine wear and extended staple holes) about five years ago for $1000 Cnd, so, no matter what, it's worth a good deal, but I'm just nit-picking.  Because I suck.

Anyway...

When it comes to the hair, we haven't made and important distinction here:  What kind of hair was it?  Cause head hair is no big deal to me, but I imagined the hair they are speaking of to be a pube.  What sort of hair implies where the soap has been last. Since it's an expensive, and one can assume "facial only" type soap, you can bet Molly never expected it to be mashed against some party guy's genitals, and now that it has been there, how can she wash her face with it and not think of where it's been?

Seriously, I think that's the issue.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

starlight

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 323
    • View Profile
    • http://www.livejournal.com/~aekastar
Nov 23, 2005 - FROM THE DESK of a reasonable man
« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2005, 10:49:12 pm »

If there's a visitor using my bathroom, they bring their own soap.  it's a given.
Logged
Texas only kept me awake

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
Nov 23, 2005 - FROM THE DESK of a reasonable man
« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2005, 01:48:50 am »

Quote from: "starlight"
If there's a visitor using my bathroom, they bring their own soap.  it's a given.

When my bathroom celing collapsed, and I had to shower at other people's places, I bought like 10 of those little travel soaps and, every place that I showered, I used it and then left it there (informing them, of course); that way, if they're cool with using soap what I have used, hey, free soap! And if not, no harm done.
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Nov 23, 2005 - FROM THE DESK of a reasonable man
« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2005, 02:01:33 am »

Bozack, that is so civilized that it makes me want to weep.  But - your bathroom ceiling collapsed?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

antioch

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 185
  • fuggedaboudit!
    • View Profile
    • Facehugger Records
Nov 23, 2005 - FROM THE DESK of a reasonable man
« Reply #26 on: November 25, 2005, 03:29:26 am »

Bozack - it seems from your posts that really awful things happen to you in NYC pretty often. I just want to offer encouragement. Help your friends get through it, and I think it will bring relief to you. That probably sounds stupid. I remember feeling like what I think you feel like. That the city hates me and I'm out of place and that life can never be neat. Always bad. But there were those that cared for me. I really wish I would have held to them like a magnetic vice while I was in the city. That's really my only regret. Anyway - I think one day you may have tremendous joy from your lifestyle.
Logged
I am older now.

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
Nov 23, 2005 - FROM THE DESK of a reasonable man
« Reply #27 on: November 25, 2005, 08:23:27 am »

Haha! Yes! The bathroom celing collapsed! Funny story!
I live with my brother, my sister and a pot-smoking, twice-divorced 37-year old in an apartment building owned and maintained by Eastern Bloc immigrants, who are really pretty great; when we were signing the lease, we asked if there were any rules other than those stated that we needed to follow, and the landlord said no. Then the greasy real-estate guy said, "Huhuh! No loud parties!", to which the landlord replied, "Oh, no, do whatever you want!"
However, the problem is that the super is a bit...absentminded. During the summer, my sister noticed that there was a leak in the celing, and, being 25 and a responsible adult, decided not to do anything and left the apartment, which sat vacant for 2 weeks. When my brother and I got there, a giant paint-bubble had appeared. We immediatly call the super, who comes by, and then tells us that he's going to go upstairs and fix the leak. He leaves, and the leak stops. And then...he doesn't return.
The next day, the leak began anew, and we called him again. The day after that, the leak continued, unabaited, and we called him again. Five days and five calls later, my brother and I went to the main building to find, well, anyone who would actually do something. We found Konrad, a young Eastern European man who informed us that the super was on vacation. Ah. But Konrad could help us!
We walk Konrad up to the apartment and show him the bathroom. He reaches up, grabs the bottom of the paint bubble and tugs.
About 5 square feet of celing and wall collapse into (luckily) my bathtub, along with a fair amount of filthy water.
Konrad says, "Oh, fhaking sheet." I was actually kind of bothered that he didn't go to the trouble of cursing in his native tongue, so we wouldn't know how bad it was. He told us that he was going to go up, turn the water off, and then, 2 days later, come back and re-drywall and re-plaster the celing, and also do something about the large, visible molds which had formed. Then he left. Leaving 5 square feet of wall and celing in my tub.
Regardless, two days later, he did fix it, in what is definitely the most Eastern Bloc manner- he put a piece of drywall up on our celing, plastered the edges to the actual celing, plastered up the part of the wall that had fallen down, and then left. My celing now has a 3 foot section that is an inch higher than the rest and is brown.
This all adds to my premise that Konrad, the super, and indeed the entire management, believe that our building is actually a satellite of an Eastern Bloc nation; this is re-inforced by the frequent hot-water shortages and cutoffs, the lack of heat in 2 of the 5 bedrooms and the fact that, when we first moved in, someone had carved the words "MEAN PEOPLE" into my wall, with a knife, and the landlord actually pointed at it and chuckled.
Despite this, I really like my landlord and building; it's like Balki from Perfect Strangers magically wandered into Faulty Towers.
Things actually aren't as bad as they sound- for some reason, all of the bad things that happen to me are spectacularly bad, and thus make great anecdotes. The friends thing tends to elude me, however, because I dropped out of a fashion design school posing as an art school where I hated everyone and had no friends. In fact, I've done a count and realized that I haven't lived in the same city as more than 2 of my friends for more than three months out of the last 3 years.
Luckily, I'm going to get some dwarf hamsters.

EDIT: Whoa, looks like I'm going for some pretty rough chuckles nowadays.
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Nov 23, 2005 - FROM THE DESK of a reasonable man
« Reply #28 on: November 25, 2005, 03:55:10 pm »

You know, I had a similar thing happen to me in my second of four apartments, and I remember thinking how convienient it was that all the chunks fell into the tub.  

No one ever fixed my leak, but a letter to all tenants warned that there would be an inspection of all bathrooms to ensure proper shower curtains were being used.  Oh, yes, apparently shower curtains were the problem.  Later, I got a letter informing me that my shower curtains were not suitable, though no explaination of why was ever offered.

It was a little disturbing to imagine someone in my apartment, with me not home, examining my shower curtain, but ignoring the collapsing ceiling.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

Emergent_C

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 153
    • View Profile
Nov 23, 2005 - FROM THE DESK of a reasonable man
« Reply #29 on: November 25, 2005, 03:59:06 pm »

That's nothing! My entire house is somewhere at the bottom of Lake Pontchartrain, and I had to do some hardcore improvising (for more than a month) just to find a place to soap myself up and rinse myself off. And I'm still as homeless as Showbiz, livin' off the kindness of others. Not to mention the fact that it's been 3 months and I'm only now reaching the "check is in the mail" stage of my insurance claim (and considering that my mail only gets delivered once every two weeks...).
Logged
now I know that being in trouble is a fake idea
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up