Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

"Okay, Okay, enough of all that. New strip Wednesday afternoon. "  See, we shoulda took bets.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Rent?  (Read 5140 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Rent?
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2005, 06:29:36 pm »

In HS we saw Rent at the Warner Theatre as a field trip. There was a girl standing in the ticket release line with the Rent logo tatooed on her calf and I knew I was in trouble.

I took SO MUCH shit for hating this show back then. Oh, and IIRC our teacher explained that all the dialog and the camera-guy narration was added to make the show more accessable to regular audiences after its first run.
Logged

Ben-San

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 164
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1259
  • Two-Fisted Detective
    • View Profile
Rent?
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2005, 07:28:09 pm »

So, wait, check me on this, am I still allowed to like it or am I a poser thereby?

I think the problem with Rent is the Tragic Death Of Jonathon Larsen turned it from a pretty good enjoyable contemporary rock opera into a religious thing that you aren't allowed to just like and MUST either love or hate. Liking it is not a conceivable possibility somehow, so if you don't worship at its altar you must hate it. I liked it, I liked most of the music, I still get out the album now and then. I don't worship and adore it, but I like a lot of things I don't worship and adore.
Logged

V-Adore

  • Guest
Rent?
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2005, 07:36:29 pm »

Quote from: "Ben-San"
So, wait, check me on this, am I still allowed to like it or am I a poser thereby?

I think the problem with Rent is the Tragic Death Of Jonathon Larsen turned it from a pretty good enjoyable contemporary rock opera into a religious thing that you aren't allowed to just like and MUST either love or hate. Liking it is not a conceivable possibility somehow, so if you don't worship at its altar you must hate it. I liked it, I liked most of the music, I still get out the album now and then. I don't worship and adore it, but I like a lot of things I don't worship and adore.

Agreed on all points. And yeah, I am still allowed not to be a poser, right? Or am I a poser/fanatic/dramafuck/&c. automatically?

(If so, I might as well get into Les Miz and Wicked; it can't exactly get worse...)
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Rent?
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2005, 08:18:16 pm »

Haven't seen it, don't intend to.  Am therefore without an opinion.

All I know is that I was given four excellent tickets to Annie for next Friday and my daughters want to go.  So, here's my question:  If I start on a program of insulin injections today, will I be able to prevent diabetic coma by Friday evening?

As you may guess, I'm not a big musical theatre guy.  However, I think it's a little odd to criticize a work of musical theatre for being campy or hokey.  Duh!  Any production wherein people suddenly burst into song and dance for no discernable reason is by definition hokey.  All musical theatre is hokey -- which is fine if it's what you like.  I don't expect deep characterization or subtle turns of plot in a Broadway musical.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Rent?
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2005, 08:29:16 pm »

Quote from: "AugustWest"
All I know is that I was given four excellent tickets to Annie for next Friday and my daughters want to go.  So, here's my question:  If I start on a program of insulin injections today, will I be able to prevent diabetic coma by Friday evening?

Annie has some great songs.  You and your daughters should really enjoy it  immensly.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Ben-San

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 164
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1259
  • Two-Fisted Detective
    • View Profile
Rent?
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2005, 09:35:31 pm »

Annie is a better show than it usually gets credit for, yeah. Assuming it's a good production you should have a good time.

Or maybe not. What do I know?
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Rent?
« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2005, 10:46:49 pm »

Quote from: "V-Adore"
Quote from: "Ben-San"
So, wait, check me on this, am I still allowed to like it or am I a poser thereby?

I think the problem with Rent is the Tragic Death Of Jonathon Larsen turned it from a pretty good enjoyable contemporary rock opera into a religious thing that you aren't allowed to just like and MUST either love or hate. Liking it is not a conceivable possibility somehow, so if you don't worship at its altar you must hate it. I liked it, I liked most of the music, I still get out the album now and then. I don't worship and adore it, but I like a lot of things I don't worship and adore.

Agreed on all points. And yeah, I am still allowed not to be a poser, right? Or am I a poser/fanatic/dramafuck/&c. automatically?

(If so, I might as well get into Les Miz and Wicked; it can't exactly get worse...)

This issue is liking it vs. Monty Python/Star Trek/&c levels of fan-dorkery.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Rent?
« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2005, 10:47:05 pm »

Quote from: "pmcd9"
Quote from: "AugustWest"
All I know is that I was given four excellent tickets to Annie for next Friday and my daughters want to go.  So, here's my question:  If I start on a program of insulin injections today, will I be able to prevent diabetic coma by Friday evening?

Annie has some great songs.  You and your daughters should really enjoy it  immensly.

~Paul


I know.  I'm sure we will.  I may be living under a musical theatre rock, but I think that there are probably monks high in the Himalayas in Nepal infected with the "Tomorrow" earworm.  Patagonian goatherds can sing "Hard Luck Life".
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Ben-San

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 164
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1259
  • Two-Fisted Detective
    • View Profile
Rent?
« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2005, 01:44:25 am »

Quote from: "CortJstr"
This issue is liking it vs. Monty Python/Star Trek/&c levels of fan-dorkery.


I also like Monty Python and Star Trek. :(
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Rent?
« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2005, 01:57:27 am »

mann.
I don't know. I like Les Mis and such...

It's really that watching this, I suddenly find myself talking about the "liberal agenda" and stuff like that, and I don't like it. It's one of those cases where you're embarassed to be associated with something. Like when an obnoxious hippy says something you agree with, but you're embarassed to agree with them. I don't know. It brings out my inner Pat. Or maybe just my inner teenager who cares too much about looking bad.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Rent?
« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2005, 03:48:52 am »

Quote from: "Ben-San"
Quote from: "CortJstr"
This issue is liking it vs. Monty Python/Star Trek/&c levels of fan-dorkery.

I also like Monty Python and Star Trek. :(

But when's the last time you said "ni!" at somebody or argued about the morality of the Maquis?
Logged

Ben-San

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 164
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1259
  • Two-Fisted Detective
    • View Profile
Rent?
« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2005, 06:16:04 am »

Quote from: "CortJstr"
But when's the last time you said "ni!" at somebody or argued about the morality of the Maquis?


I don't watch the newer-generation stuff, but intent conveyed. ;)

Doing that is actually really fun but I save it for the conventions. It's not like most people have anything interesting to say about the relative merits of Star Trek shuttlecraft vs. Thunderbird-2 anyway. I got the message but found it amusing that you chose those particular topics. It always turns out there are a lot of things that a lot of things I like are cool to like in ironic or otherwise 'annoying' ways, so it gets harder and harder to be a well-meaning and sincere dork.
Logged

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
Rent?
« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2005, 06:45:43 am »

My girlfriend saw "Rent" last night; apparently, she cried a lot, but she also hasn't slept since last Monday, so take from that what you will.
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!

V-Adore

  • Guest
Rent?
« Reply #28 on: November 27, 2005, 06:28:25 pm »

Quote from: "AugustWest"
Haven't seen it, don't intend to.  Am therefore without an opinion.

All I know is that I was given four excellent tickets to Annie for next Friday and my daughters want to go.  So, here's my question:  If I start on a program of insulin injections today, will I be able to prevent diabetic coma by Friday evening?

As has already been said, Annie is an underrated show. You should enjoy it, and your kids will enjoy it a lot. Go and have fun.

Quote
As you may guess, I'm not a big musical theatre guy.  However, I think it's a little odd to criticize a work of musical theatre for being campy or hokey.  Duh!  Any production wherein people suddenly burst into song and dance for no discernable reason is by definition hokey.  All musical theatre is hokey -- which is fine if it's what you like.  I don't expect deep characterization or subtle turns of plot in a Broadway musical.

Yes, exactly. To be fair, though, I'd argue this is a flaw in the modern genre of "rock opera"/other musical forms with non-traditional music; they make it easy for the audience to assume that, since the music has been modernized, the tone of the production has also been de-hokified, which is almost never the case.
Logged

JorgeFabregas

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 93
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1227
  • I was impressed.
    • View Profile
Rent?
« Reply #29 on: November 30, 2005, 04:56:59 pm »

Do they have that "Light My Candle" song in the movie version? That's the only song I know from RENT and it's plum bad. Bad melody, bad everything.
Logged
And we know who we should love. But we're never certain how.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up