But isn't the whole idea behind Christianity that you ARE a soul and you HAVE a body? So that body is just a temporary vessle for that soul and is irrelevent once one moves on to their final reward. I have heard that some protestant sects place more importance on the shell but I have no idea how that came about.
Although personally I think that the moral thing is to turn a body back into fertilizer as rapidly as possible after death. Kind of like in Dune.
We were created in the image of a benevolent and loving creator and given, however briefly, a paradise and a partner to care for. My personal belief is that a major reason for the creation of beings with free will and the capacity to love is that God desires very much to be loved by us and that one way that we demonstrate our love for God is to demonstrate our love for each other and our respect for the gifts we have been given. Our bodies, creation, and each other are great gifts and this treatment of each other is really disrespectful of that gift and the Giver of it. My personal favorite illustration of this is in Genesis: there are two original sins there. Eve eats of the apple, sure. But worse yet, she offers it to Adam. At this point Adam has a choice and it's a doozy:
Eve or God?
The guy chose the girl (and ultimately, temptations of the world of every kind) over God. (and (1) men still do this today! and (2) This places a rightful amount of the BLAME for the fall of mankind back on Adam who deserves at least a portion of the blame women have been getting forever) This was heartbreaking for God who came looking for them and could not find them because they were hiding, naked and ashamed. God was angry
BUT He also made clothes for Adam and Eve.
God wants to be loved and IMHO created mankind to love him and truly feels hurt when He does everything for us and we still turn away.
Ever been in a relationship like that? How about being in one for millions of years? Multiplied a few billion times?
The body may be a temporary vessel as you say; more possibly to the point it is the temple in which we carry that bit of God-ness we have within. That tiny piece of the Holy Spirit that we tend and nourish until that moment when we return with it to God.
I guess I feel like that temple is desecrated by this 'art' we are discussing, not so much by what is done to it (bad enough!) but for the reasons behind both the artists 'art' and the public's desire to view it (and paying so much for the opportunity'.
Miles: having a hard time calling the dead 'people' is natural, I think, for many people - I think that it's far too easy to extend that difficulty beyond that - say, the mentally challenged or the very old or the comatose or the handicapped - or, to some, unborn babies. (by this I don't mean you but I mean to imply that the passage of time naturally causes changes (erosion in this case) of social thought.)
When I mentioned earlier about mankind's stewardship of humanity 'slipping' I was speaking to the fact that there are so many people on this planet now, we have so much more information and such better ways of communicating (and the benefit of knowledge and understanding of past bad behavior) and things seem to get no better - and worse, some us, perhaps an alarming increasing number, seem to tend to dehumanize some people in the groups listed above and others.
We were meant to be biodegradable. We weren't, I thinkn't, meant to be disposable.
Also, as an aside to the end of Miles' post I believe some Jewish beliefs include bodily reincarnation at judgment, as well as some protestant groups but the Catholic church (now) and most protestant churches I'm aware of allow cremation. So I'm neither here nor there on the odds of my personal response to Gideon's Trumpet come that day based on the method of my respectful disposal. You are very right in that it's not (certainly shouldn't be) the central point of any denomination's teachings.
What should count is what you do while you are alive, of course.