Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Did you know...
That Word Front, the kind host of TOUAMB.com, offers high quality t-shirts for sale?

Poll

Is this ethical?

yes
- 6 (50%)
no
- 6 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: November 26, 2005, 04:21:30 pm


Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]   Go Down

Author Topic: Body Worlds Exhibit - Human Bodies perserved & displayed  (Read 23570 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

V-Adore

  • Guest
Body Worlds Exhibit - Human Bodies perserved & displayed
« Reply #105 on: December 05, 2005, 01:17:32 am »

Quote from: "Doc"
That image is confusing me too since just looking at a brain with a regular video camera you aren't going to get funky patterns. At least I don't think so, I don't have a lot of physiology.
Just in case someone actually does know I want to get my guess in first as the colours representing the concentration of a particular chemical or isotope in the brain that correlates to brain activity. I believe PET scans look something like that but from memory those are done using isotopes and a big stinkin' 360 degrees detector around the head, not a video camera.
Damnit someone explain that image.

I don't work in this field specifically, but I interpret it this way: when a brain region is active, the concentration of oxygen in the blood changes, which results in a change in the wavelength of light reflected. The camera then captures the wavelengths of light reflected on the brain, and based on the wavelengths, you can determine which parts of the brain are active.

Whew.

Quote
Does anyone else love how totally haggard yet serene the monkey is looking. Like he has a really hard job but he knows he is doing it for the greater good and so it fills him with peace. Either that or 'ahhh I love the alternating coloured stripe show'.

If my experience is any indication, this is exactly the base state of every neuroscience researcher ever. It's hard, but it's for science.
Logged

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Body Worlds Exhibit - Human Bodies perserved & displayed
« Reply #106 on: December 05, 2005, 02:23:43 am »

Quote from: "V-Adore"
An intelligent and well reasoned explanation.

Well, when you put it like that.

Quote from: "V-Adore"
If my experience is any indication, this is exactly the base state of every neuroscience researcher ever. It's hard, but it's for science.


So the monkey is the researcher? Rock on.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

V-Adore

  • Guest
Body Worlds Exhibit - Human Bodies perserved & displayed
« Reply #107 on: December 05, 2005, 01:52:43 pm »

Quote from: "Doc"

Quote from: "V-Adore"
If my experience is any indication, this is exactly the base state of every neuroscience researcher ever. It's hard, but it's for science.


So the monkey is the researcher? Rock on.

He's a co-researcher. Here in neuroscience, we value every contribution!

(I think I'm joking, but on the other hand, I did credit the rats on my research poster this summer.)
Logged

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Body Worlds Exhibit - Human Bodies perserved & displayed
« Reply #108 on: December 05, 2005, 02:56:23 pm »

Yes, the monkey is awesome, especially the Mona Lisa smile on his little monkey face.

I would like it better if the image was of a nice ripe banana, then I could simplify my understanding of the monkey smile, because, right now, the monkey smile is complex and sad.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

V-Adore

  • Guest
Body Worlds Exhibit - Human Bodies perserved & displayed
« Reply #109 on: December 05, 2005, 04:11:14 pm »

Quote from: "side_show"
Yes, the monkey is awesome, especially the Mona Lisa smile on his little monkey face.

I would like it better if the image was of a nice ripe banana, then I could simplify my understanding of the monkey smile, because, right now, the monkey smile is complex and sad.

I hate to go all Researcher on this, but: the reason the image is something abstract is so that only the appropriate visual centers are stimulated, not anything else. If it was a banana or a lady monkey or something like that, you'd get data contamination, because in addition to the visual centers, the monkey's "mmmmmm, banana" centers would also light up and all hell would break loose.

(That was the last scientific explanation of a scientific concept ever. I apologize.)
Logged

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
Body Worlds Exhibit - Human Bodies perserved & displayed
« Reply #110 on: December 06, 2005, 02:01:20 am »

I associate that smile with someone other than Mona Lisa.

C'mon, look how serene that monkey is. That is one monkey that is committed to the principles of non-violence.

I would like to say that I am not comparing Ghandi to a monkey, but comparing a monkey to Ghandi. I am not disrespecting Ghandi; I think Ghandi was awesome.[/url]
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Body Worlds Exhibit - Human Bodies perserved & displayed
« Reply #111 on: December 06, 2005, 05:26:42 pm »

Quote from: "Bozack"
I associate that smile with someone other than Mona Lisa.

C'mon, look how serene that monkey is. That is one monkey that is committed to the principles of non-violence.

I would like to say that I am not comparing Ghandi to a monkey, but comparing a monkey to Ghandi. I am not disrespecting Ghandi; I think Ghandi was awesome.[/url]


Today I am wearing my Ghandi shirt, which indeed has him smiling contentedly.  The one thing I hate is when I accidentally spill the food I am eating on Ghandi's face.  He just keeps on smiling benevolently, and I feel bad, because it's usually something greasy and un-
Ghandi like, and it's like a subtle reminder that I am a slob, especially compaired to Ghandi.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Body Worlds Exhibit - Human Bodies perserved & displayed
« Reply #112 on: December 06, 2005, 06:12:07 pm »

To make up for it you have to spill some eggplant on the shirt. Balances out the Mojo.
Logged
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]   Go Up