Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

What we need more of is science.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: I Gave Thanks and All I Got Was This Lousy Post  (Read 2343 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
I Gave Thanks and All I Got Was This Lousy Post
« on: November 27, 2005, 06:59:17 am »

Hey, so how was Thanksgiving for everyone? Maybe we covered this all in the "things I am thankful for" thread, but I didn't notice it.
Mine was pretty fun/uneventful. I slept in late, woke up, hung out with my parents, ate dinner at my uncles with almost all of my extended family (we had 6 turkeys, one of which was 20 lbs, and 5 different cakes, as well as 2 types of stuffing. DECADENCE IN THE MIDWEST!) and spent the night hanging out at Meijer, where I found out about these cute little bastards (sorry about the Tripod link; the sheer earnestness of this site is worth it). They are tiny hamsters. Like a normal hamster shrunk down to the size of a Matchbox car.
My friend Busse and I were kicking it at Meijer, looking for Christmas gifts, when we walked by the "Pets" department, which, we were suprised to find, didn't stock merely pet equipment; no, it stocks actual PETS. And the birds were all blocked off and asleep, but the hamsters and mice and TINY ADORABLE HAMSTERS were all running amok. The display case holding the dwarf hamsters was actually broken, so I could reach inside, so I thought about stealing a few before I decided not to strike a decisive blow against the Man's tiny hamster supply.
Anyway, I want one.
So what did you people do? I am interested, and I also kind of want to talk about Beatrice's new sig at some point. What is it? What does it mean? Whose car?
ALL SHALL BE REVEALED.
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
I Gave Thanks and All I Got Was This Lousy Post
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2005, 07:31:04 am »

I worked my ass off.

Thanksgiving was at our house this year.  We had my parents, my brother, my cousin, her husband and son.

You have to understand that we are pretty much huge slobs.  So it takes a fair amount of effort to clean up after two aging hippies, two teenaged girls, five dogs, four cats and various undocumented lower mammal invaders.  But we had plenty of notice so it got done.  I was still mopping and waxing on Thursday and my back aches today, but it got done.

We got out the good china and crystal.  I think we've used the china about 4 times in the 17 years of our marriage.  We spent hours readying the dining room which we normally use as storage/gift wrapping space.

And I cooked.  I cooked my ass off.  AB would be proud of me.  I bought/thawed/brined/rubbed/stuffed/grilled/roasted/sliced/served/ate/dealtwith thecarcassof/ at 22 pound turkey.   It was (if I do say so myself) terrific.  I also made stuffing, green beans, corn pudding, sweet potatoes (my traditional Thanksgiving dish), mashed potatoes, iced tea, crudites and scalloped oysters.  My Mom brought two pies and cauliflower.  My cousin brought another dish of stuffing and ABC casserole.  Also beer cheese.

The food was good.

Actually, the whole day was good.  I worked my ass off, and I'm still recovering (physically at least).  Everything went off without a hitch.  The food was (according to all reviews) great.  Family interactions were relaxed and pleasant.  Our house was inviting and comfortable with just the right mixture of formality and relaxation.

This has been a very difficult year for me.  Hosting such a pleasant and succesful occasion has provided closure for 2005 and an optomistic shove to my new aspirations.  Good news (or positive vibrations, or whatever) is quite welcome these days.

Anyway, I give thanks.  I am not a religious person, but I am a sincere believer.  I believe religion is a (highly flawed) human invention.  On the other hand, I'm sure that there is a higher order in our cosmos that we are duty bound (and biologically bound) to discover.  I am positive that this higher order is what we perceive as "good".   Thus, I have faith.  

Fuck.  I don't know how I got from my Thanksgiving menu to my deepest personal metaphysics, but hey, there it is.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

antioch

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 185
  • fuggedaboudit!
    • View Profile
    • Facehugger Records
I Gave Thanks and All I Got Was This Lousy Post
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2005, 07:31:57 am »

*effiminate shriek from being overwhelmed by cuteness*
Man, this is too much. I feel like that guy with the shrink ray on Harvey Birdman: Attorney at Law.

 TG05 was pretty solid. I ate some vegetable curry pot-pie for a main dish and various rich, breaded sides. I spent most of the day working on a
project. Didn't make much progress, though.

edit: woah, we posted on the exact same minute, AugustWest! Man, that is special. I hope to eat with my extended family again some day. Hopefully it will go as smoothly as your Thanksgiving did. With my family, rolls catch on fire, or it rains on our outdoor-cooking experiment. This year, butter from a pan of extremely buttery croisants dripped in the oven - causing a fire which hot-boxed our kitchen and living room. Thankfully, the smoke cleared fast.
Logged
I am older now.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
I Gave Thanks and All I Got Was This Lousy Post
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2005, 11:28:01 am »

I had a wonderful Thanksgiving.  I went to my Sisters House and ate lots of food.  We all went to see Harry Potter together.  As we were leaving I took a Family Portrait for fun.  I made the mashed potatoes.  The next day we all went to my Uncle's country place and we climed a mountain.  Tonight I saw a really good band play old school rock.  The  guitar player was really great.  The drummer was bad ass as well.  Tomorrow i'm going back to the same place to see the New Birth Brass Band from New Orleans.  They are Katrina evacuees and they are fantastic.  All in all It's been a great weekend.  I didn't have any fights with my family, it's all good.  I have lots to be thankful for.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

V-Adore

  • Guest
I Gave Thanks and All I Got Was This Lousy Post
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2005, 06:17:13 pm »

It's been a pretty good holiday. As has been the tradition since I settled on the East Coast, I spent the holiday with The SO's family; they have been, as always, gracious and welcoming (and nerdy) hosts. It's been pretty low-key, all told: the foodfest, a shopping trip (on Grey Wednesday, for the record), games, watching nerdy TV shows and eating Chinese take-out on the couch, that sort of thing. Is all good.
Logged

Hobo Frenzy

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 222
  • fuck*ng Moto Guzzi
    • View Profile
    • the best site in the universe
I Gave Thanks and All I Got Was This Lousy Post
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2005, 09:24:04 pm »

My thanksgiving weekend was very eventful, also fun. On TG I went to my aunt's house with my entire Cuban side of the family to celebrate and eat. We still have the normal turkey, mashed potatoes, stuffing, cranberries deal going on but it had a slightly Cuban side to it. Mainly the black beans and rice, fried bananas and flan de leche which you can never avoid at one of my family reunions. The most interesting thing that I ate was probably pumpkin soup with lobster. Hot damn that was good! I was scared at first because pumpkin soup doesnt sound all that good but trust me if you ever get the chance go for it.

On Sunday I went to a fondue party. That was a lot of fun. Started off with two cheese dips. One was a cheddar with beer and some other cheese the other was a swiss and red wine mixture. The wine one kinda sucked. Then came the meats. They had three large Woks heating peanut oil in them. You got your choice of either raw chicken, beef, pork or shrimp and the option of batter. You then cooked the meat in the wok. Then there was a variety of dipping sauces. That was delicious but the best was dessert. A chocolate and a caramel fondue. Oreos, marshmallows, apples, strawberries, grahmcrackers the works. It was some of the most delicious food I've had and it was a damn fun environment too. Mainly because most the people there were drunk off jagerbombs about 2 hours into the whole thing. Fondue parties rock.
Logged
Hey, what's this? Cursive?

AlohaDawg

  • Moderator
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
I Gave Thanks and All I Got Was This Lousy Post
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2005, 09:28:36 pm »

Quote from: "Hobo Frenzy"
My thanksgiving weekend was very eventful, also fun. On TG I went to my aunt's house with my entire Cuban side of the family to celebrate and eat. We still have the normal turkey, mashed potatoes, stuffing, cranberries deal going on but it had a slightly Cuban side to it. Mainly the black beans and rice, fried bananas and flan de leche which you can never avoid at one of my family reunions. The most interesting thing that I ate was probably pumpkin soup with lobster. Hot damn that was good! I was scared at first because pumpkin soup doesnt sound all that good but trust me if you ever get the chance go for it.

On Sunday I went to a fondue party. That was a lot of fun. Started off with two cheese dips. One was a cheddar with beer and some other cheese the other was a swiss and red wine mixture. The wine one kinda sucked. Then came the meats. They had three large Woks heating peanut oil in them. You got your choice of either raw chicken, beef, pork or shrimp and the option of batter. You then cooked the meat in the wok. Then there was a variety of dipping sauces. That was delicious but the best was dessert. A chocolate and a caramel fondue. Oreos, marshmallows, apples, strawberries, grahmcrackers the works. It was some of the most delicious food I've had and it was a damn fun environment too. Mainly because most the people there were drunk off jagerbombs about 2 hours into the whole thing. Fondue parties rock.


Yeah they do, but I wouldn't want any drunks around 300 degree cheese or 400 degree oil.

There used to be this great fondue restaurant in Mentor OH we used to go to though. It is a lot of fun.
Logged

Lister

  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 101
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 892
  • 2, 4, 6, 8, time to transubstantiate!
    • View Profile
I Gave Thanks and All I Got Was This Lousy Post
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2005, 01:10:36 am »

I did something incredibly stupid and went to the wrong gate for my flight, but they did find a way to get me across the country, and that day, even.  It just took me an extra six hours.

Thanksgiving was at my oldest sister's house again, and it was awesome.  Their house has kind of become our default gathering place since my parents moved away, since a) it's the biggest, b) they're the only ones with children, c) she's the best cook of all of us, and d) they live across the street from his parents so it's easy for them to see everyone.

All in all we had 13 people for the meal, plus visits from the older brother-in-law's family.  We played croquet, and my nephew, who is three, won (Daddy helped).  We mostly just had the classics: turkey, cornbread dressing*, sweet potatoes, onion casserole, cranberry sauce (canned, because fresh isn't traditional), mini-biscuits, chocolate cheesecake, and pecan pie.

I ended up being on the ground in Birmingham for 35 hours, but most of my time was spent with the kids, so that was awesome.  The oldest niece grew two inches since I'd seen her last, and of course the difference between two and three in the youngest is amazing.  I never really understood the "kids grow up so fast" saying before this.

*Yum.**

Anyway, the moral is: if you're going to wait at the wrong gate for your flight, schedule one early in the day so there are lots of opportunities to rearrange it.

**YUM.
Logged
Lister.  Not that one, the other one.
Pages: [1]   Go Up