Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Did you know...
That Word Front, the kind host of TOUAMB.com, offers high quality t-shirts for sale?

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Notice what I've done: 11-30-05  (Read 6981 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

aparrish

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 115
    • View Profile
    • http://myth.livejournal.com/
Notice what I've done: 11-30-05
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2005, 08:40:01 pm »

Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
Quote from: "aparrish"
Ray chewing in a more satisfactory way
Sarcasm noted


I meant that the chewing looked better in panel 8 (which I now realize isn't just "chewing" but "disgusted chewing").  Yeah, in panel 10 it looks like big O just cut and pasted Ray from the Waterbury strip.  Chewing?  Looks more like his tongue is trying to escape through his cheek.
Logged

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Notice what I've done: 11-30-05
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2005, 08:42:26 pm »

I meant the Meh and saying that the Cheatlloaf Tasting was somehow inferior to the Stork/Burrito/Todd/Van trainwreck  was sarcastic, although I fear perhaps it wasn't.
Logged

evan

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 154
    • View Profile
    • http://www.i-got-problems.com
Notice what I've done: 11-30-05
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2005, 09:11:55 pm »

Quote from: "carlosdelvaca"
The right thing to do would have been to make the strip link to an explanation of who the hell Carolus Linnaeus was.

If you don't know who Carolus Linnaeus was maybe this isn't the right comic for you. Don't feel bad, there's always The Born Loser.
Logged

arkabee

  • VIP
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 153
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1280
  • i still hate the new forum software.
    • View Profile
Notice what I've done: 11-30-05
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2005, 09:23:40 pm »

Quote from: "evan"
Quote from: "carlosdelvaca"
The right thing to do would have been to make the strip link to an explanation of who the hell Carolus Linnaeus was.

If you don't know who Carolus Linnaeus was maybe this isn't the right comic for you. Don't feel bad, there's always The Born Loser.


and then there's also always kissing my ass.
Logged
"God forbid I'd ever be separated from my Duran Duran for a single minute!"
-August West
"Maybe Hanson or the Jonas Brothers might finally lose their shit one day."
-Nabubrush

Hobo Frenzy

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 222
  • fuck*ng Moto Guzzi
    • View Profile
    • the best site in the universe
Notice what I've done: 11-30-05
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2005, 09:53:26 pm »

damnit, I didn't know who Carolus Linnaeus was and I've been reading and enjoying this comic too. I guess I better stick to Family Circus because I DO know who god is.
Logged
Hey, what's this? Cursive?

Mantonio

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 423
    • View Profile
Notice what I've done: 11-30-05
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2005, 10:57:58 pm »

Quote from: "evan"
Quote from: "carlosdelvaca"
The right thing to do would have been to make the strip link to an explanation of who the hell Carolus Linnaeus was.

If you don't know who Carolus Linnaeus was maybe this isn't the right comic for you. Don't feel bad, there's always The Born Loser.


Are you hating on The Born Loser? Why? I mean, the fat guy has a mean boss who never gives him a raise yet has bags of gold coins stacked around his desk. Then sometimes the fat guy is at the bus stop and it starts to rain. Oh, and theres that tramp who's always got a saucy retort for the judge.
Logged

mudokon

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 5
    • View Profile
Notice what I've done: 11-30-05
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2005, 11:34:08 pm »

This Born Loser sounds like a good comic. Where can I read The Born Loser? Newspapers?
Logged

Mantonio

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 423
    • View Profile
Notice what I've done: 11-30-05
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2005, 11:43:53 pm »

Quote from: "mudokon"
This Born Loser sounds like a good comic. Where can I read The Born Loser? Newspapers?


Yea, right next to Big Nate and Rose is Rose.
Logged

LCB

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 113
  • ...when you get the blues in the night
    • View Profile
Notice what I've done: 11-30-05
« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2005, 12:00:29 am »

Well, at least Pat decided to out and out tell them it was "Cheatloaf" instead of trying the old trick many a high-strung militant vegan has pulled on their family and (in some cases soon to be ex-)friends, the "Here, eat up! AHA IT WAS A VEGETARIAN BEST-ITUTE I SERVED YOU, NOT REGULAR HAMBURGER/PIZZA/TUNA CASSEROLE/ETC.! Were you fooled? Are you ready to convert?" bit, whether they are trying to convert or trying out a new dish they made or picked up at the local vegan co-op grocery run by filthy over-mellow hippies. Even some other hardcore vegans think that this is a lame thing to do.

But I suppose it was more an ego thing for Pat. "Of course they'll like it. I prepared it with carefully calculated precision, and it is good for them! They'll doubtless savor the flavor and notice how carefully I blended the ingredients."

I eagerly await the Journey Into Reason followup.
Logged
Which way to the vomitorium, centurion?

MattFish

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 43
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 371
  • A perch with a cramp / Half-pound ahi burger
    • View Profile
Notice what I've done: 11-30-05
« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2005, 01:23:33 am »

Quote from: "LCB"
But I suppose it was more an ego thing for Pat. "Of course they'll like it. I prepared it with carefully calculated precision, and it is good for them! They'll doubtless savor the flavor and notice how carefully I blended the ingredients."


I don't think he'd say that because savor and flavor rhyme and rhyming is too plebian and hack-poetish.
Logged
I finally found a nice picture of a giraffe

madhatte

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6
  • CRONK WANT PUPPET PALS
    • View Profile
    • I am a plant geek.
Notice what I've done: 11-30-05
« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2005, 02:19:32 am »

I am for real honest-to-god big on taxonomy and the Linnaeus bit made me almost crap myself with delight.  I am neither kidding nor exaggerating. It has happened before.
Logged
"Like all good things, it starts with a monkey."  --  Penny Arcade

robot_god

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 74
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1195
  • Oh my gosh, dude.
    • View Profile
    • ALP Myspace Site
Notice what I've done: 11-30-05
« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2005, 02:31:26 am »

My schitty chicken!

No, not the schitty schrimp!
Logged
ACHIEVE

Lister

  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 101
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 892
  • 2, 4, 6, 8, time to transubstantiate!
    • View Profile
Notice what I've done: 11-30-05
« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2005, 03:26:19 am »

Jokes that reference things are funny in inverse proportion to how many people get the reference.  I think there's just an inherent amount of funny to be had in any joke, and the more people get it the more it is diluted.

This is why I loved this strip, because my funny joke about Linneus was not diluted by all those people who don't know who he isoh crap i sound like pat now.

It's like "you had to be there" stories.  If you were there, it's fuck*ng hilarious.  If you weren't, it's mildly amusing at best.

Why am I lecturing?  This was teh funnay.  I LOL'ed.  Waffles were duly roffled.  Asses were laughed off, people.  OFF!
Logged
Lister.  Not that one, the other one.

MattFish

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 43
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 371
  • A perch with a cramp / Half-pound ahi burger
    • View Profile
Notice what I've done: 11-30-05
« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2005, 02:16:43 pm »

Quote from: "Lister"
Why am I lecturing?  This was teh funnay.  I LOL'ed.  Waffles were duly roffled.  Asses were laughed off, people.  OFF!


The asses, they reside so very, very far away!
Logged
I finally found a nice picture of a giraffe

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Notice what I've done: 11-30-05
« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2005, 11:22:17 pm »

I didn't even realise it was Pat until he said 'Cheatloaf'. Also note that he is writing notes before they taste it but not after. Probably noting how they are obviously entranced by the tender meal before them.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up