Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

“Do what you love and the money will follow,” as they say, but I would add, “...but don’t do ONLY what you love until it generates adequate cash flow.” -=RAY=-

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Guilty Pleasure Webcomics  (Read 6943 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

V-Adore

  • Guest
Guilty Pleasure Webcomics
« on: November 30, 2005, 06:40:46 pm »

So, does anyone else out there read terrible webcomics as guilty pleasures? I'll freepy confess I do, although it's less for guilty pleasure than for schadenfreude; there's something reassuring about being able to say "man, my dog could crap a better comic than this."

If you do this too, what are your "favorites?" (If you don't... well, uh, don't judge me, man.) My personal schadenfreude read is Jack, (NSFW) which is wretched in basically every way a webcomic can be: "furry," incredibly inappropriate artstyle (extremely cartoony funny animals in a comic that's supposed to be Dark and Serious and Stuff), gratuitously gory and "adult" for no real reason, sophomorically written and crammed full of half-baked philosophizing, full of artist's friends' characters... and, of course, hugely popular. So much of what I know about how not to write came frm this comic. It's sort of a miracle, in a terrible way.
Logged

mudokon

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 5
    • View Profile
Guilty Pleasure Webcomics
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2005, 07:04:19 pm »

The only webcomics I read semi-regularly are Achewood, Penny Arcade, and Superosity. So I guess the last one would be the black sheep. At least, no one I know admits that they read it.
Logged

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
Re: Guilty Pleasure Webcomics
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2005, 07:51:51 pm »

Quote from: "V-Adore"
...My personal schadenfreude read is Jack...


What the...what...it's like Looney Tunes in Viet Nam!
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Guilty Pleasure Webcomics
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2005, 07:54:55 pm »

The only other webcomic I read is Scary Go Round and actually, as a body of work I like it better over all but Onstad's 10 best strips are all funnier than John Allison's funniest.

However, the presense of TOUAMB makes it necessary for me to put ScaryGoRound below Acehwood in my life's priorities.
Logged

JorgeFabregas

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 93
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1227
  • I was impressed.
    • View Profile
Guilty Pleasure Webcomics
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2005, 08:33:33 pm »

That Jack comic is hugely popular? Is it hugely popular among a very specific demographic?
Logged
And we know who we should love. But we're never certain how.

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Guilty Pleasure Webcomics
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2005, 08:40:37 pm »

Maybe schadenfreude makes it hugely popular.

How else can you explain things like 'Fear Factor', 'Hillbilly Wife Swap' (AKA Trading Spouses), and Cops?
Logged

aparrish

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 115
    • View Profile
    • http://myth.livejournal.com/
Re: Guilty Pleasure Webcomics
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2005, 08:49:32 pm »

Quote from: "V-Adore"
My personal schadenfreude read is Jack, (NSFW)

Bless this man's heart.  He had a vision and he followed through with it.

As for you, V-Adore, why you would inflict this vision on other people - people who up until now had remained blissfully ignorant of it - only God knows.

Only God.
Logged

V-Adore

  • Guest
Guilty Pleasure Webcomics
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2005, 10:26:27 pm »

Quote from: "JorgeFabregas"
That Jack comic is hugely popular? Is it hugely popular among a very specific demographic?

Well, yes. I probably should have attached "among furries who want to think they're dark and intellectual" there. That's still way more people than makes me comfortable.

Quote from: "aparrish"
Bless this man's heart. He had a vision and he followed through with it.

As for you, V-Adore, why you would inflict this vision on other people - people who up until now had remained blissfully ignorant of it - only God knows.

Only God.

Well, hey, if Bobby can do it...

Besides, there was like a paragraph of context there to let you know that you were clicking on something that really, really sucked. I thought I'd successfully covered my ass in that regard.
Logged

Ben-San

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 164
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1259
  • Two-Fisted Detective
    • View Profile
Guilty Pleasure Webcomics
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2005, 10:44:27 pm »

Jack is the thing to read if you want a relatively illustration of "furry subculture as incomprehensible alien entity". Reading something like, say, Sabrina Online, you think "Okay, well, everyone is a skunk or a tiger or whatever, but I'm cool with that, it's basically a webcomic about a nerdy programmer working at a porn studio like any non-furry webcomic creator might make". And then you look at Jack and things just get steadily more divorced from any normal vision of the world, but not in the way the creator wants. It's not the death and divine punishment that shock and baffle, but the idea that it is totally normal for this character to be a third-generation mantis/deer/rabbit hybrid with butterfly wings, and that somehow, to someone, this is loaded with symbolic signifiers about the character. Or that "anyfur" and "everyfur" are logical and useful words. The vengeful fetus ghosts pale in comparison.
Logged

aparrish

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 115
    • View Profile
    • http://myth.livejournal.com/
Guilty Pleasure Webcomics
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2005, 11:01:29 pm »

Quote from: "V-Adore"
there was like a paragraph of context there to let you know that you were clicking on something that really, really sucked. I thought I'd successfully covered my ass in that regard.


I understood that it was supposed to suck.  What I did not understand is that if I started at the beginning of the archives, I would meet Fnar, The Fetus Who Went To Hell.

I also did not understand that I would find all of it strangely compelling, thereby calling into question my most deeply held beliefs about my personality/tenability as an individual.
Logged

Mantonio

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 423
    • View Profile
Guilty Pleasure Webcomics
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2005, 11:21:27 pm »

Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Guilty Pleasure Webcomics
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2005, 01:41:33 am »

I pretty much only read Achewood and Concerned, which is only funny if you've played Half-Life 2 and/or Counter-Strike for many, many hours.

Great game, great comic.

Hobo Frenzy

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 222
  • fuck*ng Moto Guzzi
    • View Profile
    • the best site in the universe
Guilty Pleasure Webcomics
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2005, 01:50:05 am »

Hahaha, I just started reading Concerned jough. It's pretty funny but probably only because I play way too much CS and Half Life.
Logged
Hey, what's this? Cursive?

JorgeFabregas

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 93
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1227
  • I was impressed.
    • View Profile
Re: Guilty Pleasure Webcomics
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2005, 06:17:52 am »

Quote from: "aparrish"
Quote from: "V-Adore"
My personal schadenfreude read is Jack, (NSFW)

Bless this man's heart.  He had a vision and he followed through with it.


As far as I can tell, all the comics are more or less the same
Panel 1: something vaguely positive or some neutral personal interaction happens
Later panel: something terrible happens. Someone dies, or it would seem they may die.
Logged
And we know who we should love. But we're never certain how.

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
Guilty Pleasure Webcomics
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2005, 12:52:00 pm »

I used to read Diesel Sweeties on the regular, but now it's pretty much just Achewood. I'll go back and read DS when I have an "Oh shit!" moment and remember it's there.
Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up