Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Have some dignity.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Weezer and Onstad are in loooooove.  (Read 13820 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Mite

  • Motel 6 Kind of Girl
  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 6
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 584
    • View Profile
Weezer and Onstad are in loooooove.
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2003, 10:51:00 pm »

Quote from: "jough"
but are you saying that their Pinkerton album is based on Madame Butterfly?


Well, emphasis on loosely based. The last track, Butterfly, is pretty clearly taken entirely from Madama Butterfly. It's sorta Pinkerton's apology, but it's also where Rivers Cuomo (lead singer/songwriter) admits that, despite the "chicks are out to get you" theme of most indie rock, he's far from an innocent victim. "I told you I would return/ when the robin makes his nest" is the most explicit quote.

The rest of the album periodically references the opera, "Listenin' to Cio Cio San/ Fall in love all over again" in El Scorcho, for instance. Are there allusions in Tired of Sex or Pink Triangle? If so I can't find 'em. But yeah, Butterfly was the inspiration for the record.

It's the only Weezer album I own, and there have been periods of my life where it doesn't leave my player for days. I highly recommend giving it a shot.

My love can heal you Rivers, I just know it!
</nerd>
Logged
I'm no longer a Bankhead teacher, but I'll still take your cookies.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Weezer and Onstad are in loooooove.
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2003, 11:55:54 pm »

Quote from: "jough"
I've never heard the Weezer album (or any Weezer album - which would you suggest I listen to first?)

The Blue Album is the safe answer. It's one of those CD's that 98% of people my age own and is pretty much the only CD I own where I don't skip any of the tracks ever. I can't even say that of TMBG's Flood.
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Weezer and Onstad are in loooooove.
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2003, 01:20:00 am »

That's the one with "Buddy Holly" on it?  I liked that song/video.

It came with the original Windows 95 CD.  No kidding.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Weezer and Onstad are in loooooove.
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2003, 01:45:51 am »

Quote from: "jough"
That's the one with "Buddy Holly" on it?  I liked that song/video.

It came with the original Windows 95 CD.  No kidding.


Right, the Blue Album (technically it's Weezer - Weezer) has Buddy Holly, Undone-The Sweater Song, and Say It Ain't So as radio singles plus a buch of other easy hits.
Logged

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Weezer and Onstad are in loooooove.
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2003, 02:15:30 am »

Quote from: "jough"
That's the one with "Buddy Holly" on it?  I liked that song/video.

It came with the original Windows 95 CD.  No kidding.


Yea I remember that. It was a great video, very well done, but that and the overplaying of it (partly I think due to the video - 'cause it's not their best song) killed it somewhat for me.
It also has My Name is Jonas which is a superb song. And as mentioned just above me here, Say it Ain't So, which is excellent.
There was another I thought was great ad would mention but I can't remember what it is and can't be bothered loading web pages right now...
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Weezer and Onstad are in loooooove.
« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2003, 03:22:38 pm »

I had that album (the blue one) on tape.  I friend of mine copied it for me (in the days before CD burners) as a last-ditch effort to make me listen to pop music in high school.  It was extremely awesome, in that feel-good kind of way.  It brings back memories of riding home from school in a sky-blue Saab with no radio so we had to play tapes in Jenni's tinny-sounding boom box in the back seat.  Heh, and then there was the time we made Brian ride home in the trunk...yeah, those were the days.  

No, wait, high school sucked.  But the soundtrack was pretty cool.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Weezer and Onstad are in loooooove.
« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2003, 05:00:02 pm »

Oh dear.  You were in *high school* when that came out?

I feel old.

satchel

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 108
    • View Profile
wonder
« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2003, 05:23:34 pm »

This makes me wonder who in the Weezer camp reads Achewood. I’m surprised that Weezer gives a shit about being in some obscure web comic.
Logged
[size=10]Remember when Buffy's mom grounded her, sighing that the world wasn't going to end if Buffy didn't go out with her friends that night? But the world really was going to end![/size]

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Weezer and Onstad are in loooooove.
« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2003, 05:25:37 pm »

I don't think the band members actually build their own web site - but someone must have tipped them off.

Could Onstad be geek enough to send them e-mail telling them that he mentioned them in his little comic?

I mean, he's geek enough to mention that Weezer mentioned his mention of them on their web site.  The only way that exchange could be more geeky is if Weezer mentioned that Onstad mentioned their mention of his mention of them on the Weezer site.

Hobbes

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 5
    • View Profile
Weezer and Onstad are in loooooove.
« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2003, 06:17:34 am »

Quote from: "jough"
Could Onstad be geek enough to send them e-mail telling them that he mentioned them in his little comic?


I think if he did that he would've linked to weezer.com's mention of it a hell of a lot sooner.
Logged

mwn8989

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 4
    • View Profile
    • http://www.lacrosseforums.com
Weezer and Onstad are in loooooove.
« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2003, 07:02:19 pm »

ive been listening to weezer since i was 5 years old (that being 1994) and remember being floored even at that age by the sounds i was hearing, and was only further amazed at pinkerton. Although the disappointing green album was quite sub par, its sales at least gave weezer some mainstream recognition, and will hopefully allow more people to access their better albums such as pinkerton (which is HORRIBLY under recognized for being what I would consider one of the greatest albums out there, except for those few and far between TRUE weezer fans), oh and Maladroit wasnt too bad, i liked American Gigolo and Love Explosion, but nothing will compare to Pinkerton. :D
Logged
Tube soxx rokk

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
Weezer and Onstad are in loooooove.
« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2003, 07:07:21 pm »

Quote from: "mwn8989"
ive been listening to weezer since i was 5 years old


Egad.
Logged
goose means greedy

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Weezer and Onstad are in loooooove.
« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2003, 07:51:39 pm »

I've got shoes older than that.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Weezer and Onstad are in loooooove.
« Reply #28 on: September 07, 2003, 09:55:34 pm »

I've got concert shirts older than that.
I've got an '89 Ciera in my driveway.
Logged

V-Adore

  • Guest
Weezer and Onstad are in loooooove.
« Reply #29 on: September 07, 2003, 10:52:03 pm »

Man, even I feel old now. And here I had myself pegged as the Whippersnapper[tm] of this board...
Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up