Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Wombat is MAD WITH POWER.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Grandpa Got Run Over By A Blog- December Blogs  (Read 20700 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Thee

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 51
  • I adidas Rio
    • View Profile
    • New England Fashion Update!
Grandpa Got Run Over By A Blog- December Blogs
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2005, 07:57:59 pm »

Reposts strike me as lame, but to give 'stead credit, that was a good bit of writing.  I, too, would be proud of it.
Logged
R U Passionate??

Bobby Isosceles

  • Guest
Grandpa Got Run Over By A Blog- December Blogs
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2005, 09:50:42 pm »

Quote from: "V-Adore"
Quote from: "miles"
So, Bobby mentioned it, but why is PBR such a hipster thing?

As I understand it, it's the hipster appropriation of symbols of the underclass -- basically, the same reason that trucker hats were popular and '70's-style retro advertising t-shirts are big now. Consciously adopting products seen as "shoddy" or "gauche" despite having better means reflects a certain hip irony, I think.

Feel free to correct me, people who actually know things about this.


you've poured me an overflowing carafe of Haterade there
Logged

V-Adore

  • Guest
Grandpa Got Run Over By A Blog- December Blogs
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2005, 10:09:09 pm »

Quote from: "Bobby Isosceles"
Quote from: "V-Adore"
Quote from: "miles"
So, Bobby mentioned it, but why is PBR such a hipster thing?

As I understand it, it's the hipster appropriation of symbols of the underclass -- basically, the same reason that trucker hats were popular and '70's-style retro advertising t-shirts are big now. Consciously adopting products seen as "shoddy" or "gauche" despite having better means reflects a certain hip irony, I think.

Feel free to correct me, people who actually know things about this.


you've poured me an overflowing carafe of Haterade there

I love you too, Toroid. May your cup always runneth over.
Logged

Bobby Isosceles

  • Guest
Grandpa Got Run Over By A Blog- December Blogs
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2005, 02:01:12 am »

Quote from: "V-Adore"
Quote from: "Bobby Isosceles"
Quote from: "V-Adore"
Quote from: "miles"
So, Bobby mentioned it, but why is PBR such a hipster thing?

As I understand it, it's the hipster appropriation of symbols of the underclass -- basically, the same reason that trucker hats were popular and '70's-style retro advertising t-shirts are big now. Consciously adopting products seen as "shoddy" or "gauche" despite having better means reflects a certain hip irony, I think.

Feel free to correct me, people who actually know things about this.


you've poured me an overflowing carafe of Haterade there

I love you too, Toroid. May your cup always runneth over.


You are absolutely right, though, Adopting and commercializing signs of the underclass is that disgusts me most about hipsters. Also I hate their aesthetics, contrarian attitudes and I'm going to spin out of control if I don't stop now.
Logged

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Grandpa Got Run Over By A Blog- December Blogs
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2005, 02:07:14 am »

So if someone who is genuinely broke drinks PBR it is OK?

Just like if someone wears a trucker hat because he is a trucker I guess.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

V-Adore

  • Guest
Grandpa Got Run Over By A Blog- December Blogs
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2005, 02:23:10 am »

Quote from: "miles"
So if someone who is genuinely broke drinks PBR it is OK?

Just like if someone wears a trucker hat because he is a trucker I guess.

I think about it this way: if you genuinely like whatever you're doing, I'm okay with that. But if you hate it and are doing it ironically (and think that doing it nonironically is terminally lame), then fie on you.
Logged

Hobo Frenzy

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 222
  • fuck*ng Moto Guzzi
    • View Profile
    • the best site in the universe
Grandpa Got Run Over By A Blog- December Blogs
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2005, 03:58:45 am »

here here! V-Adore I'm in complete agreement with you. I hate those kind of trends and uh oh...i think i feel a rant coming...no wait false alarm it's just a story.

Let me tell a little tale. I'm a bit of a tight wad, I'm frugal (that's a better way of saying it) so I look for the best deals and consider the price over the style 90% of the time. So I wore Converse Chuck Taylor's and (even still) I buy a lot of my clothing at Thrift stores. Now about 4 years ago (maybe? approx?) those two things became ever so popular. It was the trend to look cheap. Did it effect me? Hell no, I kept on shopping at thrift stores and continued to lace up my Chucks. Because it's just as bad, in my eyes, if you change your life either away or towards a trend. Eventually this Chuck Taylor craze took a turn for the worst and the price jumped to like, what is it now, $45 or $50? For rubber and canvas? Those shoes are so poorly made it's sad! So some acquaintances say "mang, you can't wear this and that blah blah, it's so trendy! You gotta be original (dawg)!" And I say to them "Dude I'm so original (cartman voice) I wear what I want! I wear what I want!"

Yeah for a while I was trying to make this story relevant to the topic but I think I failed and probably ended up just confusing people. Thanks for reading though!
Logged
Hey, what's this? Cursive?

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Grandpa Got Run Over By A Blog- December Blogs
« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2005, 03:58:51 am »

Quote from: "miles"
So if someone who is genuinely broke drinks PBR it is OK?

What if someone actually likes PBR?  Is it ok to drink it then?

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Grandpa Got Run Over By A Blog- December Blogs
« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2005, 04:43:44 am »

Quote from: "Hobo Frenzy"
Let me tell a little tale. I'm a bit of a tight wad, I'm frugal (that's a better way of saying it) so I look for the best deals and consider the price over the style 90% of the time. So I wore Converse Chuck Taylor's and (even still) I buy a lot of my clothing at Thrift stores. Now about 4 years ago (maybe? approx?) those two things became ever so popular. It was the trend to look cheap.


Must be on some kind of cycle because it was cool to look cheap when I was in Jr. High/High School (about 8-13 years ago).
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Grandpa Got Run Over By A Blog- December Blogs
« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2005, 05:08:00 am »

hm, so.
the saddest thing:

Oh, yeah, bye man. Hey wait, rock/paper/scissors. Yeah, I know you said you wouldn't bet any more money. What, are you afraid I'll win? Just like 5$! That's all! OK, ok, ok. Rock, paper, scissors... shit. Yeah, ok. So what did I say? 5$? Here it is. No, no man, it's cool, it's cool, you won it, it's yours. Yeah, I think you'd better leave now. Bye.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

ndpatel

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 5
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 132
    • View Profile
    • http://www.sixtyeights.com
Grandpa Got Run Over By A Blog- December Blogs
« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2005, 04:29:53 pm »

Quote from: "miles"
Quote from: "Hobo Frenzy"
Let me tell a little tale. I'm a bit of a tight wad, I'm frugal (that's a better way of saying it) so I look for the best deals and consider the price over the style 90% of the time. So I wore Converse Chuck Taylor's and (even still) I buy a lot of my clothing at Thrift stores. Now about 4 years ago (maybe? approx?) those two things became ever so popular. It was the trend to look cheap.


Must be on some kind of cycle because it was cool to look cheap when I was in Jr. High/High School (about 8-13 years ago).


chucks have always been cool. that's just the way it is.
Logged

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Grandpa Got Run Over By A Blog- December Blogs
« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2005, 05:58:49 pm »

Certain people just can't wear them unironically though.

Smallish counterculture girls look best in them.



Kind of Like Ally Sheedy in Breakfast Club or Molly Ringwald in Pretty in Pink but, like, WAYYY Cuter
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Grandpa Got Run Over By A Blog- December Blogs
« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2005, 06:03:04 pm »

Personally, I think big ungainly guys with size 12 feet look best in Chucks.  Especially bright red Chucks.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Hobo Frenzy

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 222
  • fuck*ng Moto Guzzi
    • View Profile
    • the best site in the universe
Grandpa Got Run Over By A Blog- December Blogs
« Reply #28 on: December 06, 2005, 06:34:14 pm »

I think Chucks should come back down to a reasonable price so I can wear them again. They are so versitile! I can wear black ones with anything. But for some reason I still have about 6 pairs (all different colors) of them in my closet, too bad their all extreamly old and ripped to hell! Right where your tops start on both sides, that's the point where they all go to broken town. I'll try to get a picture up of my collection.
Logged
Hey, what's this? Cursive?

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
Grandpa Got Run Over By A Blog- December Blogs
« Reply #29 on: December 06, 2005, 06:35:52 pm »

Yeah, also there was that thing where Nike bought out Converse, so not only are they not Edgy, they are also actively part of the evil empire.  Just sayin'.
Logged
goose means greedy
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up