Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood "Supporting" bacon is easy. Who's going to get on the mayonnaise bandwagon with me?

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Grandpa Got Run Over By A Blog- December Blogs  (Read 20662 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

ndpatel

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 5
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 132
    • View Profile
    • http://www.sixtyeights.com
Grandpa Got Run Over By A Blog- December Blogs
« Reply #30 on: December 06, 2005, 11:15:16 pm »

Quote from: "andalucia"
Yeah, also there was that thing where Nike bought out Converse, so not only are they not Edgy, they are also actively part of the evil empire.  Just sayin'.


right now i don't even own a pair of chucks, so i don't know why i am The Dude Who Must Defend Chuck Taylor's Honor, but so be it.

i think the deal is that they're actually just cool shoes, you know? i mean minus the hipster crap, they are aesthetically pleasing things to have on one's feet, plus i always thought them to be rather comfortable.

not everything cool has to be about sticking to the Man, i guess. i mean shit,  it's not like sony even paid the clash until like, four or five years ago, but i still bought all those records, you know?
Logged

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
Grandpa Got Run Over By A Blog- December Blogs
« Reply #31 on: December 07, 2005, 12:04:18 am »

I wear Vans because I used to work someplace where I had to stand behind a counter on a concrete floor for 8 hours. Now I wear Doc Marten's, because I have to stand behind a desk on a thinly-carpeted concrete floor for 8 hours, and I can't wear sneakers. I have Frye boots because I got them 4 years ago and they're still in great condition, some Chucks because they were on ultra-sale at Urban Outfitters and I got them for $10 and...flip-flops? That's basically it. I don't really think about aesthetics, really, although I used to worry that my Vans made it look like I was wearing clown shoes. I know that Women Notice Shoes, but I'm pretty sure that the Women Who Notice Shoes are also the Women I Don't Want To Date.
Apparently VF Corp, the company that makes Vans, are pretty evil, and Doc Martens are made entirely in China now. Frye boots are made entirely in the US, so I can feel okay about owning three pairs (another win from UO ultra sale- $120 boots for $35? Don't mind if I do!).
The whole "sweatshop" issue is techy; the term itself hard to define, although I like the wiki definition, which says that sweatshops are not defined by their locations, but by their working conditions. I've seen it posited that sweatshops are actually a natural stage in the economic evolution of a country; America used to have a shit ton of sweatshops. The problem is, in many places, the economic development of a country has been crippled, specifically to make sweatshops the only viable industry; there is also the problems inherent in sending manufacturing jobs overseas. And, in any case, most people don't work in a sweatshop because they're forced to (although sometimes they are; I've heard such things about sweatshops in Guatemala that are essential forced labor camps, although I haven't seen any facts on the matter and am in fact too lazy to google for them, as this is a conversation that began with cartoon cats); sweatshops are the best jobs around. Forcing companies to just shut down sweatshops is actually worse than keeping them open.
So what are we to do? If we were actually to bankrupt Nike, the situation would be much worse than before. Also, if we just refuse to purchase Nike and other such brands, they can just as well attribute the loss of sales to competition within the marketplace and miss the point entirely. And I never wore Nikes, even before I found out about the sweatshops.
What's the world community to do?  Well, in my perfect totalitarian dictatorship, there would be a world minimum wage, calculated out using the GNP of a country; I'll leave that to people smarter than I. American companies, or even companies that operate branches in America or import to America would have to pay this minimum wage, as well as adhere to regulations regarding working environments, etc. Finally, companies that imported goods into America would have to pay taxes that would make setting up a plant overseas only slightly more economically feasible than setting up one in the States; thus, companies would keep their factories in other countries open, but new factories would be more likely to open in America. Any long-term economic loss would be more than made up for by the good PR created (Chuck Taylors- An American Original, Actually Made By Americans Again!). We'd probably have to throw in there some stuff about factory sizes (no fair just increasing the size of your factories, Nike! Bad Nike!), and we could funnel back most of the import taxes to the country of origin itself, or some sort of international body that could distribute it in a manner positive to the country of origin (as many places that have sweatshops don't have the best government).
Now all I have to do is ally myself with Victor Von Doom, totalitarian monarch of Latveria (apparently, Latveria is a pretty democratic place; they have a Parliament or something. Von Doom does get supreme veto powers, but I've read that he's actually quite sensitive to the needs of Latverians.). With his DoomBots, we can take over the WORLD and make every company act like IKEA! Wobbly CD racks and rancid meatballs for all! That is, as long as that dastardly Reed Richards and Squirrel Girl don't get in our way!
DAMN YOU SQUIRREL GIRLLLLLL!!!!!
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Grandpa Got Run Over By A Blog- December Blogs
« Reply #32 on: December 07, 2005, 05:29:04 am »

I wear New Balance shoes because I wear a EEEE and nobody else makes that shit.

Also, I didn't realize that Squirrel Girl was different from The Flying Squirrel (who is so minor that she doesn't yet have a wiki page).
Logged

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
Grandpa Got Run Over By A Blog- December Blogs
« Reply #33 on: December 07, 2005, 06:36:39 am »

Quote from: "CortJstr"
Also, I didn't realize that Squirrel Girl was different from The Flying Squirrel (who is so minor that she doesn't yet have a wiki page).


Not to be confused with Die Fledermaus.
Did I mention I love wikipedia? I love wikipedia.
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!

Mantonio

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 423
    • View Profile
Grandpa Got Run Over By A Blog- December Blogs
« Reply #34 on: December 07, 2005, 04:21:13 pm »

Molly needs to do a better job of understanding her man. And Beef shouldn't be so worried about waking her up to retrieve his late-night snack.
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Grandpa Got Run Over By A Blog- December Blogs
« Reply #35 on: December 07, 2005, 04:27:32 pm »

I'm glad we finally got this entry. As soon as Beef mentioned his list you knew Molly had to react to it eventually.

Cilantro sucks.

Edit: New rank, bitches! How ya like me now?
Logged

Biz Markizzle

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 73
    • View Profile
Grandpa Got Run Over By A Blog- December Blogs
« Reply #36 on: December 07, 2005, 04:45:46 pm »

Beef's post gave me a nostalgic feeling on account of I grew up about 30 seconds from a Tom's of Maine factory and store. Their chips are pretty good. One time when I was in 3rd grade I think we went on a fieldtrip to the factory and it was one of the most boring fieldtrips ever. We didn't even get free stuff. Not even toothpaste!
Logged
Even my superficial raps are super official.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Grandpa Got Run Over By A Blog- December Blogs
« Reply #37 on: December 07, 2005, 05:03:29 pm »

Oh Beef, Beef.  The chips story, it is the saddest thing.

But um, Tom's the toothpaste company makes chips?  I actually use their toothpaste religiously but it never occurred to me to think "Hey, you know what these people should make?  Snack foods!"

Edit:  Cort!  I bow down before your majesty!
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

MattFish

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 43
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 371
  • A perch with a cramp / Half-pound ahi burger
    • View Profile
Grandpa Got Run Over By A Blog- December Blogs
« Reply #38 on: December 07, 2005, 06:17:33 pm »

Okay, I think I see where this is going. Molly and Little Nephew working at Starbucks together. Violence ensues.
Logged
I finally found a nice picture of a giraffe

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
Grandpa Got Run Over By A Blog- December Blogs
« Reply #39 on: December 07, 2005, 06:46:26 pm »

Quote from: "CortJstr"
Edit: New rank, bitches! How ya like me now?


God. Keep us informed when you move over into the Q Continuum.
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
Grandpa Got Run Over By A Blog- December Blogs
« Reply #40 on: December 07, 2005, 07:09:10 pm »

Man, I have never seen Tom's of Maine chips, but I would be all over that if they are as bracingly enjoyable as their toothpaste, and especially if they don't come in an unnecessarily sturdy sharp metal tube.
Logged
goose means greedy

V-Adore

  • Guest
Grandpa Got Run Over By A Blog- December Blogs
« Reply #41 on: December 07, 2005, 07:19:09 pm »

Quote from: "Teodor"
Lately, I've been trying to pin down what makes an "Asian" flavored coleslaw tick (don't you just love how since the Blog Quality Bar has been set so low, I can mention this entirely without a segue, and it will seem like high literature simply because there are no misspellings and you can't tell which band I'm listening to?).

Sad(dest thing) but true.
Logged

Mantonio

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 423
    • View Profile
Grandpa Got Run Over By A Blog- December Blogs
« Reply #42 on: December 07, 2005, 07:40:53 pm »

Quote from: "Mattgiraffe"
Okay, I think I see where this is going. Molly and Little Nephew working at Starbucks together. Violence ensues.


Oh, man I totally forgot LN worked there. He's probably gonna end up being her supervisor.
Logged

Biz Markizzle

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 73
    • View Profile
Grandpa Got Run Over By A Blog- December Blogs
« Reply #43 on: December 07, 2005, 09:55:07 pm »

No, I've never actually seen or heard of Tom's of Maine chips of any sort. I know they do make salt and vinegar flavored toothpaste, but actual chips?  I wonder if they are real. Maybe someone with better internet research skills can investigate this. I know there is a company called Tom's Foods that makes chips and other...foods...but as far as I know they have nothing to do with Maine?
Logged
Even my superficial raps are super official.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Grandpa Got Run Over By A Blog- December Blogs
« Reply #44 on: December 08, 2005, 12:50:53 am »

There used to be a snack food company called Tom's.  You'd usually find their stuff in the less refined vending machines.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up