Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Ray Smuckles pours one out for Tiger's '09 Escalade. "Shit didn't have to be that way, Tiger. You coulda' taken the damn Buick."

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: So... who wants a mixtape?  (Read 14078 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
So... who wants a mixtape?
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2005, 02:09:33 pm »

Damnit mix tapes sound like an awesome idea, but I'm fairly sure all would mock my total musical tastelessness. Or I'd get spiteful and fill a CD with Zappa and no one wants that.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

V-Adore

  • Guest
So... who wants a mixtape?
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2005, 04:37:11 pm »

Quote from: "Bozack"
Are we doing another trade? Because my tracks are so funky fresh. Fresher than they have ever been.

Well, I wasn't necessarily initiating another trade; I just made this mix anyway, and since I knew I had some karmic debt from the first two mixes, I'm offering it as a way of saying "I'm sorry, Acheboard!" But if people want a swap, that's cool too. (I'll even make another mix just for it.)
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
So... who wants a mixtape?
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2005, 04:39:49 pm »

My previous mix (Something Clever) still exisits in mp3 form. I could put it on my site for DL for anybody who missed it last time. Anybody interested?

I could consider doing another mix but I don't think that it could possibly be as cool.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
So... who wants a mixtape?
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2005, 06:52:57 pm »

Quote from: "Doc"
Damnit mix tapes sound like an awesome idea, but I'm fairly sure all would mock my total musical tastelessness. Or I'd get spiteful and fill a CD with Zappa and no one wants that.


I would.  Maybe we could work up a Zappa only mixtape exchange.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
So... who wants a mixtape?
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2005, 09:16:06 pm »

I once spent a few months tracking down a Zappa bootleg simply because I had gotten twisty with a Very Special Lady with it playing in the background. I got it, and it was just as good. Everyone wants Zappa mix-tapes, man- in fact, since Zappa was so prolific and a lot of his stuff is sort of eclectic- some people might like one track but hate another- a mix of his would be welcomed.
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
So... who wants a mixtape?
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2005, 10:09:06 pm »

My intellectial appreciation of Zappa is on the rise.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
So... who wants a mixtape?
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2005, 02:12:02 pm »

You make *one* damn throw-away comment.....

Although I do enjoy a challenge. So would a Zappa mix tape actually be something people would go for? I make no promises and it would probably take a little bit since I'd have to borrow a bunch of cds of a friend of mine but if people wouldn't respond in horror I'll give it a go.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
So... who wants a mixtape?
« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2005, 05:32:37 pm »

I'm game to make an all Zappa mixtape.  However, there are two provisos.

First, mine will probably be all instrumental.  Second, a few of the recordings will be of rather low-quality.  

Still interested?  Let me know.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
So... who wants a mixtape?
« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2005, 07:16:09 pm »

I think you should make the mixtapes all zappa, and do the vegan-trick.

HAHA! YOU ATE VEGAN FOOD! WASN'T IT JUST AS GOOD! SEE!

Not to mock certain close friends of mine who are vegan and do this very trick, but I doubt very many non-vegans care what is in their food, as long as it is good.

What I'm saying is to trick people with Zappa. I often fantasize about tricking friends/family into liking my music (Dad, listen to this cd I made! it's of old classical rock songs, not at all the crazy indie rock of the 80s! *hands cd which consists entirely of Replacements songs which I think sound "not-as-punk"*)

I'm sorry. the act of actually telling people the criteria for picking songs for a mixtape reminded me of... I dont...

yeah.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

antioch

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 185
  • fuggedaboudit!
    • View Profile
    • Facehugger Records
So... who wants a mixtape?
« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2005, 09:53:14 pm »

Quote from: "theinevitable"
"not-as-punk"*


 Crap, I knew that people on this board would eventually footnote out of our planar spectrum. 4 dimensions only, plz!

 ONE of my fears when making mixtapes is that the person receiving the tape might think I'm trying to convert them to my tastes. I am working on a cd-r that will showcase noiserock and off-time nerd punk throughout the last  decade (as filtered through my not-so-big collection of music). Tentative title is "the modern spazz".  I think the format I'm going to go for is: hook, no hook, hook, psych/noise jam..and repeat.
Logged
I am older now.

aparrish

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 115
    • View Profile
    • http://myth.livejournal.com/
So... who wants a mixtape?
« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2005, 05:49:27 pm »

Quote from: "antioch"
ONE of my fears when making mixtapes is that the person receiving the tape might think I'm trying to convert them to my tastes. I am working on a cd-r that will showcase noiserock and off-time nerd punk throughout the last  decade (as filtered through my not-so-big collection of music). Tentative title is "the modern spazz".  I think the format I'm going to go for is: hook, no hook, hook, psych/noise jam..and repeat.


Antioch, I am very interested in this and although I'm sure it will be a compelling mix I promise not to feel thereby pressured to convert to your (no doubt very awesome) taste in music.

Personally I've been working on a mix that finds the common aesthetic thread through lofi ((pseudo-)ethnic) (psych) folk, drone, slowcore, shoegaze and dream pop.  Frankly, it will be devastating.  If anyone is interested, let me know and I will send you a copy.

I was in Vilnius in September yet I failed to visit the Bust of Frank Zappa.  A deathbed regret if I ever heard of one. :(
Logged

Thee

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 51
  • I adidas Rio
    • View Profile
    • New England Fashion Update!
So... who wants a mixtape?
« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2005, 08:06:49 pm »

I have never made a mixtape before.  Except live.  I guess being a DJ counts as making a mix tape.  It's kind of the same idea.

And wait, I did make my Dad a modest penis mixtape.  Which he gave to someone else to so they could get hip to them.  So I have to say that's a pretty good record, it was so good, someone then shares it with someone else.  I think that should be the goal for all mixtapes.

That said, I would be interested in the zappa mixes alls yalls have.
Logged
R U Passionate??

antioch

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 185
  • fuggedaboudit!
    • View Profile
    • Facehugger Records
So... who wants a mixtape?
« Reply #27 on: December 05, 2005, 09:00:03 pm »

Quote from: "aparrish"
Quote from: "antioch"
ONE of my fears when making mixtapes is that the person receiving the tape might think I'm trying to convert them to my tastes. I am working on a cd-r that will showcase noiserock and off-time nerd punk throughout the last  decade (as filtered through my not-so-big collection of music). Tentative title is "the modern spazz".  I think the format I'm going to go for is: hook, no hook, hook, psych/noise jam..and repeat.


Antioch, I am very interested in this and although I'm sure it will be a compelling mix I promise not to feel thereby pressured to convert to your (no doubt very awesome) taste in music.

Personally I've been working on a mix that finds the common aesthetic thread through lofi ((pseudo-)ethnic) (psych) folk, drone, slowcore, shoegaze and dream pop.  Frankly, it will be devastating.  If anyone is interested, let me know and I will send you a copy.

I was in Vilnius in September yet I failed to visit the Bust of Frank Zappa.  A deathbed regret if I ever heard of one. :(


 You got it, dude! //michelle tanner
I appreciate you facing my potential mixtape with such equanamity.
I am interested in yours as well; It seems like it will be at least less than 2 steps from mercilesness.

 More bands need to describe themselves as "slowcore." It sounds better than "stoner," I think. At least slowcore is a genre name that won't incriminate you to your parents.
Logged
I am older now.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
So... who wants a mixtape?
« Reply #28 on: December 05, 2005, 10:44:37 pm »

Quote from: "antioch"
More bands need to describe themselves as "slowcore." It sounds better than "stoner," I think. At least slowcore is a genre name that won't incriminate you to your parents.


Stoner is a perfectly fine term to describe music.  Stoner rock or stoner metal could never be replaced by slowcore (which makes me think of Galaxie 500, Ride or maybe Low).  And if you're describing it to your parents, for some reason, just drop the stoner.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

aparrish

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 115
    • View Profile
    • http://myth.livejournal.com/
So... who wants a mixtape?
« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2005, 11:06:43 pm »

Quote from: "miles"
Stoner is a perfectly fine term to describe music.  Stoner rock or stoner metal could never be replaced by slowcore (which makes me think of Galaxie 500, Ride or maybe Low).  And if you're describing it to your parents, for some reason, just drop the stoner.


Yeah, basically when I say "slowcore" I mean "Low."
Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up