Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Did you know...
that there is no way to put a picture of a pug in the News Box?

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: So... who wants a mixtape?  (Read 14011 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

antioch

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 185
  • fuggedaboudit!
    • View Profile
    • Facehugger Records
So... who wants a mixtape?
« Reply #30 on: December 06, 2005, 02:03:05 am »

While we're at it, would you guys want to clarify "Dirge," "Sludge," and "Doom" for me?
Logged
I am older now.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
So... who wants a mixtape?
« Reply #31 on: December 06, 2005, 03:45:40 am »

Quote from: "aparrish"
I was in Vilnius in September yet I failed to visit the Bust of Frank Zappa.  A deathbed regret if I ever heard of one. :(

That is awesome.  Truely awesome.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
So... who wants a mixtape?
« Reply #32 on: December 06, 2005, 05:10:04 am »

pmcd9-- did you just call a man's deathbed regret awesome?
Have you no soul?
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
So... who wants a mixtape?
« Reply #33 on: December 06, 2005, 03:15:57 pm »

I have tentatively put together a 2005 year-end mix, titled "Catie 'n' Goo."  It is the sister mix to 2003's Me and the Bean (pun absolutely intended).  Should be available in a couple of weeks--need to make sure I don't pick up any more mix-worthy music before the end of the year.  It will be available for exchange; PM me if interested.

I also just reproduced 2004's mix, "Centreville, QC."  I had made a single copy back in January, and then my hard drive crashed, losing the CD burner track-listing and all the artwork.  I've managed to put it back together, but made a very limited number of copies and they're all accounted for.  I can put mp3s up for download though.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

Beatrice

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 280
    • View Profile
So... who wants a mixtape?
« Reply #34 on: December 08, 2005, 12:03:14 am »

Quote from: "Doc"
Damnit mix tapes sound like an awesome idea, but I'm fairly sure all would mock my total musical tastelessness. Or I'd get spiteful and fill a CD with Zappa and no one wants that.


I would love that!  I love that you would do that!

And also, now i'm confused as to who is offering and who is not.  I have neither my own computer nor a burner right now, but I'll be putting a mix together in my brain.  If you want one, I'll post here or soemwhere new when i've got the ways and means all worked out.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
So... who wants a mixtape?
« Reply #35 on: December 08, 2005, 04:43:20 am »

I just want to make sure I understand what I wish to undertake here, between my friends and I a mix tape has always just been a collection of cool songs normally with some kind of thematic link or at least an order in which they are good to listen to, this is what is being discussed here?
Just wanted to check before I start amassing and sorting through songs and then everyone else goes fully DJ on me with the mixing and the splicing and I am the non-musical jerk.

Zappa was so prolific do you think it would be safe for as many people to make Zappa mix tapes as possible? I think we'd still have even odds of not having overlap on the tracks.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
So... who wants a mixtape?
« Reply #36 on: December 08, 2005, 04:52:51 am »

Quote from: "Doc"
Zappa was so prolific do you think it would be safe for as many people to make Zappa mix tapes as possible? I think we'd still have even odds of not having overlap on the tracks.

 if we were to exclude anything off of Strictly Commercial I'd say likely  there would be very little overlap between the mixes.

Me, i'm just going to put Billy the Mountain on mine.  That's it, here's your mixtape.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
So... who wants a mixtape?
« Reply #37 on: December 08, 2005, 04:55:01 am »

Dammit!  You beat me to it.  

I just listen to Billy the Mountain an hour ago.  Good ol' Studebaker Hoch and his cocksucking flies.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

V-Adore

  • Guest
So... who wants a mixtape?
« Reply #38 on: December 08, 2005, 05:25:35 am »

Quote from: "Doc"
I just want to make sure I understand what I wish to undertake here, between my friends and I a mix tape has always just been a collection of cool songs normally with some kind of thematic link or at least an order in which they are good to listen to, this is what is being discussed here?
Just wanted to check before I start amassing and sorting through songs and then everyone else goes fully DJ on me with the mixing and the splicing and I am the non-musical jerk.

Well, that's what I mean. I picked out some tracks that I associated with a theme (in this case, Murakami Haruki's novel Pinball 1973), put them in an order I felt was pleasing, and burnt a CD. No mixmasterology here.

Also, just out of curiosity: has everyone who wants a CD PM'ed their address? Seriously, don't worry; you don't have to be a non-newbie or be a member of the Awesome Kids Club or anything. I will send CDs to all, although it may take me some time to figure out how to mail stuff to Australia (sorry, Doc, but I'll try).
Logged

starlight

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 323
    • View Profile
    • http://www.livejournal.com/~aekastar
So... who wants a mixtape?
« Reply #39 on: December 08, 2005, 08:11:18 am »

Well, now I did.

..and I dunno of that Murakami novel and I thought I read them all... what in the hell?

I'll have to go googling in a bit here....

[Edit: Okay, I checked wikipedia and read it was out of print, so it made more sense (the earliest book I read was 'A Sheep Chase' and I've read everything that came after that is in english).

I did find this.  is it the whole thing?  if so, I'll get to reading it sometime soon.

Anyway, yeah, what a diversion...
back to music talk!]
Logged
Texas only kept me awake

V-Adore

  • Guest
So... who wants a mixtape?
« Reply #40 on: December 08, 2005, 03:29:28 pm »

Quote from: "starlight"
Well, now I did.

..and I dunno of that Murakami novel and I thought I read them all... what in the hell?

I'll have to go googling in a bit here....

[Edit: Okay, I checked wikipedia and read it was out of print, so it made more sense (the earliest book I read was 'A Sheep Chase' and I've read everything that came after that is in english).

I did find this.  is it the whole thing?  if so, I'll get to reading it sometime soon.

Anyway, yeah, what a diversion...
back to music talk!]

That is the full thing, yeah. (As far as I know, Pinball has never come out in a legitimate English-language translation over here, which is sort of stupid, since it's a direct prequel to Wild Sheep Chase. It's the second book in the Rat Tetralogy, or so I have been told; I'm led to understand that the Rat Tetralogy has been indifferently localized at best.)
Logged

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
So... who wants a mixtape?
« Reply #41 on: December 08, 2005, 05:37:30 pm »

Have you guys read Kafka On The Beach?
Some might disagree, but I personally believe that the book form itself was carved out of fluffy clouds by beautiful angels, who pressed the forms into pages in a vice made of love. The words were then written in gold, and were not written by Murakam; yes, his was the hand which held the pen, but that hand was moved by the ineffable hand of God himself.
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!

starlight

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 323
    • View Profile
    • http://www.livejournal.com/~aekastar
So... who wants a mixtape?
« Reply #42 on: December 08, 2005, 06:14:34 pm »

Quote from: "Bozack"
Have you guys read Kafka On The Beach?
Some might disagree, but I personally believe that the book form itself was carved out of fluffy clouds by beautiful angels, who pressed the forms into pages in a vice made of love. The words were then written in gold, and were not written by Murakam; yes, his was the hand which held the pen, but that hand was moved by the ineffable hand of God himself.


Mmm yeah... it was my fav. book I read this year though I admit, I didn't read a lot of books this year.  still!

I actually tried to write a surrealistic novel last year (there were things falling out of the sky and an old man) and once I read this, I realised I was so off though I felt weird there were similar elements at all knowing I hadn't read this yet even if Murakami was an influence on it.  of course, I say this like I'm some accomplished author.... really, it was just for that NaNoWriMo thing.. and this year I failed at even making it past 1k.  heh.
Logged
Texas only kept me awake

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
So... who wants a mixtape?
« Reply #43 on: December 08, 2005, 11:24:08 pm »

Don't sweat it V, this rock is a fair franging way away. Thanks for allaying (alaying? Allying? damnit) my fears re: mixtapes.

Now I have to find these books too... if only becuase the titles sound good.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
So... who wants a mixtape?
« Reply #44 on: December 09, 2005, 06:05:50 am »

Quote from: "V-Adore"
I will send CDs to all, although it may take me some time to figure out how to mail stuff to Australia (sorry, Doc, but I'll try).

It's just like mailing anywhere else, you just gotta put a few more stamps on.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up