Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

No, Philippe! Too soon!

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Movies you just *know* you'll HATE  (Read 6534 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

yu-huang

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: -1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 92
    • View Profile
    • xy7htk
Movies you just *know* you'll HATE
« on: December 04, 2005, 06:56:16 pm »

For what I gather, I already hate "Closer" with a passion. I also intend to hate that Q. Tarantino production called "Hostel" that's coming out anytime now. Many more (many, many more) to come... ^^
Logged
the ominous finger-pointing of street aggression

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Movies you just *know* you'll HATE
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2005, 09:37:13 pm »

Man, you are just a glutton for punishment.  The big man loves Quentin Tarantino.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Movies you just *know* you'll HATE
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2005, 10:25:57 pm »

Is the big man Jough or God in this context? Also, Hostel? I have not heard of so far and I am a reasonably big QT fan, (Movies == Good, Audio Commentary involving him == SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP!!!, seriously check the deleted scenes on pulp fiction some time).

For once I actually don't have any movies to pre-emptively hate off the top of my head, just a second....
Huh, just looking at the next couple of months releases I can't really bring myself to froth over anything, though this is Australian releases you may be more inundated with excrement over there.
Let's go with Zorro since sequels almost always suck especially when there's a kid to do cute yet heroic kid stuff (anyone remember the Mummy 2?).
Fuck*ng Kids.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

misterqueue

  • Sick Fuck
  • VIP
  • R I S O T T O ?
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2011
  • I can do anything I want. And so can you.
    • View Profile
    • A Reason for Diseasin'
Re: Movies you just *know* you'll HATE
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2005, 05:07:34 am »

Quote from: "yu-huang"
For what I gather, I already hate "Closer" with a passion.


Answering my questions in another thread by starting a new thread is something a dick does.

Baby baby, I'm just kidding.. why you gotta make me hit YOU?!
Logged
So it's satire, is it?  Well that changes everything!

Lockjaw is serious times.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: Movies you just *know* you'll HATE
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2005, 05:45:36 am »

Quote from: "yu-huang"
For what I gather, I already hate "Closer" with a passion.


From what you gather?  You aren't sure yet, or you were in the middle of watching it while you wrote this post?

Quote
I also intend to hate that Q. Tarantino production called "Hostel" that's coming out anytime now. Many more (many, many more) to come... ^^


You intend to hate a movie that you have not seen yet?  Man, you really are a fuckin' crap dude, aren't you?

yu-huang

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: -1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 92
    • View Profile
    • xy7htk
Movies you just *know* you'll HATE
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2005, 09:09:06 am »

*gives up, runs away crying*
Logged
the ominous finger-pointing of street aggression

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Movies you just *know* you'll HATE
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2005, 06:15:27 pm »

For what it's worth, if you happen to live with some people below the age of 10, you get to see LOTS of movies you know you are going to hate:

Like:

Wild Thornberrys
Rugrats
SpongeBob Square#####
The Disney one with the Llama
SpyKids 2
SpyKids 3D

Movies I hate but haven't seen yet:

March of the Penguins
*****s
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Movies you just *know* you'll HATE
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2005, 09:18:14 pm »

March of the Penguins was excellent.  Excellent photography and not smarmy, cutesy or heartwarming in the least.  

I only saw the first Spy Kids, and it was pretty darn good.  The other two looked pretty cheesy.

Haven't seen SpongeBob movie, but I dig the humor on the cartoons, so I'd probably be OK with the movie.

Chicken Little looks contrived to me.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Movies you just *know* you'll HATE
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2005, 09:24:20 pm »

Quote from: "AugustWest"
March of the Penguins was excellent.  Excellent photography and not smarmy, cutesy or heartwarming in the least.  

I only saw the first Spy Kids, and it was pretty darn good.  The other two looked pretty cheesy.

Haven't seen SpongeBob movie, but I dig the humor on the cartoons, so I'd probably be OK with the movie.

Chicken Little looks contrived to me.


So two hours of documentary footage of penguins was tolerable? I'm still not sure I could take it. It sounds like somthing that should be on an IMAX - was it?

The first spy kids was OK but, yeah, the others, feh. Spongebob: I fell asleep during the movie (in the theater) but it had funny bits.

I have to say that my wife actually takes the kid to the live Sesame Street shows. I'm sure I couldn't take that.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Movies you just *know* you'll HATE
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2005, 09:26:36 pm »

I think they did release an IMAX version.  

It's not a long movie -- maybe 1:20.  But the story is pretty compelling.  Those formal little boids overcome some serious adversity just to reproduce.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

V-Adore

  • Guest
Movies you just *know* you'll HATE
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2005, 09:44:24 pm »

Quote from: "AugustWest"
I think they did release an IMAX version.  

It's not a long movie -- maybe 1:20.  But the story is pretty compelling.  Those formal little boids overcome some serious adversity just to reproduce.

Yeah, it's actually not smarmy-cutesy, if that's what you're worried about. They adequately convey how harrowing life in the wild is for penguins (almost a little too much -- after a certain point, I got to thinking "oh, how are they going to kill a penguin in this segment now?"). My only complaint is that they anthropomorphocize more than might be technically appropriate; there's a lot of attribution of humanlike emotions to the penguins, which as a scientist I find pretty dubious. On the other hand, that allows the creation of an actual narrative, which is a plus for the viewer.

Really, unless you hate looking at penguins, you'll probably at least find MotP tolerable. It's an impressive look at life at extremes.
Logged

Hobo Frenzy

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 222
  • fuck*ng Moto Guzzi
    • View Profile
    • the best site in the universe
Movies you just *know* you'll HATE
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2005, 10:08:41 pm »

eww! ack no! Spy Kids? This movie is filth beneath my foot! I don't think the sequels would any better.*

Movie I think I would hate? Well up until a few weeks ago I though I would hate "A Very Long Engagement" but that turned out to be pretty good. I thought it was going to be an annoying Romance Movie, but it was an interesting and funny romance movie. How come the french can pull off a good romance but Hollywood can't?

I am pretty sure I wouldn't like the new Harry Potter movie, Rent, Jarhead, Get Rich or Die Trying, Saw 2, The Devil's Rejects or Ocean Twelve. But I'll probably end up seeing them and loving them all. I'm normally wrong when I judge a movie before seeing it.


*Remember, to each his own
Logged
Hey, what's this? Cursive?

V-Adore

  • Guest
Movies you just *know* you'll HATE
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2005, 10:11:41 pm »

Quote from: "Hobo Frenzy"
I am pretty sure I wouldn't like the new Harry Potter movie, Rent, Jarhead, Get Rich or Die Trying, Saw 2, The Devil's Rejects or Ocean Twelve. But I'll probably end up seeing them and loving them all. I'm normally wrong when I judge a movie before seeing it.

I can't speak for the others, but Ocean's Twelve is fun if you take the movie on its own terms. It's nowhere near as smart as Ocean's 11, and nowhere near as focused on the heist elements, but it's a film where a lot of people are obviously having a lot of fun on their second outing as the characters. (Julia Roberts's character in particular is actually given something to do.) Skippable if you didn't see or care for the first, but if you liked the first one, O12 may well work for you.
Logged

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
Movies you just *know* you'll HATE
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2005, 10:31:46 pm »

Dude, come on now.  Spy Kids 3d is fine if you see it as it is meant to be seen: at the drivein with friends, with pot, chocolate bars, and cheap red wine.
Logged
goose means greedy

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Movies you just *know* you'll HATE
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2005, 10:42:09 pm »

Quote from: "andalucia"
Dude, come on now.  Spy Kids 3d is fine if you see it as it is meant to be seen: at the drivein with friends, with pot, chocolate bars, and cheap red wine.


That's just a recipe for me vomiting.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up