Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Established 2003
TOUAMB: Wandering off topic since the early 21st Century

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Christmas Movies!  (Read 9016 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

misterqueue

  • Sick Fuck
  • VIP
  • R I S O T T O ?
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2011
  • I can do anything I want. And so can you.
    • View Profile
    • A Reason for Diseasin'
Christmas Movies!
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2005, 03:19:15 am »

I watch The Nightmare Before Christmas every xmas and halloween actually.. sort of a personal tradition I suppose.
Logged
So it's satire, is it?  Well that changes everything!

Lockjaw is serious times.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Christmas Movies!
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2005, 03:41:59 am »

Quote from: "Bozack"
Where do you think you're going? Nobody's leaving. Nobody's walking out on this fun, old-fashioned family Christmas. No, no. We're all in this together. This is a full-blown, four-alarm holiday emergency here. We're gonna press on, and we're gonna have the hap, hap, happiest Christmas since Bing Crosby tap-danced with Danny fuck*ng Kaye. And when Santa squeezes his fat white ass down that chimney tonight, he's gonna find the jolliest bunch of assholes this side of the nuthouse.

That Clark Griswold is a funny mother fucker.  However, I saw Vegas Vacation (or part of it) the other day and the charm had worn off by whatever volume that was.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

BatzRadio

  • Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 39
  • Check the record, check the guy's rock record.
    • View Profile
    • http://batzradio.livejournal.com
Christmas Movies!
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2005, 03:50:57 am »

I've always been a big fan of The Ref. I also finally came to make peace with It's A Wonderful Life in the past few years. And various renditions of A Christmas Carol are good with me (although I have preference for the CBS George C. Scott one and the Muppets one).

National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation I haven't seen enough.

Besides that, many animated specials and Blackadder's Christmas Carol is the good stuff.
Logged

Hobo Frenzy

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 222
  • fuck*ng Moto Guzzi
    • View Profile
    • the best site in the universe
Christmas Movies!
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2005, 04:02:42 am »

Bozack before reading that fine print I knew exactly what it was and I knew it line for line. Is that a bad thing? God bless America!

Also I've never seen "It's a Wonderful Life" is it a wonderful movie?
Logged
Hey, what's this? Cursive?

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Christmas Movies!
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2005, 04:14:06 am »

Quote from: "Hobo Frenzy"
Also I've never seen "It's a Wonderful Life" is it a wonderful movie?
It's a life afirming story beautifully told.  Jimmy Stewart at his best (and that's saying a lot).

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Christmas Movies!
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2005, 08:12:05 am »

I think "Bad Santa" is going to make its way into my yearly viewing along with the Rankin/Bass production of "Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer" and "A Charlie Brown Christmas."

I never bothered getting the A Christmas Story DVD because I watch the marathon about 8 times every year (I mean the entire movie about that many times) as it's always on in the background here.  God bless you, TBS.

I have to say, though, my favourite holiday film is still "Die Hard."

arkabee

  • VIP
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 153
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1280
  • i still hate the new forum software.
    • View Profile
Christmas Movies!
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2005, 02:34:43 pm »

i really think the charlie brown christmas is the pinnacle of notstalgic christmas entertainment.

and when i hear that fuck*ng car commercial rape the speacial place in my heart by molesting that wonderful song, SMASH SMASH SMASH.
fuckers.

i also really liked the island of misfit toys one, because, hey, dentist.


the movie with the kid who wants the bb gun that apparently every person except me has seen all of?  only seen parts of it.  eh.

saw part of elf the other weekend at a place that had cable and thought i should rent it as it looks fun and happy.

christmas movies should have happy endings.
Logged
"God forbid I'd ever be separated from my Duran Duran for a single minute!"
-August West
"Maybe Hanson or the Jonas Brothers might finally lose their shit one day."
-Nabubrush

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Christmas Movies!
« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2005, 03:18:21 pm »

Quote from: "arkabee"
i also really liked the island of misfit toys one, because, hey, dentist.


Yeah!  That one kicks ass!

Quote from: "arkabee"
the movie with the kid who wants the bb gun that apparently every person except me has seen all of?  only seen parts of it.  eh.


That would be A Christmas Story.

Quote from: "arkabee"
christmas movies should have happy endings.


I agree totally.  My cousins were watching a movie with Michael Keaton last night, where he dies and turns into a snowman!  How could that possibly be good!?!?

Oh, and I also loved Bad Santa, Jough.  Even that had a happy ending.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

Hobo Frenzy

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 222
  • fuck*ng Moto Guzzi
    • View Profile
    • the best site in the universe
Christmas Movies!
« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2005, 05:28:44 pm »

A Christmas story was pretty good. But I don't think I could watch it ever year, or even every other year. It's not that good. But the part in the Chinese restaurant...oh hahah man thats good. "Deck the harrs wif barrs of harry, Far Ra Ra Ra Ra, Ra Ra Ra Ra!" Stereotypes crack me up.
Logged
Hey, what's this? Cursive?

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Christmas Movies!
« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2005, 06:07:46 pm »

Well, considering the SO bought me this for Christmas last year, you know what I'll be watching tonight.  The tree comes in a really awful plastic box, and it's really the antithesis of the movies' message.  As my SO said as I opened it "It negates itself by existing!"

Also, I enjoy Edward Scissorhands every Christmas as well.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

V-Adore

  • Guest
Christmas Movies!
« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2005, 06:23:01 pm »

Quote from: "side_show"
Well, considering the SO bought me this for Christmas last year, you know what I'll be watching tonight.  The tree comes in a really awful plastic box, and it's really the antithesis of the movies' message.  As my SO said as I opened it "It negates itself by existing!"

Wow. That is... one hell of an object.

I do love a quote from the eBay page: "The bendable branches allow you to make it look just how you want, super pathetic or just kind of pathetic." You can customize the patheticness levels of your fake plastic tree! That wears me out.
Logged

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Christmas Movies!
« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2005, 06:31:39 pm »

The e-bay price is more than twice the original purchase price of 24.99 too...the tree is unavailable from the distributor.
Logged

Turbo Ninja

  • A Tall Glass of Tuaca
  • Mr. Bear (Cornelius)
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 125
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 689
    • View Profile
Christmas Movies!
« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2005, 09:40:28 pm »

My dad's side of the family always watches The Godfather.  This tradition goes back to the late 70's or early 80's when my grandparents got a VCR for Christmas.  This was (so I'm told) when blank Betamax tapes were like $50 each or something stupid and the VCR itself was like an XBOX wrapped in a TiVo with special DVD recording technology.  I remember that it had a "remote" control, which was attached to the VCR itself by a cord that was maybe 12 feet long.

The first movie they got was The Godfather (maybe taped off of HBO?) and they watched it on Christmas Day.  We've kept that one going at the family celebration every year since I can remember.

My favorite holiday movie is also my favorite overall movie, Die Hard.  People argue with me that it's not a holiday film.  Those people are assholes, just like the people who say "Fairytale of New York" by The Pogues and Kristy MacColl is not a Christmas song.  You cannot play that song eleven months out of the year.  It just isn't proper.

"Now I have a machine gun.  Ho ho ho."
Logged

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Christmas Movies!
« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2005, 04:42:07 am »

Quote from: "Turbo Ninja"
just like the people who say "Fairytale of New York" by The Pogues and Kristy MacColl is not a Christmas song.  You cannot play that song eleven months out of the year.  It just isn't proper.

I listened to that song pretty much 12 months out of the year when it appeared on Bozacks mixtape.

F'n awesome.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Beatrice

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 280
    • View Profile
Christmas Movies!
« Reply #29 on: December 07, 2005, 03:24:30 pm »

Quote from: "pmcd9"

I listened to that song pretty much 12 months out of the year when it appeared on Bozacks mixtape.

F'n awesome.

~Paul


I have a mixCD from Bozack that has a c*ck drawn over the whole thing and then has written in the corner "this means a CD from [Bozack's real name]."  But then that got stolen with my whole binder of CDs so someone else somewhere (probably my old manager?)  can now learn to appreciate it.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up