Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Young man on the #6 bus, The Doors were not a British band.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Pre-Sickness  (Read 6500 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Pre-Sickness
« on: December 08, 2005, 03:09:27 pm »

Help!

I am about to get majorly sick.  I had a sore throat yesterday and today I am all dizzy and achey and sleepy.  Bring on the suggestions of preventative measures!  Anything you've actually tried, and that actually worked please!

I usually have a one day buffer that, if I take appropriate measures, I can dodge getting full-blown-sick and today is the day.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
Pre-Sickness
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2005, 03:29:09 pm »

Keep the fluids up, lots of bed rest.  Everything your parents told you is right.  Orange juice.
Logged
goose means greedy

V-Adore

  • Guest
Pre-Sickness
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2005, 03:30:06 pm »

Yeah, exactly: orange juice, water, healthy food, and as much sleep as you can manage. Take care.
Logged

acoxcae

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 314
  • Because I don't have one. Never have.
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
Pre-Sickness
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2005, 04:15:25 pm »

Airborne.  I don't know if you've heard of it or not, but it's basically an alka-seltzer tablet with enough Vitamin C (and some other beneficial vitamins) to nourish a small African village for a few months - dissolve in some water, and take at least twice about four hours apart.  If I catch things early enough, that has never failed to stop the progression - it's actually stopped a couple colds/flus even as they entered the first "hell day."

Also, sleep, and as much water as you can drink.

I apologize for the horrid taste and appearance of Airborne.
Logged
this new board has a shitload of buttons.

why are there no zippers?
-thanks ark

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Pre-Sickness
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2005, 04:39:23 pm »

Cold-eeze zinc lozenges.  They have actual journal article citations on the box.  Either they really work, or I find an excellent placebo effect results from scientific journal citations.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Pre-Sickness
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2005, 05:04:49 pm »

My esso uses Airborne. She claims they help and don't taste totally like ass. Although I refuse to wash any glass she uses them in. That shit leaves an unholy residue.
Logged

Turbo Ninja

  • A Tall Glass of Tuaca
  • Mr. Bear (Cornelius)
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 125
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 689
    • View Profile
Pre-Sickness
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2005, 06:03:46 pm »

I had one of those about-to-get-sick days on Monday.  I jammed myself full of vitamin C courtesy of Naked Juice and a couple glasses of grapefruit juice.  I took a Tavist of some kind before bed on Monday night, and then I took a multi-vitamin and had three Cold-Eeze green tea zinc lozenges during the day on Tuesday.   A little chicken soup for lunch and a ham 'n cheese sandwich for dinner and I woke up feeling like a new man yesterday.

I'm still a wee bit sniffly but it's hell of preferable to the scratchy throat and stuffy head I had on Monday and Tuesday.
Logged

arkabee

  • VIP
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 153
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1280
  • i still hate the new forum software.
    • View Profile
Pre-Sickness
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2005, 09:15:19 pm »

i've heard the zinc thing, never tried it.

i buy 2 gallons of orange juice and drink until i can't drink anymore,
take as much b complex as i can.
and take some nyquil to goto sleep earlier than normal.

the next day keep drinking the orange juice.

edit-
and get sick anyways.
Logged
"God forbid I'd ever be separated from my Duran Duran for a single minute!"
-August West
"Maybe Hanson or the Jonas Brothers might finally lose their shit one day."
-Nabubrush

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Pre-Sickness
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2005, 09:39:29 pm »

I've been told Zicam works well.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

Turbo Ninja

  • A Tall Glass of Tuaca
  • Mr. Bear (Cornelius)
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 125
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 689
    • View Profile
Pre-Sickness
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2005, 09:46:52 pm »

Don't overdo your intake of vitamins and minerals.  Your body gets full up on that stuff and can't process anymore after a certain threshold, and you end up flushing the excess away (literally [unless you have an outhouse or just piss in the backyard or something, but I'm assuming you have a flushable toilet if you've able to read this on the Internet]).

Wait three or four hours between megadosing, people.  That's what I'm trying to say.
Logged

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Pre-Sickness
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2005, 11:18:35 pm »

I know with vitamin C at least it is so water soluble that anything your body doesn't need right then is excreted right quick so I favour the many many glasses of juice method over the tablet form.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Pre-Sickness
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2005, 12:56:31 am »

Quote from: "Doc"
I know with vitamin C at least it is so water soluble that anything your body doesn't need right then is excreted right quick so I favour the many many glasses of juice method over the tablet form.


Yeah, except tablets have no calories.  For those like me trying to get rid of a gut, orange juice has too much sugar to be doing this.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Pre-Sickness
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2005, 02:59:34 am »

But calories are so deliciously tasty.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

Bobby Isosceles

  • Guest
Pre-Sickness
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2005, 04:44:47 am »

Take lots and lots of vitamin c,  and proper dosages of zinc. Vitamin C is water soluble so if you overdose, you'll get the runs, but you'll be okay. Use the recommended dosage of zinc; if you start popping zinc like candy, you should know there's an inverse relationship between zinc and copper; too much of one will lower your body's stores of the other. Generally a multivitamin has balanced levels.
Logged

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Pre-Sickness
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2005, 08:48:36 am »

Thanks all.

Unfortunatly I have to avoid vitamin C in large amounts as in pill or juice form it gives me severe heart burn, which is why I'm awake right now at a quarter to three AM.  I drank juice and ate Christmas oranges.  Ohh.  I should be sleeping, but instead I am not... sleeping.  Ohh...  Why is it that when I get a cold I feel like I just want to curl up and die?  Gah!
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up