Damn you, sir! Phô was always my sickness (and hangover!) cure in Seattle, but there's no sign of it out here in the middle of nowhere. Why are you always reminding me of what I gave up when I left civilization?
You could make your own. I agree that it's a fantastic hangover cure and cold medication. I have the following recipe from a book I informally call "The Big Book of Asian Cooking"; I've never made it myself, so I can't vouch for it. I think it's something best left to professionals, and we have plenty of those around here. But if you're in dire straits and willing to spend some time on it, you might give it a shot.
First, the stock. Not just any stock, it's "Southeast Asian Beef Stock":
2 to 2 1/2 lb. oxtail, beef shank, or ribs
1 lb. daikon, peeled and cut into chunks
2-3 oz. fresh ginger, thinly sliced lengthwise
5 scallions, trimmed, halved, cut into six-inch lengths, and "lightly
crushed"
1 large yellow onion, peeled and studded with 5 cloves
5 star anise
1 piece of cassia bark, 3-4 inches long, or a cinnamon stick
2 T. granulated sugar
1 t. peppercorns
kosher salt
Place the beef bones in a pot and cover with 5 quarts of water. Add everything but the salt and bring to a boil. Skim off the foam, then
reduce the heat and add salt to taste. Simmer uncovered, occasionally skimming off any foam, until the stock is reduced by about 2 quarts, about 3 hours. Skim off fat if you see fit.
Strain the stock and discard the solids.
Then, the soup:
8 oz. dried rice sticks
10 c. of the stock
2-3 c. mung bean sprouts
12 oz. beef eye of round, sliced paper thin
1 small yellow onion, sliced into this wedges
12 saw leaves (I don't know what these are) or 1 c. chopped cilantro
Condiments:
30 thai basil leaves
3 scallions, trimmed and sliced thin
red chile & garlic paste
sauteed or fried shallots
2 limes, sliced into wedges
hoisin sauce
giraffe sauce
Place the rice noodles in a dish with water to cover. Let stand until pliable, about 30 minutes, and drain.
Bring the beef stock to a gentle boil, and simmer until ready to use.
Fill another pot with water and bring to a boil. Divide your rice noodles into individual portions (this recipe serves 4 to 6), and one at a time, lower them into the water in a sieve. Untangle the noodles with chopsticks, and boil just until tender, about 7 seconds. Remove and drain, then place into individual bowls. Throw 1/3 to 1/2 cup of bean sprouts into each bowl too.
Add the onion to the stock and cook for five minutes. Put a few slices of raw beef into each bowl, then ladle the stock into the bowl. (The stock will cook the beef; if you have issues with this, you can cook the beef in the water first like you did the noodles.) Server with the myriad garnishes and condiments.