I'm of the opinion that the death penalty is "wrong" - but really, who gives a shit if it's right or wrong morally when deciding on whether something should be legal or not? It's not up to the state to determine mores, only to enforce its laws that protect the sovereignty and rights of its citizens.
I agree, in that deciding whether the death penalty is wrong and deciding whether the death penalty is unconstitutional are different issues. In fact, I wrote a paper on for a Philosophy of Law class. However, many disagree with that idea--that the two issues (the morality and constitutionality of a law) are actually
that different.
Ronald Dworkin is someone who may argue more along these lines.
What matters isn't the rightness of capital punishment (another fine euphamism for the death penalty, or as they used to say in the U.K., in her majesty's permanent custody) but whether it's useful or not.
This is a specific and perhaps not that widely accepted theory of law. It's not exactly utilitarianism, maybe, because a utilitarian would argue something like a law is right (morally)
because it is useful, but it's close. I, and many people I know, and I'm sure many on this board, believe that it matters significanly whether a law is morally right. It might be separate from the question of a law's constitutionality, but it matters in the legislation process. It matters to the citizens and the state. I don't believe that there is a wall between morality and state, even if there is one between church and state (and I'm doubtful of that, too).
It sure isn't prevention or deterrance, since we know that violent crime has only increased since the advent of the legal death penalty in most states.
I think that the jury is still out on this, no? I know studies have shown that the rate of violence increases in some states after an execution, but I don't know the specifics. For example, if only muggings went up, but other types of violent crime went or stayed down, the death penalty might still be an effective deterrent. Don't get me wrong, I agree that it probably isn't that effective as a deterrent, but I think the issue is far from decided.
Is it a cost/benefits analysis, where it's just cheaper to kill someone now than to keep them in prison for the rest of their lives?
I mean, if the purpose is to keep a bad seed from hurting others, then if you imprison them that mission is accomplished. So why put them to death?
Yeah, I guess it's been shown that it's actually more expensive to execute someone than to lock him up for life, at least in the US. But look at that recent execution in Singapore--I'm sure that it was far less expensive than ones here. It was comparitively very swift punishment. Hard-liners here argue that the process should be much less complicated here. If it was, then it would probably cost much less to execute someone than it would be to lock him up for life. However, I think most Americans agree that to take someone's life, even a convicted killer's, is a very serious issue, and should be done only careful consideration and strict scrutiny. This takes a lot of money.