I figure maybe some of you have interesting perspectives on this situation I find myself in. Some of you are the lawyerly type, some have done the whole freelance/self employed thing, and many of you partake in the creative side of things. So I look for advice.
I'm here to pick brains. It's what I do. A lifetime obsession with the zombie arts (I was Juillard trained) pay off...
I have just been supplied with a contract of emplyment at work. This is several months after they employed me with a verbal agreement (March). Now, this is a job I have been hating for a couple of months now. My friend who got me the job and I was working with has been on extended sick leave due to bizarre brain issues, and the job has been going downhill with me as the only employee in the field. I've been doing web design for them, putting together various sites for clients, without any appraisal from my employers. I was just left to it.
They've since decided that we should be throwing simple sites out the door fast and efficient, ignoring issues such as w3c compliance and how long it takes to set up merchant accounting for a customer and the like. I am unable to do my job to the best of abilities due to management. But then I guess that's what work's about.
So, these contracts turn up, with many many offensive addendums. Right to search us or our vehicles randomly. No sick pay for Mondays. No headphones (and remember I code all day). And, probably pretty normal, but niether I nor my partner would be able to set up a competing business within a 20 mile radius of work (where I live) within 2 years.
You see, I kind of want to leave and do just that. I want to do web design on my own terms, and properly. I want to have time to make music and write and do something that way. I want to do what I want to do.
I also have a couple of ways of making some money if I leave. A big database job that would keep me going for 6 months. A couple of online ventures, that kind of thing.
So, my question to you. What do I do? Any advice or thoughts would be greatly appreciated, although I left it late, and have only a few days to really make a decision as to whether I sign away my rights to business and stay there a couple more months, somewhat limiting my opportunities, or do I walk out Jerry Maguire style and utterly fail to have a cute girl walk with me...
Side question: If I leave based on the terms of the contract, it would be understood legally, that I did not agree to those terms, and thus am not bound by them? I just want to be doubly sure before I go making a rash decision.